Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm plot not taking seeds question  (Read 1290 times)

Apostolos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm plot not taking seeds question
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:33 pm »

I went through the trouble to make 'outdoor' farm plots in a room with the whole open up the ceiling and then floor it over afterwards routine.  I then made just two 2 x 4 plots in the room.  On the first one I had the option to plant about 6 or so items I had gathered from outside.  However, on the second plot it was blank saying I had nothing to plant even though it was right beside the first one.  I have to take off, so thought I would just quickly ask for any advice I should look at the next time I get to fire it up to see why I cannot plant my taters or whip vine or hemp etc., on that second plot.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm plot not taking seeds question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 08:02:06 pm »

Do you have multiple biomes on the map?

Assuming both plots are actually aboveground and valid plots, etc, you might be on the boundary of a biome where the plants can or can't grow. (Dry/wet or land/ocean biomes are ones I run into frequently.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:22:48 pm »

Sounds like either the biome issue mentioned above, or if your seeds are in a bin, it's possible the bin is in use, and the seeds aren't currently available for planting. Make sure your seed pile is bin-free, and let the dwarves spread out the seeds so you can see what they have, then try.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:23:07 pm »

Check each square of the problem plot for "Inside Dark Subterranean". If there is a tree overhanging your plot, the tree trunk that extends out from the central trunk may be overhanging your plot and that will stop the light as well. I've the same sort of "pit with a ceiling" that you do and have cavemoss growing next to outdoor plants because of the overhanging trees. The thing I am considering is that you may need to rebuild the plot or cut down a tree, because if the plot was built while 100% "Inside Dark Subterranean" then it may act funny after being partially exposed to light (and reject both seed types). But mountainous biome is another possibility and you may need to rebuild it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:37:25 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:00:05 am »

Any part of a tree (including twigs) will block a reveled tile underneath to become surface until the tree is removed (and I believe it doesn't matter if you've already floored over the area when the tree is cut down).
Also, as mentioned, farm plots with tiles in multiple biomes (such as underground/surface) tend to have problems with planting.
Even if seeds are unavailable, a farm plot displays what can be planted (and allows you to select it) with the exception of a period during the end of winter, where you can't select winter crops (which is basically a bug).

Check the surface/underground properties of each tile of the problematic farm plot. If all of them indicate it should be a surface plot it's probably a case of surface biome straddling. You can check that with the DFHack tool probe or the showbiomes script I've made, or just rip up the farm plot and replace it with single tile plots to check what each of them accepts for planting.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:43:49 am »

Any part of a tree (including twigs) will block a reveled tile underneath to become surface until the tree is removed

Nope. Twigs and branches block neither the "Light" ray nor the "Outside" ray, while tree trunks block both.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Tile_attributes

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 01:48:55 pm »

Any part of a tree (including twigs) will block a reveled tile underneath to become surface until the tree is removed

Nope. Twigs and branches block neither the "Light" ray nor the "Outside" ray, while tree trunks block both.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Tile_attributes
That's what I thought, until I made some single tile farm plots under twigs (and recessed into the soil, so there was channeling under the tree involved, with a roof added afterwards). I could only plant subterranean crops until the tree was removed, at which time the farm plots magically became outdoor ones, even though the roof had been there from the start. The surrounding farm plots [E, W, N] were surface ones, as expected.
However, it's worth investigating anew and properly. Another weird thing that has happened twice when digging out some root tiles under a tree (without breaching the surface) was that saplings of the same kind as the tree above appeared where the roots had been, but the tiles remained dark and indoors. When the saplings died they were replaced by fungal growth.

Edit:
I've taken a new look at it, and Loci was correct, of course. I channeled out tiles under some trees (excepting the tile the trees stood on, of course), and the tiles that had twigs and thick branches above them were Outside, Light, Above Ground, while those that had trunks above (i.e. trunks offset from the trunk rooting the tree to the ground, above ground level) were Inside, Dark, Subterranean. The ground level under such trunks were Inside, Light, Above Ground. I don't have any trees with offset trunks at two levels above ground, but I don't expect that case to be different.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:59:34 am by PatrikLundell »