Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A fun little thing I'm doing and a question  (Read 1967 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: A fun little thing I'm doing and a question
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 03:39:50 am »

Oh my god I just got an idea for a special entity... I'm gonna call it; The Coalition! (Not to be confused with the MTG coalition) Doing this, I'm gonna remove every other civ's playability except the ant men, and make this a multi-national league of things. though in actuality i'm just gonna remove the brackets from each ones site_Controllable tag just in case the coalition doesnt work as intended. The way I intend it to work is a nation that has every creature i would normally have playable in it, though, if nothing else I'd settle for it being one race with the combined arsenal of every other race. (I'm even copypasting storm and clone trooper stuff into it).

edit; it didnt work.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:47:33 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 11:37:43 am »

You could try using the caste system to do it, like my Jedi and Sith. You could look at their raws for help merging them.

If you make the clones and stormtroopers gear available to the player, you might want to make a reaction to make crafting it possible.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 01:42:48 am »

You could try using the caste system to do it, like my Jedi and Sith. You could look at their raws for help merging them.

If you make the clones and stormtroopers gear available to the player, you might want to make a reaction to make crafting it possible.

good idea on the caste thing. Care to walk me through the process though? I learn better when taught like that

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »

Alright. The wiki mentions this process here.

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress wiki
If you read the section of this guide that dealt with entities, you may remember a passing mention of multi-creature civilisations and how they don't quite work as you may think they would. The castes system is your workaround. You could create a caste that is, for all intents and purposes, a human, and another caste of the same creature that acts exactly like a giant cave spider, put the creature in a civ, and get a human-spider civ. The only flaw in this approach is that the castes will interbreed.

So I'll walk you through an example civ that hybridizes giant cave spiders and humans. Starting off, here are the two originals.

Spoiler: Spider (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Human (click to show/hide)

Now, we start on the merging with a unique name.
[CREATURE:SPIDERMEN]

We need to put essential shared features in a top section for all the races to share. Parts that vary may be kept in the main creature areas. Generally only major, creature-defining tokens need to go on top. The wiki will tell you which tokens can be shared. Creature tokens means it needs to go on top, caste tokens can be separate.

Here's the top section for the spidermen. It's a bit small.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You might have noticed that some body detail plans are kept up here.
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]   
        [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
The reason for that is a bizarre bug I've noticed where if you attempt to put different material and tissues plans down in the castes, flesh starts to chip and fracture from blunt impacts like it's made of plastic.

Now we begin defining the human castes. I differentiate between male and female by adding an F or M after their name. Pretty much everything that has to do with the physical body goes here.

After that's done, we make the spiders.

The name at the top refers to the race as a whole. It will be their name in Legends mode, map screens, and art. Caste names are what the individuals will be called. Finally, here is the complete creature. *Continued on next post.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »

Finally, here is the complete creature.

In character creation, the player chooses which caste to play the same way you normally choose male or female.

And finally, we have a civ where humans and giant talking spiders live together in harmony.

I hope this was clear enough, but I can answer any questions you have about the process.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:28:02 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »

Well, I'll have to save this coalition idea for late. I'm feeling a bit lazy today since i just got home, so imma screw around and bug test my pack as is
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:44:10 pm by Kyubee »

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 12:23:16 am »

I'm changing the mod a smidgeon. I'm removing Teh Lolmod to make the pack a little more serious again, as well as due to my own personal confusion with it. I may, however, in exchange, add more stuff. I'm already planning on writing up some lore for it once it hits a version that is releasable in my opinion

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 11:11:23 pm »

Well now I lost all my mod tabs because my comp decided to close the browser for no reason and the tabs didnt appear in my history... gdi.
Pages: 1 2 [3]