Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discussing Goblin Culture.  (Read 3748 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Discussing Goblin Culture.
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:02 pm »

Yes.
We are to discuss goblin culture in detail.
Don't ask.
I'll let you all start.

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
Re: Discussing Goblin Culture.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:12 am »

This ThreeToe story gives a pretty in-depth look into goblin culture.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:43:24 am »

What exactly do you want to discuss? As just mentioned, goblin culture is as it is laid out in numerous threetoe stories. They murder each other, respect power, shear trolls, snatch babies, live forever, don't eat, don't drink and yet are 'normal' enough to mate with other races on occasion.

I guess what's not covered is how goblins in other civilizations act. Do they hide out in gobbo ghettos for centuries until they're socially respectable enough to take over a town as mayor? Do they lose their innate goblin 'culture'?

In fact, is there really any such thing as 'goblin culture'? Surely it's just 'demon culture' as all the non-goblins in the civ seem to act the same way. What fundamentally does being a goblin really mean? If anything.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:47 am »

They appear to respect dwarves.  In what appears to be a religious ritual, they show up with offerings of metal on a nearly yearly basis.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:03:37 am »

Some things I wonder.
What do you think would happen if goblins were not taken over by goblins demons?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:52:50 pm by Asin »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:48:40 pm »

If you meant by demons, then the biggest gameplay change is starting with a dark pit instead of a dark fortress, thus not getting the guaranteed starting big site - and possibly never getting one, if they're crowded out by other big sites.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:46 pm »

If you meant by demons, then the biggest gameplay change is starting with a dark pit instead of a dark fortress, thus not getting the guaranteed starting big site - and possibly never getting one, if they're crowded out by other big sites.

I always read this as "dank pit" which would suggest an entirely different sort of goblin culture.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:22:25 pm »

I always read this as "dank pit" which would suggest an entirely different sort of goblin culture.

Goblins- The first race to make memes.
(I had to.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 11:36:51 am »

Goblins have low expectations (in goblin sites they live in cracks in the earth with no furniture) and thrive on violence. I know from my own experiences you can't turtle with goblins because especially if alcohol is involved, they will start spontaneous loyalty cascades or end up brutalizing each other eventually.
  • They are relieved with a positive mood thoughts from arguing (just as well for a abrasive set of values), though it is often at that point they choose their friends & enemies and the next time they fly into a rage randomly, they will seek to kill anybody they don't hold to be a friend to themselves as a target of their anger which makes grudges & loyalty cascades easy to spot.

Goblins also have poor work ethics, 9/10 terrible statistics with most citizens being worthless fodder and persist any form of skillmanship usually by learning it off apprenticeships of other races & building experience of a role over many many years without hopefully getting murdered overnight by their fellow goblin.
  • Because goblins march to war so often, most citizens have some form of military experience or injury such a lost eye or limb as well as the military skills they require.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 11:40:09 am »

What a sad and pathetic life they live.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:23 am »

Goblins are disenfranchised 1%-ers.

Seriously.

1) Rely on other races that they have subjugated to supply them with EVERYTHING.
2) Consider lying, cheating, conspiracy, and backstabbing to be high arts.
3) Strongly covet what others have worked very long and hard to achieve, without having to invest the effort themselves.
4) Live dank, squalid lives-- until they can steal a thriving settlement's wealth, and enslave its population.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:58:52 am »

Goblins are disenfranchised 1%-ers.

Seriously.

1) Rely on other races that they have subjugated to supply them with EVERYTHING.
2) Consider lying, cheating, conspiracy, and backstabbing to be high arts.
3) Strongly covet what others have worked very long and hard to achieve, without having to invest the effort themselves.
4) Live dank, squalid lives-- until they can steal a thriving settlement's wealth, and enslave its population.

This is why they're considered evil, right?  They're just bad, mean, dumb.  Most of the other sapient races aren't specifically aligned, but goblins are considered outright evil.  Their civilizations are even almost always taken over by Hell during worldgen, if I'm understanding correctly, or sometimes just outright murdered.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 11:12:30 am »

Goblins are disenfranchised 1%-ers. ~snip

This is why they're considered evil, right?  They're just bad, mean, dumb.  Most of the other sapient races aren't specifically aligned, but goblins are considered outright evil.  Their civilizations are even almost always taken over by Hell during worldgen, if I'm understanding correctly, or sometimes just outright murdered.

Well culturally they are pretty abhorrent, (remove the goblins and still warmongering babystealing murderers) and personally the goblin psyche is flawed to lash out with rage. You could say the same about the rest of the races being very zealous about their cultural beliefs to actually declare war on each other and occasionally their own race (for example, humans often fight skirmishes against each other)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 11:19:28 am »

Well culturally they are pretty abhorrent, (remove the goblins and still warmongering babystealing murderers) and personally the goblin psyche is flawed to lash out with rage. You could say the same about the rest of the races being very zealous about their cultural beliefs to actually declare war on each other and occasionally their own race (for example, humans often fight skirmishes against each other)

I have to admit, though, I like goblins more than elves, evil or not.  They bring metal and a good fight.  Two things dwarves love.

Sollision

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 01:35:59 pm »

I have to admit, though, I like goblins more than elves, evil or not.  They bring metal and a good fight.  Two things dwarves love.

Well, EVERYTHING's better than elves.
yikes
Pages: [1] 2