Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Lone Galaxy [SG] Ep. 1 - Strain of War  (Read 7450 times)

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Galaxy [SG] Ep. 1 - Strain of War
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2016, 06:28:59 pm »

I vote for saving them.  If the planet is collapsing, we might as well try to do something to reconcile the destruction we caused.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2016, 06:42:21 pm »

I vote for saving them.  If the planet is collapsing, we might as well try to do something to reconcile the destruction we caused.
Agreed, but if we jump in to save them or attempt to modify our tear drive into a tractor beam of sorts, we will be sitting ducks and probably get sucked in as well.

Any ideas?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2016, 09:17:30 pm »

No update - just posting to state that currently there's no actionable stuff here. If you want to rescue them, you're going to need an actual action and plan to do so.
It doesn't have to be a 100% complete plan accounting for every factor, but at least something to begin with is needed. Dustan Hache's tractor beam mention doesn't count since it was mostly presented as a hypothetical.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:32 pm »

IF we can hold the drive/tear open for a few seconds, we could use the velocity of the craft to slip throw intact/partially the craft.  Dependent on what the craft and the drive can actually do.  If it's too suicidal, or no one else has a better (working) idea, then I think we just escape with our lives.
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:45 pm »

IF we can hold the drive/tear open for a few seconds, we could use the velocity of the craft to slip throw intact/partially the craft.  Dependent on what the craft and the drive can actually do.  If it's too suicidal, or no one else has a better (working) idea, then I think we just escape with our lives.
that craft is probably several times larger than our ship. I think it should be doable, but doing a tear-slingshot to get them away from the vortex might cause the drive to explode, even with the relatively short distance. Only option offered so far, so go for it.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:51 pm »

I was going to modify my post to say: or we could just attempt to take a sizable chunk with us.  We don't really care about the ship, so much as the lives aboard.

EDIT: @Chiefwaffles if we don't find a solution in another RL day or two, make a judgement call and proceed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:59:35 am by Carefulrogue »

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2017, 10:18:53 am »

Update please.  If nothing we can do will save them, then we escape, and face the consequences.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2017, 02:49:33 am »

Alright. Time to do this.

Your window of opportunity is short. But you figure that an extremely short bout inside a Tear can potentially save the frigate. Problems with this plan flash through your head. Being inside a Tear can and likely will rip apart the frigate thanks to a lack of a teardrive protecting it from gravitational forces. Yet this is only an issue if they can even get inside the Tear. Your drive can, at a greater level of strain, create a Tear in space big enough for the frigate to go through, but the frigate's orbit may be too unstable and a Tear could just deliver it right into the singularity.
There's also the problem of your Teardrive potentially exploding, but that's something you choose not to think about.

Okay. Run to the Teardrive maintenance panel. Pull the Emergency Override switch. Increase power to the Primary Gravity Modulator. Forcibly disable power surge safeties. Disable targeting safeties. Run back to the cockpit, target the front of the frigate. Manually activate Teardrive.

The entire ship lurches and groans under a sudden huge strain. The cockpit instruments suddenly lose power and lighting goes out. For a brief moment, the only thing you're aware of is a mix of hope and fear.
The power comes back and the systems quickly boot back up. You direct the sensors' scope to the location of the frigate, and nothing appears on the readout. You begin to worry until the frigate appears further away from the singularity, exiting from the Tear in an admittedly unstable fashion, but still mostly intact. Unfortunately, you'll have to worry about that later.

A large alert appears on the primary screen, indicating something gone horribly wrong with the Teardrive. A switch to a detailed diagnostics reveals that the ship's mainframe was unable to reach the Teardrive. You get back up from your seat and sprint to the Teardrive maintenance panel just recently visited. The regular indicator lights are all dark. Trying to manipulate the various switches and buttons does nothing. You stand back from the panel, resigned. You just can't find out what the malfunction is without more time. You give up in your efforts here and return to the cockpit and are once again greeted by a cacophony of alarm sounds and flashing red lights.

The next few hours are spent in a very precarious state. The gravitational singularity is in constant flux as you desperately try to keep your orbit stable. Eventually, it starts to wane and reaches a point where your ship is able to stay in a stable orbit without use of thrusters. Based on what little data you have, you'd guess that the singularity will likely dissipate over some period of time, but for all you know it may explode or suddenly disappear or get worse. This isn't covered in standard training, unfortunately.
You stare at the sensors again. The alien frigate is still within sensors range and appears to be somewhat dead in space, out in a further (stable) orbit of the singularity.

So, what do you do? You have a very quiet Leader sitting in the copilot's seat, a small issue to mention if you meet that leader of the so-called "Planetary Union" again, a mostly-powerless alien frigate in space, a nonfunctional teardrive, and possibly the precursors to psychological problems if you ever make it out of this damned system alive.

2 systems away from next Waypoint.
Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:46:16 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 12:09:29 pm »

Attempt to contact the alien ship.  If we don't get a response, attempt to navigate in closer.  If it does respond play it by ear and offer to dock.

Well, all things considered, this could have gone worse.  I think. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]