Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question  (Read 522 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
A question
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:37 pm »

Can troglodytes use the large, human-sized weapons? I'm working on a Troglodyte based entity mod (With a modified Troglodyte as the creature and some other modded creatures for common domestics for them, but I don't know if they can use weapons like mauls or not.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:54:19 pm »

Aye, almost everyone can use weapons so long as they can grasp.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:00:51 am »

Not if they're too big for the species to use properly.

Cursory RAW inspection reveals the following:

1: Troglodytes reach a BODY_SIZE of 60000[Exactly dwarf sized] after twelve years. For reference, humans have an adult size of 70000

2: Mauls, Pikes, Halberds, Two-Handed Swords and Great Axes all have a MINIMUM_SIZE of 62500 and are two-handed until you reach a size of 77500.

This means that vanilla Troglodytes can't use those large weapons. It would however be fairly trivial to up the adult size of Troglodytes by 2500-3000 units, which would let at least the brawnier ones use big weapons. You could also move the MINIMUM_SIZE down the same amount for the weapons you want them to be able to use, but note that that would also allow dwarves/elves to use them, for better or for worse.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:08:45 am »

1: Troglodytes reach a BODY_SIZE of 60000[Exactly dwarf sized] after twelve years. For reference, humans have an adult size of 70000

2: Mauls, Pikes, Halberds, Two-Handed Swords and Great Axes all have a MINIMUM_SIZE of 62500 and are two-handed until you reach a size of 77500.

This means that vanilla Troglodytes can't use those large weapons. It would however be fairly trivial to up the adult size of Troglodytes by 2500-3000 units, which would let at least the brawnier ones use big weapons. You could also move the MINIMUM_SIZE down the same amount for the weapons you want them to be able to use, but note that that would also allow dwarves/elves to use them, for better or for worse.

Ah, I misunderstood his question, thought he meant if they were simply able to use weapons and such.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:36:10 am »

Thank you! I'm trying to make an somewhat balanced alternate civilization with modified Troglodytes! They won't have any great combat alloys, but they will have more natural strengths (Including spitting molten serpentine) I suppose I'll up their size a bit.

(Yes, they will be able to use cotton candy. If they couldnt, then wheres the incentive for them to have FUN?)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:38:49 am by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.