Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Everything you encounter in the game comes from somewhere...  (Read 2832 times)

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everything you encounter in the game comes from somewhere...
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:05 pm »

Bullshit...

I'm searching a goblin stronghold for a leopard which is apparently in there somewhere...

I've spent the last hour slaughtering wave after wave of beakdogs and trolls...

These things shouldn't exist, I've checked they don't exist, this is absurd...

Every time I wipe out an enemy two more have sprung forth from the ether to block my path...

Anyone know what the deal is?
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everything you encounter in the game comes from somewhere...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:22:58 pm »

What's the population of the Fortress? Sites cap at 10000 by default, so if you're in a big site, you could have quite a way to go yet. Obviously all 10000 don't spawn at once.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:24:32 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 06:28:38 pm »

What's the population of the Fortress? Sites cap at 10000 by default, so if you're in a big site, you could have quite a way to go yet. Obviously all 10000 don't spawn at sonce.

I used advanced world creation to make the world I am currently playing in, and I am murderously certain that I set the population cap to 600...

I also checked the Legends mode, there absolutely should not be this many trolls in the proverbial dungeon...
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »

Trolls count as animals unless you "fixed" that problem.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:41 am »

Do animals ignore site population counts and constantly respawn forever?

Oh, and sadly population cap is just 'historical figure' population cap.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:32:34 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:11:54 am »

Do animals ignore site population counts and constantly respawn forever?

Oh, and sadly population cap is just 'historical figure' population cap.
which is there to make sure legends mode doesnt get flooded with over 40000 peasants and their families and explode folks cpus which often one of the reasons most peasants dont have families.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 05:57:56 pm »

I had this happen to me too, basically legends mode told me there was around 50 trolls and a few ogres and a dozen beak dogs in this dark fortress but at the end I plowed through hallways and hallways of trolls and ogress and they respawned after I left the area, but this time as active armies (troll spearmen, ogre bowman ect) in which had absurd sizes for their copper/iron armour and such. I killed those lackeys so many times that their fields outside the fort literally is littered with bodies of trolls, ogres and beakdogs with their weapons/armour. it feels so artificial and I only ever encountered a few goblins in those ambushing armies.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:57 am »

... it feels so artificial and I only ever encountered a few goblins in those ambushing armies.

Yeah...

It's kind of depressing...

Do any of guys know why Toady made it this way, instead of having all entities live, reproduce, and die, in a more organic, consistent fashion?

On a related note, I've been noticing that similar things happen with the encounters surrounding outlaw camps too...

I stumble upon a hidden camp, and suddenly a couple of encounter tokens appear nearby on the map, I approach them and get pulled into a fight with some bandits...

I slaughter every bandit before me and then I [T] out, noticing that the encounter token I engaged has disappeared...

I approach the second encounter, kill everyone there, [T] out, and suddenly both encounter tokens have respawned back at the points on the map where they originally spawned in...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:02:40 am »

... it feels so artificial and I only ever encountered a few goblins in those ambushing armies.

Yeah...

It's kind of depressing...

Do any of guys know why Toady made it this way, instead of having all entities live, reproduce, and die, in a more organic, consistent fashion?

They do. It's just animals that bugged (trolls and beak dogs are animals).
And it's not "made" it's "is making" as in not finished, as in, if it seems a bit off right now (ever regenerating animals) it's not going to be that way forever.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 10:26:18 am »

And it's not "made" it's "is making" as in not finished, as in, if it seems a bit off right now (ever regenerating animals) it's not going to be that way forever.

I am keenly aware that DF is a work in progress...

So, Toady is planning on implementing that more fully...

That's good to know...

Has he given us any idea of when he will be getting to it?

I recall that he has a schedule for DF updates, which detail what general concept (Magic and Artifacts, Law and Order, and so forth) the update will be focused on integrating into the game, but I can't seem to be able to find it...

In the meanwhile, is there something I can do to the game files to fix this myself?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:57:38 am »

I like to remove [SLOW_LEARNER] from trolls so gobs don't have twenty billion sitting in their basements, though they won't bring them on sieges if you do this.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:49:56 am »

I like to remove [SLOW_LEARNER] from trolls so gobs don't have twenty billion sitting in their basements, though they won't bring them on sieges if you do this.

Will that stop them from respawning?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 04:14:57 pm »

I am keenly aware that DF is a work in progress...

So, Toady is planning on implementing that more fully...

That's good to know...

Has he given us any idea of when he will be getting to it?

I recall that he has a schedule for DF updates, which detail what general concept (Magic and Artifacts, Law and Order, and so forth) the update will be focused on integrating into the game, but I can't seem to be able to find it...

In the meanwhile, is there something I can do to the game files to fix this myself?
1. Sometime within the next 25 years or so that are left of the project.

2. Large bugs and such are addressed when they need fixing as part of development (such as, hopefully, lag in adventurer sites this time around since there will be work on new sites). Smaller ones in between development phases. Without being able to see the code, it's hard to tell which ever-spawning animals counts as. I assume there's a bug report somewhere. Maybe it'll even come as part of work on sites this time around (although last time we ended up with swarms of horses taking over the world, so there's obviously a lot of weird code involved...). There's no schedule.

3. No. That's a pretty fundamental part of how the game works. I doubt you can do anything about it yourself (except maybe a violent dfhack workaround to stop animals respawning completely, perhaps. But that doesn't really solve the problem).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:08:01 pm »

Will that stop them from respawning?
It keeps them from showing up at all, but I don't know what it does if you do it on an existing world.

You COULD look up the site info and delete the animal population entries for trolls and whatnot, I've done this and it works fine in an existing world, but it's easier to just remove them beforehand.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 02:17:16 am »

It keeps them from showing up at all, but I don't know what it does if you do it on an existing world.

You COULD look up the site info and delete the animal population entries for trolls and whatnot, I've done this and it works fine in an existing world, but it's easier to just remove them beforehand.

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot...

Thanks for the help...
Pages: [1] 2