Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't get melt object to work  (Read 1046 times)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't get melt object to work
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:40 pm »

Came back to DF after a fairly long break...downloaded newest version, everything seems fine. Training up my metalsmith, I want to melt all the crap he has made. Designated 100 steel short swords to be melted down, have plenty of charcoal, but game insists it "needs melt designated item".

When I look in the stocks menu, or at the object on the map, it displays as being (M)elt designated, so I don't understand the issue. Did something change?

Thanks
-Toast-_

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get melt object to work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:35 pm »

In other news, I asked them to smelt up a bunch of limonite ore. They decided that was impossible even though there is ore and charcoal everywhere, but that they were now willing to melt down all those swords. No idea what's going on but they are now doing what I want
-Toast-_

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:24:46 pm »

Possible issues:
- Pathing: Can't get to the items
- Items (f)orbidden
- Items held by dorfs who won't let go
- Items in transit (to stockpile, from stockpile to minecart)
- Items in bins (bin contents unreachable when someone else accesses that bin)
- Stockpile links to furnace restricts available items to those in linked stockpiles. No coal in linked stockpile = no fuel, for instance.
- Tools/mods messing with things?
- Burrows (including civilian alerts) causing required items/fuel to be unreachable.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:17:47 pm »

for limonite ore try smelting not melting. Remove (M)elt designations from your ore and put smelt limonite on repeat at the smelter.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »

I believe the issues lay in stockpile links. I cleared all of them, and things seem to work now (although of course my tidy storage plan is all chaos now). As far as I could tell everything was set up properly, but I guess I missed something somewhere.
-Toast-_

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 05:23:10 am »

Stockpile links can ruin one's day.

For smelters (and some other shops that require more than one thing, like a Mechanic making Traction benches, or Jeweler's shops encrusting items) it can particularly tricky and painful.

My approach these days is to make sure that the appropriate stockpiles are in close proximity to the shops that need them, but to not set up hard links. I rather "force" the input materials to be in the one place I want them to be.

I often minecart bones and coal for example. (This usually ends up as a quantum stockpile, which I would've preferred to not be the case. It would have been cool if, for example, you could create a bigger stockpile and then, when the minecart dumps, the stuff flows into the bigger stockpile rather than just the one tile. And when the stockpile is filled, the minecart "waits" to dump.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:14:20 am »

Well, you could set up a minecart with give to stockpile link and to be pushed/guided back when empty.