Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The saga of Domaincuts the Revered Odor, the Legendary Walnut Wood Shield  (Read 1266 times)

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I generated a world with a 100-year history, and went looking at the artifacts to see if I could find any interesting stories. This was the second artifact on the list...

The saga of Domaincuts the Revered Odor, the Legendary Walnut Wood Shield!

Year 13: An elf named Mifava Scrapeskirt went exploring a swamp called The Swamp of Time. Mifava got into a fight with a minotaur named Ida, and slew him. To commemorate the event, Mifava named her walnut wood shield: Domaincuts the Revered Odor. Domaincuts was decorated with a well-designed image of leeks in plum wood, and a finely-designed image of a monster of twilight done in pecan wood.

Mifava went on to have all kinds of adventures, including fighting an ettin, and later becoming the queen of the elven civilization in Dalehelm. But trouble loomed...

A goblin civilization named The Problematic Scourge was rampaging. The goblins were led by a gecko devil named Snodub Mirrordreamed the Mysterious Witch.

Year 64:
The gecko devil led the goblins of The Problematic Scourge to attack the elves in Dalehelm. It was an epic battle. About 30 elves were killed by goblins. The gecko devil personally killed six elves. Dalehelm was defended by grizzly bears, and the bears killed about 12 goblins. Elves killed a few more, and a defending leopard also killed one goblin.

Queen Mifava was struck down by a goblin named Mato Hatredstrange, who took her legendary shield Domaincuts and declared it a family heirloom.

Year 65: Domaincuts the Revered Odor was recovered somehow in Dalehelm by the elven poet Cóce Mauvescalded, who declared it an heirloom of their own family. I'm not quite sure how it got from the goblin to Cóce. It looks like Mato the goblin actually died in the battle in Dalehelm in the year 64. Could the legendary shield have been sitting in the mud for a year, and randomly found by Cóce?

Year 75: Snodub the gecko devil once more leads the goblins of The Problematic Scourge to attack the elves at Dalehelm!  A goblin named Dostngosp Ticktimes defeats Cóce Mauvescalded and loots Domaincuts! And the looting goblin is promptly shredded by a grizzly bear.

Year 77: Domaincuts the Revered Odor was recovered in Dalehelm by the elf Nisa Twigknife. (And heirloomed.) Seems like Domaincuts sat in the mud for two years this time before an elf finally found it.

Who knows what kind of amazing history this wooden shield would have had if I'd chosen a longer worldgen time!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:19:01 am by Shashu »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of Domaincuts the Revered Odor, the Legendary Walnut Wood Shield
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 12:16:31 am »

What is it about elves and minotaurs now?
Maybe it's the only beast elves are capable of killing? Maybe they hunt them down on purpose? 99% of my named Elf weapons in every world I generate are named after an elf kills a minotaur (very occasional troll thrown in too).

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »

Heaven alone knows I don't know anything but can't you regen the world with exactly the same settings save for a longer history?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:10:10 pm »

Heaven alone knows I don't know anything but can't you regen the world with exactly the same settings save for a longer history?

If it's advanced worldgen, yes. If it's basic, nope.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:14 pm »

Good point, I'll run it for 1000 years and see what happens to Domaincuts the Revered Odor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:11 pm »

Good point, I'll run it for 1000 years and see what happens to Domaincuts the Revered Odor.

Did you run it from the "Create a new world!" menu or the "Design new world with advanced parameters" menu?

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 12:48:17 am »

It was created with advanced worldgen, and I was able to export the seed and the history seed.

It's been crashing some time between year 350 and 400. I've gotten to that point twice only to run into a segmentation fault.

Once I stopped it around year 260, and Domaincuts had not seen any further action.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 12:52:47 am »

It was created with advanced worldgen, and I was able to export the seed and the history seed.

It's been crashing some time between year 350 and 400. I've gotten to that point twice only to run into a segmentation fault.

Once I stopped it around year 260, and Domaincuts had not seen any further action.

Get an adventurer and steal it, then... take it for yourself?

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:22 am »

I've got a fortress going, and I'm going to send a squad after it. :)

Here's the worldgen stuff in case anyone wants to try it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:32:18 pm »

Looks like the elves wiped out The Problematic Scourge in the year 91, so Domaincuts is probably safe from worldgen threats.

But I can't seem to run worldgen past year 340 or so with those parameters. I'm on Linux - maybe someone could test it on Windows and see if they get a consistent crash between year 340 and 400?

Or is it really common to have a history that crashes when run for longer periods?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »

Are you still on version 44.01? It had a problem with crashing during longer worldgens (something to do with the double agents IIRC), which is why it was one of the first bugfixes of this latest release cycle.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »

The worldgen crashes are happening in 44.02 for Linux (64 bit), or 44.02 for Windows (32 bit) run in WINE on Linux.

Update: Bug submitted.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:00:43 am by Shashu »