Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Material Weapons and Items?  (Read 671 times)

DrTank09

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Material Weapons and Items?
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:58:33 am »

So I know that in Masterwork, one must assemble items, but the end result is going to be a single material regardless of how many other materials go into it.  Has anyone figure out a way to change that?  Say I want to make a one-edged sword that has both blunt slashing attacks and edged slashing attacks.  I might forge a sword out of steel and silver to get both qualities, not to mention the hilt and guard for ornamental reasons.  Has anyone figure out if this is possible?

I had an idea earlier about how the ranged weapons systems might be able to be modified in such a way as to have melee range for the different types of attacks and that no ammo is used in the reaction?

Just seeing if anyone has an idea?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Material Weapons and Items?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:14:16 am »

There's likely a way that's ridiculously convoluted, but so far, nobody's found it. The best thing you can do is make a weapon with both blunt and slashing attacks, and use a material like steel that's good at both.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:39 am »

There's likely a way that's ridiculously convoluted, but so far, nobody's found it.

See, the thing is, there's a way for everything, and I usually know how to do it, but it's rare that I'm willing. It's ridiculously convoluted, would require me to make a DFHack thing and is not worth the effort at all. Essentially, it would require making a new material for every combination of materials that you're putting together and knowing which parts of the materials effect which parts of the item, which is kind of ridiculous: making a new material and keeping it in the save is unbelievably difficult, would require me to do file I/O every time a new combination of materials comes up, might not even work in the first place (I haven't tried it due to how horrific the process).

It's a similar process to player-created syndrome effects, which I have also considered and subsequently thrown away as too difficult if possible.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:01 pm »

I thought I had accidentally discovered a way to do this, but it turned out the itemimprovement_itemspecificst I was using was just the old HANDLE decoration for buckets and the new ROLLER decoration for scrolls.

DrTank09

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:31:57 am »

Does anyone know if improvements could have an effect?  Could a custom string of improvement tokens be created to allow for a new improvement type so that we have a base "weapon type" category that is created and then improved with token "[Material][WEAPON_COMPONENT]" that changes the stats of the weapon depending on the custom string that was made?

Maybe instead through a transform process?

Say we want to make a sword.  In order to make a sword.  We begin production by creating a grip.  Every weapon requires some form of place for interaction and this is almost always a grip or stock.

The grip has quality, and is then turned into a weapon of some class or another through the interaction of adding a blade or some such item.  Now it is a "Steel bladed sword" with all the standard stats minus the pommel strike.  It can be further improved with a lead pommel which then includes a pommel strike with lead material damage.

The problem is I don't know how to create the token but I think this method would greatly reduce the amount of data entry required for reactions and products.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:32:35 am »

Not yet as far as I know, the only reason I do the handle ones is just a matter of style atm, it's neat seeing "the handle is made of tiger hide" or whatnot, but it's technically a bucket handle.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:36:54 pm »

There's likely a way that's ridiculously convoluted, but so far, nobody's found it.

See, the thing is, there's a way for everything, and I usually know how to do it, but it's rare that I'm willing. It's ridiculously convoluted, would require me to make a DFHack thing and is not worth the effort at all. Essentially, it would require making a new material for every combination of materials that you're putting together and knowing which parts of the materials effect which parts of the item, which is kind of ridiculous: making a new material and keeping it in the save is unbelievably difficult, would require me to do file I/O every time a new combination of materials comes up, might not even work in the first place (I haven't tried it due to how horrific the process).

It's a similar process to player-created syndrome effects, which I have also considered and subsequently thrown away as too difficult if possible.

Knew either you or Quietust would have a way. But damn that sounds annoying to do.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.