Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What games/shows/whatever do you wanna see DF mods for?  (Read 10442 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: What games/shows/whatever do you wanna see DF mods for?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 10:38:27 pm »

Maybe the webcomic needs to happen first...
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:03 am »

Super Smash Bros. Mod!
Every franchise with a playable character gets a civ. every civ creature has at least one caste for each playable character. Start the game, and then all the franchises will war against each other.
It would have various creatures from the games as well. You might report that your best fighting Ganandorf died fighting a enemy Mewtwo.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 02:41:12 pm »

Super Smash Bros. Mod!
Every franchise with a playable character gets a civ. every civ creature has at least one caste for each playable character. Start the game, and then all the franchises will war against each other.
It would have various creatures from the games as well. You might report that your best fighting Ganandorf died fighting a enemy Mewtwo.

A while back in 0.34 I activated RotMK, Earthward Pick, Pik-Pik Fortress, and a Pokémon mod whose name I forget simultaneously as a vague attempt at genning a Smash world.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »

I'm gonna second Adventure Time here... Candy Kingdom! Fire Kingdom! Many princesses! It would be a ton of work with so many critters to create, although I think randomizer scripts would help make it all wacky enough.

Also, Steven Universe. Forget Earth, let's play Homeworld colonizing a planet. Castes of gems suited for specific jobs, Diamond rulers, extracting all the minerals you can... Reproduction would be... odd, though. Maybe if you made them egg-layers and pretended nestboxes are those incubation holes  :P
We probably don't know enough about it to make a playable mod though.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 06:53:52 pm »

I just watched Steven Universe. I kept thinking that Gems would be one of the hardest things to adapt to Dwarf Fortress. You'd definitely need DFhack.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:28:25 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 07:04:16 pm »

I just watched Steven Universe. I kept thinking that gems would be one of the hardest things to adapt to Dwarf Fortress. You'd definitely need DFhack.
Probably. What for, though? Their poofing/shattering, probably- but maybe it could be done with syndrome transformations. Sustain enough damage, some secretion transforms them into the gem form, from which they regenerate after a while... Somehow. I think it'd be possible. You'd have to put all the [THOUGHTCENTER][VITAL] etc tags on the gem body part, too...
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:24 pm »

I would KINDA support an SU mod. (hardcore right winger lately, so the leftist agenda kinda bugs me - but somehow it manages to suck me in sometimes.) I would like to suggest that  you could have two versions: a Crystal Gems mode, which has you getting little to no migrants, but less raids as well. But more megabeasts, the Gem Monsters. (Did I mention that, despite disliking the message, i've seen every damn episode) And of course, colonization mod w. more migrants, more raids - but less monsters. Because corruption is kinda an earth thing.

Adventure Time? DOIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That show is mathematical, man. Another one that i've seen all of - and far superior to me.

Also, Regular Show mod. WE NEED THIS! Secrets could include The Power, Technomancy, immortality by one of the Guardians similar to Skips, and so forth, Wrestling is replaced by Death Kwan Do. I love THAT show hardcore.

Regular show spoiler below!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 10:38:15 pm »

A Cartoon Network mod?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 11:52:47 pm »

Can we throw in adult swim too? Holdin out for Rick and Morty. Still. Make it happen!!!
GENERATION 28:

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:47 am »

I'm guessing a Wheel of Fortune is out of the question?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 12:49:02 am »

Probably. What for, though? Their poofing/shattering, probably- but maybe it could be done with syndrome transformations. Sustain enough damage, some secretion transforms them into the gem form, from which they regenerate after a while... Somehow. I think it'd be possible. You'd have to put all the [THOUGHTCENTER][VITAL] etc tags on the gem body part, too...

I guess it seems like the Gems have a laundry list of powers and traits that Dwarf Fortress either does poorly or doesn't handle. Here's a list of difficulties I can think of now.

1.They're all female, which would cripple their population, unless you deviated from canon to make male Gems or some other means of letting them breed.

2.I have no idea how Fusion would work, and also unfusing.

3.They can summon weapons from nowhere. You could do this with reactions, but you don't want non-Gem adventurers doing it as well. You'd also want to limit the type of weapon summoned to the appropriate Gem type. I know the Dragonball mod does something like this, and it heavily relies on DFhack. I don't know much about how DFhack works.

4.They can shapeshift into a variety of forms, or change individual parts of their bodies. This also doesn't heal them, which makes it harder to replicate properly. You also don't want the player spammed with "Urist McGem has transformed!" messages.

5.Like you said, the poofing/regenerating/bubbling system. Really, just how they take damage in general. Gems seem to take an enormous amount of punishment before ultimately being brought down in one shot. They also lack vital organs. Dwarf Fortress kills typically revolve around ripping people apart until they die of either blood loss, respiratory shutdown, extreme pain followed by an easy killshot, or attacking the head. Gems would ignore most of these.

6.Their bodies are weird. You'd need to do a lot with the "Holograms with mass" tissues so they don't die easily, but also aren't overpowered. If you wanted to replicate the random placement of gemstones on their body, you'd have to make a ton of nearly identical castes and gem bodyparts. That's doable, but difficult and time consuming.

7.The monsters would be easier, but still run into many of the same issues.

8.Lapis and Peridot's powers involve manipulating available materials in the environment, which I don't think is really possible. Peridot's limb enhancers could probably work as an item syndrome from DFhack I think.

9.If their clothes are part of their bodies, you'd need to deal with the Gems being upset about being "naked" unless you gave them no emotions, made them all immodest, or gave them something to wear on their lower bodies.

10.Dwarf Fortress combat relies heavily on dismemberment, and I don't think you could cut limbs off a Gem without poofing them. Maybe if you carefully reworked all of their tissues and body parts to be immune to severing?

11.The real Peridot wouldn't be in it and that's terrible.

Adventure Time seems like a much better choice, given that it's characters tend to have much more easily replicated abilities. I don't know how you'd make Jake.

I'm guessing a Wheel of Fortune is out of the question?

Actually, I think that might be doable. I think Indigo's Mushroom Kingdom mod has a slot machine that could be used as a base.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:09:51 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:35 am »

1.They're all female, which would cripple their population, unless you deviated from canon to make male Gems or some other means of letting them breed.

Entity pops ignore breeding now, so a monogender race is fine.  In game, everyone would be born of unknown parents.  You also wouldn't get children settling at your fortresses.  So, you know.  Only 10 major difficulties, instead of 11.

Incidentally:

A Zelda mod would be great.

Many attacks can be mimicked by interactions e.g, a redead's screech, a lot of enemies can be recreated, and some enemies could be used as aggressive factions (lizalfos, bulbin, bokoblin, etc.).

It's worth a shot!

I've actually mostly completed the update of (my branch of) the zelda mod to the current version (In fact, I'm playing it right now :P ;)). World gen is crashy for reasons I can't isolate, however.  In 0.43.05 it crashes after ~100 years.  Also the AI change borked the syndrome-based magic system. ...Which I might have fixed last night.  I should play another fortress.  ...Weapon traps are also crashy.

Putnam's Earthward Pick was a different branch of the mod, though :(.

The Zelda mod update is on the Mod Releases forum now, in case anyone both cares and didn't notice ;).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:57:35 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:08 am »

[snip]

Goodness, yeah. Many of those abilities would have to just be omitted, really. I think we could live without shapeshifting, or stuff like water or metal powers. It could also be circumvented by giving the caste a very fast skill learning rate for stuff like mining (a Lapis terraforms), pump operating or smithing and metalcrafting, perhaps. But that's just one difficulty. The end result wouldn't look very much like actual SU, methinks.

Maybe one day it'll be possible.

As for Jake's powers, he's pretty much singular. I know his stretching is pretty iconic to the show, but to have a race of stretching dogs would stand against canon.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:51 am »

Entity pops ignore breeding now, so a monogender race is fine.  In game, everyone would be born of unknown parents.  You also wouldn't get children settling at your fortresses.  So, you know.  Only 10 major difficulties, instead of 11.

Really? I didn't know that. That would be helpful for something I was working on. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:31:28 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 01:58:03 pm »

As dude said, it won't effect entity pops - and you can make them immortal, which fits with the show.

2.I have no idea how Fusion would work, and also unfusing.

Fusion between two gems could be difficult - all i can suggest is maybe a shapeshifting spell that you can ONLY use on others. You cannot use it on yourself. Its not quite the same, but its something.

3.They can summon weapons from nowhere. You could do this with reactions, but you don't want non-Gem adventurers doing it as well. You'd also want to limit the type of weapon summoned to the appropriate Gem type. I know the Dragonball mod does something like this, and it heavily relies on DFhack. I don't know much about how DFhack works.

Create a reaction, and make whichever Gem Weapon they summon require a specific material, which that caste of gem will have a natural ability to conjure up - meaning that only a Ruby could make a Ruby Dagger, for example.

4.They can shapeshift into a variety of forms, or change individual parts of their bodies. This also doesn't heal them, which makes it harder to replicate properly. You also don't want the player spammed with "Urist McGem has transformed!" messages.

Well, this is another case of make do with what ya got. But really, shapeshifting is much easier - quit complainin!

5.Like you said, the poofing/regenerating/bubbling system. Really, just how they take damage in general. Gems seem to take an enormous amount of punishment before ultimately being brought down in one shot. They also lack vital organs. Dwarf Fortress kills typically revolve around ripping people apart until they die of either blood loss, respiratory shutdown, extreme pain followed by an easy killshot, or attacking the head. Gems would ignore most of these.

Make them constructs, like Bronze Collosus, but with a single organ, the Gem. Make it so they can be knocked unconscious(this will represent poofing), and by attacking the area where the Gem organ is located(for now, we make it so all gems are in the chest), you can shatter them, killing the creature.

6.Their bodies are weird. You'd need to do a lot with the "Holograms with mass" tissues so they don't die easily, but also aren't overpowered. If you wanted to replicate the random placement of gemstones on their body, you'd have to make a ton of nearly identical castes and gem bodyparts. That's doable, but difficult and time consuming.

See above note.

7.The monsters would be easier, but still run into many of the same issues.

Once again, above note applies.

8.Lapis and Peridot's powers involve manipulating available materials in the environment, which I don't think is really possible. Peridot's limb enhancers could probably work as an item syndrome from DFhack I think.

Well, Peridots metalkinesis is kind of unique - that is, without being deprived of enhancers, and without actively TRYING to obtain said powers, she would never have had them. So we can kinda ignore that. Lapis - well, she has flight, thats easy enough, make her breate under water, and give her a Material Emmision power for water that shoots it at a high velocity.

9.If their clothes are part of their bodies, you'd need to deal with the Gems being upset about being "naked" unless you gave them no emotions, made them all immodest, or gave them something to wear on their lower bodies.

Meh. Give em a loincloth, no biggie.

10.Dwarf Fortress combat relies heavily on dismemberment, and I don't think you could cut limbs off a Gem without poofing them. Maybe if you carefully reworked all of their tissues and body parts to be immune to severing?

Once again, very durable, but can be knocked out with enough strikes. Limb loss should rarely come up it they're as durable as they need to  be.

11.The real Peridot wouldn't be in it and that's terrible

She kinda annoys me. So im not bothered. Anyhow, you can always start the game as a Peridot, and roleplay THE Peridot, so it works.

All problems can be solved if you arent obsessed with 100% accuracy, and settle for 90%.

But seriously, Regular Show mod. Am i the only one here who thinks it should happen?
GENERATION 28:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5