Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get dwarves to take stray stone to stockpile?  (Read 611 times)

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
How to get dwarves to take stray stone to stockpile?
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »

When mining, I usually get a lot of stray stone that never gets picked up. This can cause problems especially if I want to use a stockpile.

My current solution is to have them take it to a garbage dump, then claim it and have them haul it into my stockpile from there. However, this seems rather inefficient.

Is there a way to tell them to take it directly to a stockpile?

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
Re: How to get dwarves to take stray stone to stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:21:31 pm »

they should be automatically taking them into the stone stockpile. However you can specify in which relative order they should take them by creating large stockpile areas where the stones are and set those stockpiles to "give" to your stone stockpile. If you want more dwarfs hauling stone let your stone stockpile(s) have more wheelbarrows and set more dwarfs to stone hauling only.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:38 pm »

DF has a stack tendency, i.e. the last thing produced being the first thing used, mixed up with proximity and other things, so if you stop mining they'll eventually clear out the area. Otherwise they tend to remove the new stone first, so if you keep mining they probably won't catch up. Dumping the stone shifts the job from stone hauling to garbage disposal, and thus potentially set other dorfs to it (and stone hauling may actually be a lower priority job than garbage disposal).
Stockpile linking should work as well, although I don't know what priority that has compared to ordinary stone hauling, so setting all the stone stockpiles to take from links only while you're doing priority hauling ought to ensure the dorfs won't pick stones from elsewhere (don't forget to revert it afterwards, though).

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:26:13 pm »

My current solution is to have them take it to a garbage dump, then claim it and have them haul it into my stockpile from there. However, this seems rather inefficient.

Is there a way to tell them to take it directly to a stockpile?

You can place your garbage dump zone over the desired stockpile, dump the rocks, then reclaim them. They will then already be "in" the stockpile, and will only take up a single stockpile space, too.

When I want an area cleared "eventually", I'll build a workshop in the middle and set up one or more jobs on repeat. Since dwarves choose material based on proximity, the rocks around the workshop will steadily turn into blocks, crafts, furniture, mechanisms, or whatever else I think might prove useful. This does take a while, but it only ties up one or two dwarves, and it prevents hauling heavy stones all over the fortress just to turn them into much lighter goods later.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:34:39 pm »

Check your stone stockpile and make sure it is set to allow 3 wheelbarrows and that you have 3 free wheelbarrows. Wheelbarrows will move stone 5 or 10 times faster than a dwarf and 3 is usually enough to support a legendary mason.

Usually I end up with one small stockpile with three wheelbarrows near the mason/mechanic/crafter shops. It is set to accept from links only and to 't'ake from two or three larger stockpiles, usually about 10 z down. Those larger stockpiles each have 3 wheelbarrows. So, when all three shops are going fulltime, the little stockpile is only sending wheelbarrows down to the larger stockpiles. It also triggers a steady stream of 3 hauling jobs per stockpile instead of using all your dwarfs at once, because a stockpile with wheelbarrows will limit the jobs it creates to the number of wheelbarrows 'owned' by it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:47:10 pm »

I generally only mine out one section at a time, to avoid such clutter, then when that's all hauled I go to the next. My miners only mine and haul stone, so that speeds it up I guess.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.