Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military questions on equipment  (Read 1176 times)

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military questions on equipment
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:01:36 pm »

I know it has been a while since I played, but I seem to remember having this issue before.  I cannot seem to get military people equip all the armor I tell them to.   I have manually chosen every single piece of equipment I want them to wear.  I have it set to replace clothing and set it to exact matches.  I have the squads training every month and usually 9 of 10 required every month.

I have even tried giving a manual station order to squads to see if that will make them go pick up their gear that I have sitting in armor stockpiles waiting.  They just will not !@#!@ing go get the armor I am telling them to get.  Usually it is the high boots and gauntlets. I don't know what else to do.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military questions on equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:02 pm »

I don't know for sure.  I manually assign armor also, with replace clothing and exact matches.  I haven't seen this come up with those settings, but here are some thoughts:

Is the squad assigned a uniform in addition to the armor you've manually assigned?  Boots and gauntlets makes me think conflict - boots don't fit over shoes and gauntlets don't fit over gloves+mittens.  Are the ones not picking up boots already wearing shoes?

Have you tried giving them time off?  I'm not certain they'll adjust their equipment while active.  I use rotations and assign right before the squad starts, so they may be picking up their right equipment when they go on duty.

Dunno, can't think of anything else it might be right now.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:32:28 am »

I usually make unifom and it works in 43.03.

Try NOT using bins in your armor stockpiles, use large stockpile or QSP. Sometimes bins interfere with equipping items, like with Ammo.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:47:28 am »

I know it has been a while since I played, but I seem to remember having this issue before.  I cannot seem to get military people equip all the armor I tell them to.   I have manually chosen every single piece of equipment I want them to wear.  I have it set to replace clothing and set it to exact matches.  I have the squads training every month and usually 9 of 10 required every month.

I have even tried giving a manual station order to squads to see if that will make them go pick up their gear that I have sitting in armor stockpiles waiting.  They just will not !@#!@ing go get the armor I am telling them to get.  Usually it is the high boots and gauntlets. I don't know what else to do.
Everything Mostall and MorsDux said, plus emphasis on 'have you tried giving them time off?'. Going to get the pieces of their uniform is a job, just like any other. When there are 0 idle dwarfs, you will see them pick up a piece of armor, then go off to haul a piece of wood, then maybe get another piece of equipment, then go get a dog tooth. They will fully equip quickly when there are 10 or more idle dwarves in the fort, outside of the possible problems that Mostall and MorsDux said. I make "this material" uniforms, without a weapon, and then assign the uniform to the squad and assign a specific weapon for each squad position, and do not allow non-artifact backpacks in the fort. I do not assign a squad order or activate a squad schedule until they are mostly done equipping, but I usually assign their squad to 't'raining at some barracks. This is on 43.05.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:05:44 am by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:08:52 am »

if you are continuously making armor and weapons, specifying items directly to equip might be time consuming but more effective on training, as every item made that is of higher quality than what a dorf currently has, will be target for grabs. Now if you make a masterful helm and your squad has helms from wellcrafted to exceptional, it is possible that the guy with the exceptional helm will drop his helm and go get the masterful one. Then the guy with a superior helm will see the exceptional helm dropped and drops his, getting the better one.
I have uniformed metal and leather and my 30-40 dorfs 10% is constantly equipping instead of training while im producing better and better armor and weapons melting the dropped ones.

It would be super nice to have a dfhack script to specify currently equipped items in the equip menu, then from time to time i could reuniform my dorfs so they could grab the best available weapons and armor less frequently

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:14:43 pm »

I usually just put no uniform.  Then manually assign every piece of armor since yes I am making a ton of it right now and did not want exactly what you said: them constantly changing out equipment.

Yes they have like socks and shoes already, but like I said they are not assigned any uniform at squad creation. I will keep messing around with it some.

p.s.
Do I need to upload the entire region folder to have anyone who wishes take a look to see what I am doing wrong?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:40:32 pm by Apostolos »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »

p.s.
Do I need to upload the entire region folder to have anyone who wishes take a look to see what I am doing wrong?
Yes.

Which is to say, if you want somebody to check it out, you'll need to upload the complete contents of the region folder.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »

hm.
if you have replace clothing set they should drop all their socks and shoes immediately.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »

you probably need to set the empty uniform for the squad with e(quip) - shift+u and shift+enter, _then_ select the equipments piece by piece. This is to make the "replace clothing" turned on for your squad.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »

Note that "replace clothing" is a per-position setting, not a per-squad setting; make sure you've actually toggled it for all the dwarves having equipment issues.

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »

Note that "replace clothing" is a per-position setting, not a per-squad setting; make sure you've actually toggled it for all the dwarves having equipment issues.

AHA!!!   Thank You.. that was it.  heh /smacks forehead

Thank you everyone who was pitching in to help. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:25 pm »

AHA!!!   Thank You.. that was it.  heh /smacks forehead

Thank you everyone who was pitching in to help.

Done that to myself 100 times. Happy fortressing!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:28:45 am »

OMG!  I never knew that.  Thanks a million for both the question asking and the question answering!