Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lower end quests  (Read 1188 times)

TBDF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
lower end quests
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:36:09 pm »

lower end quests would help like a hunt for a wolf pack or animals

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
Re: lower end quests
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:21:33 pm »

The quest gives you literally nothing but a few points of good karma with that particular civ's 'cloud mind' of an entity that isnt even functional yet and a direction. If you want to hunt a wolf pack, i suggest finding a forest, finding a grey asterisk and having at it. And then for reputation you can go back into town and mention your fights with the locals, they will say 'that's hunters' work' and will probably give you rep with the civ. I think the only benefit to telling people things about your prowess or completing quests _at all_ is increasing the likelyhood they will do as you ask when given demands.
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 04:36:32 am »

What would be more impressive would be in a later arc, work as a site ranger at the same task for a nominal price per wolf head fee.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:47:39 am »

Quests from hearths were disabled for a while as the new point of adventure mode once the world was activated a few versions ago was to gain reputation naturally. Do good (or bad) stuff, people recognize your actions. This can be a simple as hunting a wolf pack if you like or you can kill monsters, wipe out bandit camps, etc. As well as everything a bard can manage.

Quests for hearthspeople were brought back recently because I guess it makes sense, but it's certainly not the only way to adventure your way through the world.

Once the world economy is introduced several releases from now it'll probably be easier to understand for new people, as knowing what to do to start off will be more like a traditional rpg (do stuff, get money, buy stuff in order to survive, do harder stuff). And 'jobs' will come naturally depending on what you're good at/interested in (rob stuff to eat as a beginner thief, kill stuff to eat as a beginner ranger, amuse village drunks for free board as a beginner bard, join the army if all else fails...).

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:25:16 am »

Joinig the army is an interesting one. Could involve partially giving up control to follow the army, gaining combat skills over a number of days, and only determining one's own actions during free time, the evenings, or conflicts... unless one wished to suddenly take back control to desert.

Anyway, discussing the suggestion.

lower end quests would help like a hunt for a wolf pack or animals
These are meant to be implemented, such as attacking a dangerous animal. One can even kill particularly nasty sasquatches, so there are some pretty weak potential quest-enemies.

Though this does depend on a reasonably weak animal attacking a civ in worldgen/during play. One can cherry-pick if one asks for every bit of trouble that ever happened for these, which is good when playing low level non-hearthperson characters trying to enter the service of a lord.

But generally, as soon as you get to be a hearthperson and maybe have one follower max, your actual duty is all:

"Ohyesverygood, you'lldofine, justgofindkill DeathtombstheAchingMalignerofMurder the InstagibTwistedShadowTrollBruteEliteWrestler in Gravepit the TrapofKilling."

So selection of easier quests based on one's fame would be nice for the difficult start enthusiasts. Perhaps, "kill one bandit", even, or gangs of wolves, weak enemies of the civ, etc, until you kill a dragon or something, in which case they start sending you after the local murdergods.
One wheel short of a wagon

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:41:37 am »

What about quests that don't involve killing things?  Like carrying a message to a king.  Or finding a magic herb to cure someone's disease.  Or throwing a cursed ring into a volcano.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 04:02:28 am »

What about quests that don't involve killing things?  Like carrying a message to a king.  Or finding a magic herb to cure someone's disease.  Or throwing a cursed ring into a volcano.
Hey (typical player adventurer) take this almighty ring and chuck it into The Vapid Pits of Unhealing please. Don't go taking over the world or anything.
Oh...sure...leave it to me.
One ring for the vampire/lich/min-maxer in his wooden hut...

It's a great idea, but would need a huge amount of infrastructure before we get anywhere near it. For an npc lord to know that he's in trouble, that there's no way for any news to reach the outside world, that sending an adventurer to reach the king would somehow give everyone a chance that troops could appear at the last minute before they're overrun...?

I guess we'll get there one day!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:11 pm »

Why not retrieval quests? Say, bring me the heart of an ettin? Bring me the blood of a vampire? Stuff like that.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 02:51:28 am »

Why not retrieval quests? Say, bring me the heart of an ettin? Bring me the blood of a vampire? Stuff like that.
But you don't really need these to be quests, do you? Just find out who the highest bidder for ettin hearts is and go sell a bunch to them. Presumably some wizard in a world where ettin hearts can be used as spell ingredients. I can see a lord obsessed with immortality ordering recovery of some vampire blood I suppose. But then again, who the heck would trust a player adventurer to recover vampire blood without some of it going 'missing'? :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 04:47:51 am »

But you don't really need these to be quests, do you? Just find out who the highest bidder for ettin hearts is and go sell a bunch to them. Presumably some wizard in a world where ettin hearts can be used as spell ingredients. I can see a lord obsessed with immortality ordering recovery of some vampire blood I suppose. But then again, who the heck would trust a player adventurer to recover vampire blood without some of it going 'missing'? :)

Then of course there's the impossible demands of rooster teeth etc that are unobtainable and would lead to unresolved quests. So without having the current bugs cleared up they wouldn't be able to pursue that anyway.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 05:42:48 am »

Then of course there's the impossible demands of rooster teeth etc that are unobtainable and would lead to unresolved quests. So without having the current bugs cleared up they wouldn't be able to pursue that anyway.
I'd hate to see random quests. What's the point of spending years creating a living world if a lord is going to randomly send you out for rooster teeth for no reason.

If you happen to find mutant rooster teeth lying around, and they happen to be rare and useful for something in your particular world, then great, show them off at the tavern, up your reputation as rooster spotter and carry on. No need for 'quests' at all.

New features (usually) have the related bugs addressed when they come to being implemented, so current state of the game isn't really relevant.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:45:58 am by Shonai_Dweller »