Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges in mirthful areas  (Read 1085 times)

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges in mirthful areas
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:21 am »

Hi there

I just embarked and after spotting some sun berries, I realised that one of my biomes are mirthful. A first for me. I just want to make sure: I intentionally embarked not too far from a well-established goblin civilization. The mirthful-ness of the biome will not prevent the little greenskins from showing up and bringing me some Goblinite, would it?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges in mirthful areas
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:53 am »

Not that I've heard of.

Regarding invasion possibility, the really important thing is to check that the goblins and any other groups you want contact with are "neighbours" - not literally adjacent, but a world activation thing that means they can reach your site. You can check this by pressing tab (and f1, f2, f3, etc for multiple biomes) until you can see the neighbours screen(s). If they aren't your neighbours, unless the goblins overtake a few sites or boundaries change somehow, you won't get sieges.
One wheel short of a wagon

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:40:35 am »

Goblins will travel a fair few miles (but not halfway across the world) to go get you with their little armies traveling world-square by square gradually without warning until they turn up. Usually goblins are very busy beating up settlements nearer to them so even if they declare on your civ, they might actually not be totally motivated to even turn up.

Just because it may be common that goblins spawn on evil biomes, being within one or near one doesn't make the chances of meeting goblins any higher than any other biome. Goblins have no preference or defined starting area, they will be happy to settle anywhere.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:38:13 am »

Goblins do not have a preference for any biome type: they handle evil fine, can't start in good biomes, and can't start in too high a savagery. They don't care about the biome of those they raid, though (the 100% savagery good biomes I usually have is no deterrent).
The major factors for getting goblin sieges are proximity and body counts. As mentioned, they tend to clobber nearby sites first, so being closer than anyone else should help. Currently DF doesn't know how to recruit an army from anywhere else than the site the army originates from, nor how to send new armies from other sites, so if that is a site with 50 goblins you can expect 2-3 small sieges before they run out of warm bodies, with half a century+ to rebuild populations only to send 30 raw recruits at you. I believe they tend to send sieges from the settlement closest to you, so that one should have a healthy population. You also ought to check in Legends Mode after embark to ensure the buggers didn't create a crummy outpost closer to you during the 2 week embark frenzy.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:34 am »

Though, about that - while worthwhile later, don't you see the embarking map after the 2-week frenzy, not before?

I recall a mention of dark forts having reach greater than dark pits once, but haven't tested yet - largely on account of dark pits generally being founded near a major settlement or another.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »

You're right, the two weeks pass first, and you then embark on that journey afterwards...