Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generic animal materials  (Read 415 times)

Rain At Dawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generic animal materials
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:41:01 pm »

I've been modding the raws for my own purposes, using elements of other people's mods where they suit my needs.

One thing I've done is take Accelerated's idea of an abstract animal to produce generic animal products. Using CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL in tissue_template_default.txt instead of LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT works a treat for producing generic tissues (offal; I keep specific leather and meat types - personal taste, but note I do also massively cut down on the number of creature types). Using the same trick in the creature_*.txt files enables me to get generic blood and sinew.

But try as I might, I just can't figure out how to do the same thing for other materials. In particular I'd really like to get generic bones, horn, ivory etc, mostly in order to bring a modicum of sanity to dwarf material preferences (really, Urist, orca tooth? how can you even tell?).

I've looked at Masterwork, which explicitly claims to produce generic bones, but beyond noting as a good idea a separate abstract animal for bones in order to produce a different adjective, I'm still none the wiser.

Can anybody help me out here?