Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: U/D stairs built but tiles still show designation "X"s  (Read 719 times)

coolaliasbro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
U/D stairs built but tiles still show designation "X"s
« on: January 18, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »

I'm following PeridexisErrant's DF Walkthrough, which is generally going pretty good. However, I'm stuck at section 2.3 ("Digging Down, Down, Down!").

After designating the first set of downward stairways from the main level and watching them be built, I designated U/D stairways from level 107 (one level below main) to level 103, as directed by the walkthrough. My dwarves built the stairways (mousequery confirms this) and can use them, but the tiles where the stairways were built all look like the designation "X"s, instead of the U/D stairway tiles I see in the walkthrough.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Everything else about the stairs seems to be working as normal, except for the "X"s where I imagine I should see U/D stairway tiles.

Thanks!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: U/D stairs built but tiles still show designation "X"s
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:30:45 pm »

Dug up/down stairway tiles are Xses by default, though.
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)

coolaliasbro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:03:16 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Fleeting! That clarifies the situation for me a lot. I should have mentioned that I'm using the Phoebus tileset (it's the default for Peridexis's tutorial save that I'm using to follow along with). I just looked at the tileset PNG and realized that I'm a derp--the tile I was expecting wasn't there. Then again, some of the dwarf models (eg, butcher, king/queen) also aren't on it, so I just don't know.

Anyway, it's trivial, I was just curious. Thanks again!

coolaliasbro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:35:24 am »

I just realized the source of my confusion--I was playing the same save file on a Windows system and a Xubuntu system. Apparently the two systems have different tile sets or display them differently. Sure enough--the "X"s I was confused about when playing on Windows appeared as literal up/down stair case graphic tiles in Linux. Who'd have thought?