Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I woke up dead  (Read 1535 times)

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I woke up dead
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:44:56 am »

I started sleeping and got the deceased message... a pack of dingos bit my adventurer to the death...
He didnt wake up even after being bitten hundreds of times, even with maxed intuition...

Is this a bug?

What a waste... :-X

Would this happen if I was an elf? I hear they arent attacked by wild life.

Or maybe I should sleep on top of trees from now on...

Dingos and wolves cant climb trees right?!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:46:03 pm by Badargo »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: I woke up dead
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »

well considering adventurers are put in an unconscious state during rest, yeah good to learn the hard way that you are never save when you sleep.
kinda wonder if you set up a cabin when this happen or you just slept on grass.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »

DF adventurer rewards party building by making travel by yourself very hard. Sleep outside at night (even in a tree) and yes, you're going to be attacked by bogeymen or giant dingos who will most likely kill you. The solo adventurer now has a chance to build a cabin which will protect from evil night creatures. It's still faster and safer to build with companions though.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:23:52 pm »

Creatures in the DF world are notoriously sound sleepers.  I just love it when I find some poor, unsuspecting sod sleeping in the middle of the night.  I just continuously assault the victim subject, and he/she just remains in his/her unconscious state, and I can train my character's stats.  It's pretty hilarious to see, but not particularly humorous when it happens to you.

I would suggest taking a travel companion with you.  You'll never have to worry about boogeymen, and I believe you'll always wake up when you're ambushed.

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:31:33 pm »

I wasnt alone.

There was a companion with me (though he was completely useless).

They bit me thousands of times and he was unable to take a single dingo down.

They are worse then bogeyman 0.o

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:21:34 pm »

My characters mostly solo, so they travel/sleep via coast line or along mountain range as these are the safest routes. Applies whether you have bogeymen active or not as it addresses critter ambush in general.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 09:39:52 pm »

The title of the topic is an awesome bug feature.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »

oh folks can ambush you in a cabin if you build one, and how ambushing works they will spawn as in an area that has an open access you, this includes the floor your standing/resting on.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 11:27:07 pm »

oh folks can ambush you in a cabin if you build one, and how ambushing works they will spawn as in an area that has an open access you, this includes the floor your standing/resting on.
Are you sure that's in a fully built hut that's already been declared as a meadhall? Never been ambushed at night in all my building experiments above and below ground.

I have witnessed a retired hut occupant get attacked by vicious keas on his site before. He did OK. Next time I played him he'd acquired a bunch of new bone jewellery.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:27 am »

This has been a thing even in past versions; I remember once in 31.25 I woke up with my throat torn open by an arrow from a goblin bandit group that had come across me.

Still managed to kill the lot of them before bleeding out, but yeah.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:29:38 am »

Are you sure that's in a fully built hut that's already been declared as a meadhall? Never been ambushed at night in all my building experiments above and below ground.

I have witnessed a retired hut occupant get attacked by vicious keas on his site before. He did OK. Next time I played him he'd acquired a bunch of new bone jewellery.
I was ambushed in a microbunker by a demon like twice. which usually meant the ambusher was unable to exit when i jump through the fortifications.
might have to experiment on the "meadhalls prevent folks from entering the campgrounds and have to mill about on the edges" idea
"body swapping and YOU!"

oh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 12:58:21 pm »

he/she just remains in his/her unconscious state, and I can train my character's stats.

I'm pretty sure you don't gain any skills/stats when the thing you're attacking is unconscious.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:17:12 pm »

I was ambushed in a microbunker by a demon like twice. which usually meant the ambusher was unable to exit when i jump through the fortifications.
might have to experiment on the "meadhalls prevent folks from entering the campgrounds and have to mill about on the edges" idea
I'd try using vanilla and see if it happens. People using mods in which demons wander about ambushing folk have also reported being attacked by them in tavern bedrooms.

Hmm. Having said that, regular sites do get attacked from time to time by wandering beasts and goblins while you're sleeping. Just not by the 'fear the darkness' bogeymen and dingo packs as far as I can tell. I've been woken up in a nice safe worldgen meadhall before to find a giant bear tearing apart the guards in the next room.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:26:45 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 11:17:44 pm »

I'd try using vanilla and see if it happens. People using mods in which demons wander about ambushing folk have also reported being attacked by them in tavern bedrooms.

Hmm. Having said that, regular sites do get attacked from time to time by wandering beasts and goblins while you're sleeping. Just not by the 'fear the darkness' bogeymen and dingo packs as far as I can tell. I've been woken up in a nice safe worldgen meadhall before to find a giant bear tearing apart the guards in the next room.
wasn't really modded when It happen I just crack open hell in a dwarf fort prior and lead to demons running amuck normally or as normally folks could say bout roaming boss encounters. To be fair I didn't mind the insane stuff that goes down in DF.
most of the other times it was goblins or roaming animals who jump me in the microbunker. 
"body swapping and YOU!"

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 02:38:22 am »

I was tracked by a bandit who I had granted mercy to after dispatching the rest of his group.  He ambushed me in a meadhall when I was sleeping.  I managed to wake up, but as he was a crossbowman he managed to pincushion me with bolts pretty well before I could bridge the gap, sleepy as I was. 

Probably the most awesome death I've had in the game.  Always sleep near the door. And mercy is for the strong (because you may have to protect yourself in the event of a double cross).
Pages: [1] 2