Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?  (Read 9965 times)

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 10:57:45 am »

Well, I come from the Lower Pennisula.
What does that make me?

DF worlds don't have bridges or ferries across major bodies of water yet, so I'm not sure how Lower Peninsula folks fit in.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 12:31:14 pm »

We are industrial, so another dwarf civ?

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:45 pm »

Surely Kalamazoo fits into the category of mountainhome (Bell's Brewery), so I'd say aye.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 04:44:41 pm »

6.  It is obvious that the biome is a DF biome.  They have large predatory flying creatures that are capable of attacking and hurting small locals dwarven children and carrying away provisions.  They call them mosquitos (and yes, they are visible from a distance and travel in the billions).  Also plenty of less annoying animals, bears and the like.

Oh, yeah, well... Newcastle is home to the largest biting mosquito in the world, or so we are informed. It's called the Hexham Grey, and you can keep it out of your house using chicken wire. I have. It has stripes down its flank, grey and black, and a very loud buzz.

....Then there's the snakes. I met a 3 metre diamond python in the house two days before Christmas. I let it be: If it's in the house, there's less King Browns, Tigers, and Redbelly Blacksnakes in the house. I know what I want.

....Then there's the only venomous mammal in the world, found in rivers all up and down the East Coast..... The duck billed platypus.

Thisfox, is there anywhere in Australia where goblins would reside?
That way, so dwarves would not die.

I don't know.... Doesn't seem to me there would be. What do goblins require to live there? Probably would have a not fun time with the non-cave crocodiles in the Top End.... But no one else would either.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 05:45:42 pm »

Oh, yeah, well... Newcastle is home to the largest biting mosquito in the world, or so we are informed. It's called the Hexham Grey, and you can keep it out of your house using chicken wire. I have. It has stripes down its flank, grey and black, and a very loud buzz.

....Then there's the snakes. I met a 3 metre diamond python in the house two days before Christmas. I let it be: If it's in the house, there's less King Browns, Tigers, and Redbelly Blacksnakes in the house. I know what I want.

....Then there's the only venomous mammal in the world, found in rivers all up and down the East Coast..... The duck billed platypus.

Ummm... yikes.  Where I live in the Midwest USA (aka, swampy farming country), our mosquitos are like ninjas.  They strike at night, are hard to see, and leave a big welt when they are done.  I suppose I prefer not seeing my predator before it attacks.  That said, they are only one of many annoying biting insects that attack constantly from June to September.

As for snakes, I have no words.  Our 'worst' one is a bull snake... it is big enough to eat a mouse.  Our most common snakes are only big enough to eat insects.  Needless to say, I like the reptiles.  Not sure how I'd feel if they were poisonous...

Didn't know that the platypus was poisonous.  My only experience with a platypus is reading the "Little Wombat" series to my kids when they were littler.  Guessing that wasn't a truly factual representation :)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »

I used to live in Michigan.
Now I live in Arizona.

Rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, sheesh.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 06:12:15 pm »

Don't think I'd ever lift a rock in Arizona...  My uncle and aunt retired in Arizona years ago and had a lot of stories of scorpions getting into their house

Guess I'm fine with the ol' swamp 'squitors.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:56 pm »

Didn't know that the platypus was poisonous.  My only experience with a platypus is reading the "Little Wombat" series to my kids when they were littler.  Guessing that wasn't a truly factual representation :)

Platypus aren't all that dangerous, to be fair. It would only cause issue if cornered, and would prefer to run away. It's not poisonous: It used to be bush tucker (forest food) for the aboriginal peoples. It's just venomous: it has a stabbing spur and venom sac on the hind legs of the male, but not, for some reason, the female.... Got to be one of the few examples of the female of the species being less dangerous than the male.

Rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, sheesh.

Yeah, I've seen rattlesnakes in a zoo. They looked nasty. I'm told scorpions are more dangerous the smaller they are, so I guess if they're big enough to see, you're safe? Perhaps?

Guess I'm fine with the ol' swamp 'squitors.
Ummm... yikes.  Where I live in the Midwest USA (aka, swampy farming country), our mosquitos are like ninjas.  They strike at night, are hard to see, and leave a big welt when they are done.  I suppose I prefer not seeing my predator before it attacks.  That said, they are only one of many annoying biting insects that attack constantly from June to September.

Mozzies are not amused by tea tree oil, a substance you can buy as an antiseptic in most chemists and supermarkets over here. Aussies tend to slather the stuff on as a preventative and antiseptic altogether, and it tends to work. I was horrified by how tiny but nasty the U.S. biting insects were when I visited, but I found that the tea tree oil worked on them too. Pity it doesn't work on crocodiles. Perhaps you should try it for your tiny mozzies?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 10:15:55 pm »

Platypus aren't all that dangerous, to be fair. It would only cause issue if cornered, and would prefer to run away.

That separates it from most of the truly notorious fauna of Australia, which actively tries to kill you just for the sheer hell of it.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 02:42:05 am »

TBH I'm not surprised this thread derailed in record time, nor am I surprised that discussion of dangerous Aussie fauna was the culprit. . .

After taking a good look at this map I'm seriously reconsidering the Rockies as a viable fortress location. Southwestern Egypt looks pretty good, though you probably want Toady to add seasonal flooding back in [one of my most sorely missed features] before you attempt to colonize that desert. Also, there would be no trees, though there are always the caverns I suppose.

Why can't underground forests be a real thing, anyways? That would rock.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 07:45:19 am »

TBH I'm not surprised this thread derailed in record time, nor am I surprised that discussion of dangerous Aussie fauna was the culprit. . .

Salmeuk, we haven't derailed.  We have just been engaged in "Ponder Biome!" and "Discuss Biome!"  A masterful work written on a mosquito parchment quire will be the result.  Just give us a few years and a few barrels of dwarvish wine.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:27:49 pm »

Salmeuk, we haven't derailed.  We have just been engaged in "Ponder Biome!" and "Discuss Biome!"  A masterful work written on a mosquito parchment quire will be the result.  Just give us a few years and a few barrels of dwarvish wine.

Ah, so we are the scholars of Bay 12?

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 06:20:55 pm »

Urist McNilbert, Overseer                                                                                                                    Ponders Scholarship!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »

Alright, back on topic.

Arizona has some pretty high ground (and mountains!)
We also got copper and a bit of gold and silver!

However, Red Mountain is apparently Native American land, I think.
So, yeah.
Also, summer is hell.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »

Any coal?  or.... magma?

Not much to burn otherwise, although saguaro wood is a type of wood in the wood list. 

Honestly, if you got magma, Arizona would be my choice for a fort.  Very few trees and no running water = awesome FPS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6