Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you do with all your 'named' weapons and shields?  (Read 1165 times)

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do with all your 'named' weapons and shields?
« on: January 17, 2017, 05:07:36 pm »

Hello all!

So my fort is getting old and my old soldiers are going to meet Armok from old age.  Not really dwarfy, but they are too tough to get slaughtered by goblins perish in battle.  I also have been adding all my youngin' dwarves into preteens only different squads and have them continuously train.  What has happened is that everyone, 15 to 150 year olds, have named their weapons and shields (sad for the 15 year olds who haven't even seen a goblin, except for the mayor, but she is locked up and viewings are only through iron bars).  I now have countless masterpiece and high quality shields and weapons that are starting to accumulate in my artifacts stockpile.  So far I have not been assigning these weapons to new twelve year old recruits (they really don't deserve an artifact after they just finished playing with a mini-forge) and I have not placed weapon racks and armor stands in the tombs so that they reside with their original owners (not sure if that even works if the rack/stand is placed after burial).  But, so as to keep FPS down, I also work to eliminate needless junk always.  I am seeing the accumulation of artifact weapons as becoming a problem.

Any thoughts and suggestions?  What do you do in your fort or has this ever been a problem?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with all your 'named' weapons and shields?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:49:20 pm »

I've modded in a "display cabinet" and use it to have a museum, either in the rooms of a noble who wants a bit more wealth, or in the library, or wherever dorfs might walk past. It can contain any artifactesque item, or any item at all, but I have been known to have a room full of named shields, for example.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:55:50 pm »

Display cabinets = awesome.

I think I read a while back that the Great Toady has worked on adding display cabinets for the next version.  Hope this is true as I'd love to have one with all the artifact toys in it and put it in the children's barracks.  You can look, but you can't constantly walk half away across the fortress to retrieve an artifact toy, walk to miscellaneous part of fort, play with it, return it, and repeat over and over again touch!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:40:56 pm »

Yeah we're also getting pedestals next version, so you can go truly crazy with the museums.

Anyone have any tips on the most reliable way to decapitate goblins? I want a hall of skulls.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:05 pm »

You could use a variant of this method for removing dwarf limbs.
...Also, fight the bastards with slicey weapons, because if you use a mace, it will damage whatever it hits.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:52 am »

My axelords have a tendency to always finish the job with a head cleave.  So... I'd say axes, lots of 'em.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »

Aye axelords are rather head crazy. If you want skulls get two of them, one to watch the other's back.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 11:08:26 am »

My axelords have a tendency to always finish the job with a head cleave.  So... I'd say axes, lots of 'em.

Any time I read combat logs, master axe dwarves almost always chop off something every time they hit.  They're terrifying.  Even Forgotten Beasts made of anything other than steel are afraid of them.  And when they aren't, they're soon in tiny pieces.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »

A single woodcutter was able to do what 30 dwarves were unable to do against an aluminum forgotten beast.

Axes and Warhammers are your friends.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 06:09:59 pm »

i just burry named equipment with their master, a warrior should be buried with his equipment.

however, if i ever decide to do a multi-generation fort like archcrystal i might make a museum where belongings of some of the most important dwarves in my fort get stored
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:33 am »

however, if i ever decide to do a multi-generation fort like archcrystal i might make a museum where belongings of some of the most important dwarves in my fort get stored

This is one of the reasons why I'm so looking forward to display cases as a part of official DF.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:18 pm »

It would be nice to have rules of inheritance so your dwarves' descendants would inherit important items like named weapons from generation to generation.