Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shipping Woes  (Read 1014 times)

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shipping Woes
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:56:34 am »

So, living in the USA, we do not have VAT tax, which is basically a sales tax prevalent across the EU. When shipping to countries that do not have VAT, EU retailers are not required to charge the VAT fee. Unfortunately the retailer I am looking at does not ship to the US. So, I'm looking for a way to ship from this retailer to a country that they do ship to that doesn't have the VAT tax, and then have it shipped to me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My google fu is not strong this day, and I am wondering if any of you wonderful folks have any experience setting up pickups and deliveries over multiple courier services, or if that's even possible in anyone's experience without having a willing third party that you trust.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:35:36 am »

So, living in the USA, we do not have VAT tax, which is basically a sales tax prevalent across the EU. When shipping to countries that do not have VAT, EU retailers are not required to charge the VAT fee.
I think that only applies to companies shipping to companies. When shipping to an end user, I do believe EU companies will have to charge you the VAT (or it will be their loss).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »

Don't almost all Americans have state sales taxes? Also some counties and cities add additional sales taxes. In a nation with VAT, you'll usually find that the idea that a city could interfere with commerce by adding its own taxes is an abhorrent idea.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:41:52 pm by Reelya »

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:55 am »

Nah, I'm in one of the two states without sales tax, it's doubly great, because I don't even pay the sales tax from online retailers in the USA. I don't think the VAT is a negative personally. But if I'm not required to pay it, I'd definitely prefer not to.

And as a consumer you don't have to pay vat tax if you're not in the EU. Some businesses will zero rate you if they're a physical reseller and you can prove you're not an EU citizen if you just walk in. And for instance, if I shipped to one of the English Channel Islands, no VAT charged as they didn't join the EU (which I did verify through their site).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:38:38 pm »

I don't have advice but I wish you luck.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.