Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: Can't get wind farm to work  (Read 523 times)

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help: Can't get wind farm to work
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:01:49 pm »

Hi!

I have built a windmill that powers two rollers on two respective z-levels below it.
It gave 20 power. I needed 22.
So I broke down the power transmission stuff, and placed a gear assembly directly below the first windmill, and built a second windmill next to it, also on a gear assembly. I then connected the two windmills with a horizontal axle.
Yet somehow I still have only 20 power.
Anyone got an idea what could be causing this?
I found some info about syncronizing windmills using a waterwheel, but it's not clear to me how to do this or if syncronizing is even what I'm trying to do...

Thanks

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help: Can't get wind farm to work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:22:14 pm »

I assume the 20 power is the gross power, before consumption is subtracted?
It sounds like one of the windmills isn't working, or they're not connected properly.
Another alternative is that the second wind mill doesn't have clear access to the sky from its central tile, or that they're in different biomes where the second one has no wind.

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:40:19 pm »

Yep, it does seem to be the one windmill that is simply not working. Maybe a biome thing.
I'm rebuilding it elsewhere to check...

levraininjaneer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:16:36 am »

Yeah, I managed to get it working.
At the moment the only plausible explanation is the biome thing. I'll confirm it by building some more windmills around the offending spot.
Damn: that took about 2 hours to figure out!  >:(

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 08:04:16 am »

A bit of self promotion, but you may want to try the showbiomes DFHack script (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160856.0) to see exactly where the biome boundaries are.

Also, I know there's wind info in the data structures (although I don't remember exactly where), so it might be possible to check these for what the wind is/ought to be in different places.

Edit: The wind info I was thinking of seems to be for morning breezes only. Slowly returning memory indicates wind is supposed to be latitude dependent, while that seems to break down in pocket worlds. This doesn't seem quite compatible with what you experience, though.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:54:38 am by PatrikLundell »