Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?  (Read 10135 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Where on Earth would a fortress thrive?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 01:06:28 pm »

North Korea?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »

Certain places in Africa seem to torture and kill people just for the fun of it...

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »

I dunno, Africa is more elfy with their eating peoples and everything, my vote would probably be on NK as well.

Heh, we need a blog dedicated to the great Ass Monster looking at things.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 05:37:56 pm »

The goblins would prefer one of the various Hellmouths that exist in the real world. There's Youtube videos dedicated to listing all of them off.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:17 pm »

The goblins would prefer one of the various Hellmouths that exist in the real world. There's Youtube videos dedicated to listing all of them off.

I believe cross referencing the Hellmouth locations with the World Banks index of corruption will provide the ideal goblin locations.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »

Now to figure out where goblins would live.

A dark fortress ruled by a demon that nobody trades with?  Seems like there are a number of possibilities on that one.
Trump Tower?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:18 pm »

Well, looks like America's goblin land now.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »

Obviously a russian town in Scotland.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:49 pm »

Australian localities for Dwarf Fortress:

Newcastle, New South Wales would generate an amazing fort. Plenty of coal and iron in the rocks, and great fishing. Also, Sydney, but while Sydney has coal and beautiful red sandstone, it doesn't have much in the way of iron deposits. Combine the iron and coal for profit! You'd need to purify the salt water for drinking though. If you wanted iron inland, go for Broken Hill, in Western NSW. Coal and iron in abundance, and no pesky aquifer, but no fishing.

If you wanted a rich fort, then the NSW/Victoria border, where there's a lot of gold underground, if you can survive the freshwater aquifer situation. I imagine an aquifer-fed waterfall in the main feasting area, with a lot of wombat cheese roasts, and furniture made of gold and rose gold.

Tasmania would be full of elves. There are huge zinc deposits on the southern end: Start out in Hobart and you'd have elves to trade with, zinc to make furniture and items out of, and lots of shellfish. Keep clear of the tigers though.

Or you could build a fort at Kakadu, on the north coast. Aquifers of insanity, lots and lots of wood available.... and surely all that uranium would translate through as Candy, for those dorfs who are brave enough to mine it?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 09:33:51 pm »

Thisfox, is there anywhere in Australia where goblins would reside?

That way, so dwarves would not die.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 02:39:37 am »

In my opinion, southern Ural is very fine for dwarves. It is very old mountains with plenty of resourses.
The main reasons is this:
1) very big ore deposit in the east - mountain Magnitnaya (which called such cause the errors of compasses due very big value of magnetite);
2) few clear flux mountains to the west - shikhans in bashkort language - few sedimentary alone standing mountains in Bashkortostan;
3) there are some bitumious coal on plains to the west;
4) a lot of wood to the north and on mountains;
5) there are mountain YanganTau (Burning Mountain from bashkort lang) which possibly have very shallow magma, anyway, there are must be source of infinite smoke emission for thousands years;
6) hills to the south with very rich soil;
7) in fact, there is the most valuable honey production in Russia and maybe in whole world;
8 ) there are a lot of gems, especially jaspers;
9) climate is not very cold as nothern Ural: in my lifetime it was 3-4 times when temperature was below -35 degrees in Celsius grade. Most of the winter it around -10 - -25 degrees. However, summer is hot - around +38 from June to August.
10) there are a lot of rivers, which connected to Caspian sea and Volga river - historically, traders used them to move goods to the Scandinavia, Byzantium empire and Iran, so human merchants have access to the mountainhomes.

Also, this region:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry for my bad English.

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 08:36:11 am »

For the States, I think we missed the obvious.  Northeastern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  They actually may already be settled by dwarves.  Some reasons:

1.  Rich in minerals, particularly iron.  Supplied a lot of US steel production with ore.
2.  Rather hilly and wooded.  Means plenty of good embark locations and fuel for the smelters.
3.  Very important, enormous quantities of alcohol are consumed by locals.  Highest per capita in States I believe.
4.  They tend to eat foods that other Americans would consider odd and perhaps gross.  Does anyone really know what is in a pastie?  I say, nay nay.
5.  Locals tend not to work months at a time and spend that time in a bar or tavern.  Debatable if they go home to sleep ever.
6.  It is obvious that the biome is a DF biome.  They have large predatory flying creatures that are capable of attacking and hurting small locals dwarven children and carrying away provisions.  They call them mosquitos (and yes, they are visible from a distance and travel in the billions).  Also plenty of less annoying animals, bears and the like.

Now the less obvious questions, who then are the humans, elves and goblins?  That depends on who you'd ask I suppose, eh?  There are Canadians to the north, Minnesotans to the west, and Chicagoans to the south...  I have an inkling who the humans and goblins are, but find it hard to see a Canadian as an elf.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:29 am »

Now the less obvious questions, who then are the humans, elves and goblins?  That depends on who you'd ask I suppose, eh?  There are Canadians to the north, Minnesotans to the west, and Chicagoans to the south...  I have an inkling who the humans and goblins are, but find it hard to see a Canadian as an elf.

I find it hard not to see a Canadian as an elf.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 09:17:37 am »

For the States, I think we missed the obvious.  Northeastern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  They actually may already be settled by dwarves.  Some reasons:

1.  Rich in minerals, particularly iron.  Supplied a lot of US steel production with ore.
2.  Rather hilly and wooded.  Means plenty of good embark locations and fuel for the smelters.
3.  Very important, enormous quantities of alcohol are consumed by locals.  Highest per capita in States I believe.
4.  They tend to eat foods that other Americans would consider odd and perhaps gross.  Does anyone really know what is in a pastie?  I say, nay nay.
5.  Locals tend not to work months at a time and spend that time in a bar or tavern.  Debatable if they go home to sleep ever.
6.  It is obvious that the biome is a DF biome.  They have large predatory flying creatures that are capable of attacking and hurting small locals dwarven children and carrying away provisions.  They call them mosquitos (and yes, they are visible from a distance and travel in the billions).  Also plenty of less annoying animals, bears and the like.

Well, I come from the Lower Pennisula.
What does that make me?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:02 am »

Canadians are gorlaks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6