Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What modifcations do you consider as standard for a fresh installation?  (Read 874 times)

Marcus Aurelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I casually played Dwarf Fortress a few years ago, though was never active in the community and didn't really investigate much into the game outside of the standard Wiki articles and vanilla game play.

However, I have recently decided to return as I dropped things like World of Warcraft (as it became asinine and mundane, more of a chore than hobby). In my return to Dwarf Fortress and with a lighter workload, I have decided to investigate a little more not only into the community, but into the game play and embellishment of it (hence finally making a forum account).

So, I come to my question, what modifications do you consider as standard for a fresh installation?

Modifications that improve upon the graphics, magic and other aspects without drastically changing the ambience or theme of it.

Thank you for your time.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What modifcations do you consider as standard for a fresh installation?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:34:19 am »

I give all civ species 3 n discipline. making everyone have some backbone.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Marcus Aurelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:16:11 am »

I give all civ species 3 n discipline. making everyone have some backbone.

Thank you, that's a good idea.

Is Masterwork good? My only thoughts against it, at the moment at least, is the fact that it seems to be a little unstable recently, with quite a few complainants.

Larzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:44 am »

Is Masterwork good? My only thoughts against it, at the moment at least, is the fact that it seems to be a little unstable recently, with quite a few complainants.

some people cant get past world generation/embark.

some people (me) get 2 crashes per 80? hours of gameplay.

Marcus Aurelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 05:23:41 am »

some people cant get past world generation/embark.

some people (me) get 2 crashes per 80? hours of gameplay.

How stable is it on Linux OSes; Especially Fedora, or Arch, as I may be moving to the latter?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 07:04:25 am »

Id recommend laying off the modifications initially because most mods just infer that you know what you're doing while you re-learn the game then add mods

For instance if you like the meat industry/making things & taming captured animals, DDD (deeper dwarven domestication) might be right for you, though most mods you can just set up yourself with a little effort & planning using the RAW tokens found here on the DF wiki

There are also lots of useful utilities, which (along with more mods) can be found on this thread in a list

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:27:44 am »

For something that improves graphics, I'd get Text Will Be Text - It lets in-game text use a different front the the rest of the game, so you don't have things like > and ó get replaced my stairs and levels in text and menus.
If the tileset supports it, it can also give different graphics for individual items, instead of just groups of items.  I know Meph's Tileset, Rally Ho!, and Gemset have graphics for these.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 04:26:37 am »

I for one would suggest some form of weapon mod; multiple if youre feeling brave enough to delve into the raws, Stal's Armory and LC's Terrible Weapons give you a nice mixed variety in weapons while still staying true to dorf fort's normal aesthetic. Going out farther, you could always look for a dinosaur mod. it's extra !!fun!! having your enemies use dinosaurs to attack you.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.