Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?  (Read 10183 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2017, 11:53:04 am »

New Mexico, eh?

High elevation badlands next to a mountain? Sounds like prime fortress territory to me.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2017, 07:42:17 pm »

My first thought was Pennsylvania, as they have an interesting and varied climate, rivers, mountains, and plenty of historical mineral resources. 

However, after a bit of searching, I found this interesting gem:
In the decades after the Civil War, Alabama became one of the nation's leading iron and steel producers. Although Gadsden and the Florence Sheffield District along the Tennessee River contributed to this rise, the Birmingham District became the largest iron and steel producer in the southern United States. Unique geological conditions provided the district with closely associated and abundant deposits of iron ore, coal, limestone, and dolomite. These were the raw materials essential for making iron and steel, and at some locations within the district, deposits were only a few miles apart. This lucky geological arrangement resulted in the lowest raw-material assembly costs in the United States...
The close juxtaposition of their raw materials allowed iron makers in the Birmingham District to create companies that were industry models of what is known as vertical integration. Most of the Woodward Iron Company's holdings, for example, were linked by a remarkably short, 12-mile railroad. The company-owned track extended outward from its blast furnaces and coke ovens, to its limestone and dolomite quarries, to its ore mines on Red Mountain and its coal mines along the edge of the Warrior coal field.
(from Iron and Steel Production in Birmingham)

The vast deposits of iron ore, limestone and coal, all in close proximity, in the Birmingham area of Alabama have placed this area in a dominant position in the iron and steel industry in this country. In no other State are these essential raw materials found within a radius of five miles of each other. The economy of production under such conditions is obvious.
The total supply of iron ore in this district is believed to he adequate for 150 years, as compared with an estimated supply of only 35 years for the rest of the country, based on present rate of consumption.
(from a 1940 Georgia Tech article)

Given that iron ore, limestone (flux), and coal are in close proximity (closest in the US and possibly the world), along with some nice hills / small mountains and rivers, sounds like what DF players would search for in earlier versions; the Birmingham, AL, USA area seems to be ideal. 

Now, in recent versions, magma access is more or less guaranteed; so plentiful coal resources are less critical.  It might be interesting to look for areas with other mixes. 

For instance, the modern vicinity of Magdalensberg, Carinthia, Austria area was part of "Noricum", a Celtic kingdom closely allied with Rome, and later a province.  The area was known for superior sword steel for at least half a millennium, as the iron ore was high-manganese, low-phosphorous, both characteristics being critical to low-tech carburizing of iron into superior steel.  The area also has (or had) plentiful gold, salt, lavender, and lumber. 

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2017, 07:46:30 pm »

Still need coal for making steel. Alabama looks good, if I lead six other drunken midgets on an expedition.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2017, 06:47:39 pm »

Still need coal for making steel. Alabama looks good, if I lead six other drunken midgets on an expedition.

Pennsylvania is very good in the coal department, with rich anthracite and bituminous resources in the Scranton and appropriately-named Carbondale.  Pittsburgh is definitely the steel area.  I'm not sure about flux stones.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 02:07:40 pm »

On paper Sweden seems like prime Dwarf Fortress material with its ample sources of metal, forests, fresh water, as well as mountains in the west. Alcoholic population too. Unfortunately there are some limitations - that same western Sweden is almost all igneous extrusive, which means no flux. Eastern Sweden is better, but there's few coal deposits to be found. I would guess the most suitable location would be Bergslagen, which coincidentally happens to be my home turf.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2017, 05:35:40 pm »

The Appalachian mountains. Quite interesting geology, wooded, lots of small streams and rivers, coal deposits in some areas, and strata of Precambrian schist, gneiss, quartzite, granite and marble, along with gem deposits and silver and gold. And extensive natural limestone cave systems in spots.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2017, 03:54:14 pm »

(Bump)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »

(Bump. Again.)

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the US would a fortress thrive?
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2017, 05:18:43 pm »

Ozark Mountains.  Plenty of lead for barrels and mugs, caves galore, a thriving dwarf wine industry, and a history of mayhem!

I second this. I live in the area and there are caves everywhere with plenty of bat guano to mine!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:20:44 pm by MaGicBush »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »

Yes, because dwarves would like to make goods out of the bodily waste of bats.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2017, 08:07:21 pm »

Yes, because dwarves would like to make goods out of the bodily waste of bats.

They are dwarfs of course they can. But really it would be good as a fertilizer for their farms.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:38 pm »

I would love to embark in the city of Centralia.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:50:27 pm by Eschar »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2017, 12:25:54 pm »

So, an abandoned city with a still-burning coal mine fire?
Interesting.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:17 pm »

So, an abandoned city with a still-burning coal mine fire?
Interesting.

On second thought, Centralia looks like it's already been embarked on, ending with... !!results!!.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2017, 06:18:10 pm »

I'd say that's quite an embark...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6