Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Abandoned Project.  (Read 38855 times)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth (8/8) Turn 0
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 07:54:42 pm »

this is becoming very framiliar

move up towards the room
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »

Join the others, sticking with the largest group moving up toward room 909. This place is clearly very strange, and stranger for the fact Menuridae cannot remember how she came to be here. She is ever so used to being alone, now she will stay with the others.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:28 pm »

If Goggles' action isn't up by 8 PM CST tomorrow I'll probably go on without him. Suppose I should add to the OP that you have a little over 32 hours to post a turn before I'm forced to act.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:46:10 pm by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Goggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 09:49:08 pm »

Moves up with the group while attempting to befriend a pet rock

(I had no idea that I was allowed to participate, I thought I was waitlisted.
Um, same!

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth (8/8) Turn 1
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 11:02:58 pm »

Moves up with the group while attempting to befriend a pet rock

(I had no idea that I was allowed to participate, I thought I was waitlisted.

Official note that I miscounted, and was waiting for a 9th action.
Sorry, friend.

Summon a creature to act as my bodyguard, then head up to room 909.
[2+2] You conjure up an ogre-like creature wielding a club and wearing a large animal skin. "Maaaaster..." It grumbles dumbly.
Although it has trouble fitting in the door, it crouches a bit and tries again, this time fitting through. You and your ogre-friend head up the stairs until reaching a room with a
green iron door with "909" emblazoned on it and wait for the others.

I try to Climb up to the Room.
You ascend the stairwell til reaching the third floor, and see Tobias and an ogre down the hall in front of a door. You stand beside them and wait for the others.

..Yeuuugh..hmm. Curious. Where am- no, are WE? Well, whoever we are, we'd better start off with some introductions. The name is Arcodo, a Literi in service of the Ademire Academy library. Though, you may not know of the place. This city is..otherworldly. I would not be surprised to find that any of you, too, belong to different worlds.

Begin heading up to that room 909. Keep an eye out for the unusual, even the city itself. Who knows if it could be one big trap? Also, flip through memory for any significance of the number 909.

As you cautiously approach the glass door labeled 'PUSH', you look around and scan over the surroundings. Almost immediately, you notice that although the sky is bright and the city is illuminated, there doesn't seem to be any sort of light source. No street lights, no neon signs, not even a sun in the sky. Nothing that would emit light seems to exist here.
Carefully opening the door, you observe the lobby of the apartment complex. The presumably once shiny marble beneath your feet is covered in what appears to be scattered lichens and moss. It's kind of humid in here, at least for a modern apartment complex. As you begin ascending the stairs, you simultaneously [6] flip through your knowledge bank, and find two instances of the number 909 being significant. The first instance comes from some odd tome on what you assume to be the topic of numerology, and the way it is written makes little to no sense grammatically or conceptually. The second instance is only slightly more comprehensible. According to 'The Diary of Lord Julius II of Etheria', it's a lucky number mentioned many times, to the point of obvious obsession. Clearly Lord Julius II was a madman with an obsession with the number 909.

Aside from all this, you find nothing and wait next to Tobias, Larry, and the ogre.

"...Reboot complete. Initializing personality subroutines."
"Yar! Well, in this [Designation=Room 909], there better be some treasure! I be pathin' over there right now, mateys!"

Y4R-M8 walks into the building where the man poked his head out of, Scimitar by his side.

Drawing your monomolecular blade, you ascend the damp staircase to the third floor of the decrepit residence and find Tobias, Larry, and an unaccounted for ogre.

Just like everyone else, Crimson heads up to room 909.

Crimson conforms to the unanimous decision to enter and ascend the staircase where he finds most of the party.

Rolls Dice: 2
Rattles bones
Scribbles on whiteboard

Fun times ahead
Turns on boombox
Saunter after the rest, making sure to stay in the back.
Mr. Bones rendezvous with the party at room 909, rattling his bones and bangin'... whatever the hell kind of music that was all the while.

this is becoming very framiliar

move up towards the room

The crystalline golem Trier enters the building and ascends while having a bout of deja vu, which can probably be accounted for by the fact that he was thrown through a dimensional rift
mere minutes ago.

Join the others, sticking with the largest group moving up toward room 909. This place is clearly very strange, and stranger for the fact Menuridae cannot remember how she came to be here. She is ever so used to being alone, now she will stay with the others.

Menuridae, noting the unusual environment and delighted(?) by her newfound acquaintances, ascends the staircase with Trier.

Once the entire party reaches Room 909, the door forcefully swings open and you are all greeted by the grizzled-looking man who advised you to come inside a few minutes ago.
"How's it going, newbies? Since you're all fresh meat, you must be very confused. I know I was, and still am. Come in, come in, hurry."
Taking his advice, you all enter the room and notice that it's much bigger while you're inside of it than when you were looking in from the doorway. This could be an illusion of sorts, or maybe this is the work of something more insidious. The room is just as decrepit as the rest of the building, creaky wooden chairs litter the mostly empty room and cigarette butts have gathered in one of the corners. "I know, I know. It looks like shit, and it is. But it's shelter. That's what matters here.". "We'll probably be here a while, so it would probably been in your best interest to take a seat... except for maybe you." the man says as he points to the rancid beast Tobias conjured to serve as a bodyguard. My name is.. well, that's a complicated matter. Call me Phantus, it's an alias of mine.", Phantus states and pauses afterward to pull and light a cigarette from his coat pocket. He takes a deep drag, and blows the smoke. Except the smoke is green, and rather than reeking of tobacco it smells of limes. There's way too much here for me to explain everything at once, and most of it you guys probably wouldn't even care to know all of it. So here's a better idea; I'll lay out the basics and then you guys ask some questions.". Phantus puffs his cigarette and chokes a bit when he exhales. Firstly, you're no longer in the same universe. You're at a place called the 'Hub' at the center of a pandimensional cluster-fuck of a maze that I call the 'Labyrinth'. In this particular area, there are four gates to other parallel dimensions, but this is by far the safest of all of them. Once you leave here, you start venturing into tremendous danger- the other dimensions don't follow the same rules, and they're guarded by creatures I call 'minotaurs'. They take many shapes and forms, but they all serve the same purpose- chase you back to the Hub or kill you in the process. It's taken me twenty years just to figure all of that out for sure. Everything else is theory, and I've had twenty fucking years to think this shit over. I'm not sure there's an exit, although I've admittedly left the Hub very little compared to the previous Visitors that have come through, and that's why I've lived so damn long.", Phantus stops his ranting for a moment to take another drag of his odd cigarette. "Any questions at all, ask 'em now. I've got plenty of time, but you guys probably aspire to escape like the rest of them, so I mean it when I say ask now. I don't have all the answers, though, and the ones I do have other than what I just gave you may turn out to be a crock of shit. There's no way to be sure.".

You should probably ask him a few questions, and think of some if you don't have any. What kind of person has no questions in a situation like this anyway?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:49 am »

Rolls die: 1
Chatters teeth
Changes tune on Boombox
Scribbles on whiteboard
Draws quizzical eyebrows on skull
Points at man's smokable

Are those lemon-lime flavored?
Summon a can of Extradimensional Lemon-lime soda.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:11:12 am by piecewise »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 07:09:46 am »

"Be there any treasure to be [status=true]? Othern' that, is there any way to find out jus' precisely turns up odd in these places, how to path between 'em, [designation=Phantus]?
Y4R-M8 gives his questions, and waits for the others to do the same.

Avanti!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 08:01:46 am »

Arcodo took note of the name of the author of the numerology tome, and took a few steps away from the curious skeleton. Later, he'd have to figure out the rhyme and reason behind his dice rolls.
Firstly, have previous..occupants..no, prisoners, of this multidimensional maze told you anything about the places outside the gates? I'd prefer to make an informed decision on which gate to go through first. Are there any sets of traits that these minotaurs have in common? Particularly, how does one distinguish a Minotaur from another monster or prisoner?
Have other prisoners left anything behind in this Hub? Where have other prisoners lived in the Hub? Where could we live in the Hub? Are there any particular locations of interest in the Hub? For example, a library? A hospital? A place where we could find nourishment-there must be, if you've lived here 20 years? Is there any particular reason you chose to live in this room, as opposed to the many others in this same building? You said that the Hub was the LEAST dangerous place in the maze, as if there was still SOME form of danger here. Is there danger in the Hub, and if so, what is it? When was the last time you know that new people were imprisoned here? Did people usually come one or two at a time, or, instead, in big groups? Do you have any particular talents, other than survivial? When was the first time you know of people entering the maze? Lastly, does everyone here come from the same world, or different worlds?

Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 08:10:48 am »

"So wha' can ya tell us 'bout the surroundin' universes?"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:29 am »

These minotaurs, do they also guard loot?
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 08:00:27 pm »

'What is the furthest anyone has gotten through the labyrinth and still made it back to tell you about it? How do you know they are being killed and not, in fact, finding a way out? And why do you think it is that the hub is a safe-haven?'

Menuridae is not worried over loot. For one she is hardly a warrior, and for two there is going to be no opportunity to spend it unless they make it out.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2017, 11:26:33 pm »

"..."

Crimson lets the others speak out first as he contemplates on what to say. Although he is not worried about any hostilities breaking out, there's too many suspicious things about the grizzled man.

"Ok. Mr. Phantus, sorry if I sound distrustful but my line of work sometimes requires that kind of thinking. Anyway, I just want a bit more explanation about something. You are telling us that despite your power, you haven't decided to venture out that much to find a way to escape since it's too dangerous?

And just a note for the others, Mr. Phantus here is clearly more powerful than any of us individually and maybe even as a group, if the immense magic power I'm sensing from him is not some sort of illusion."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 04:48:36 pm »

Tobias goes through a repeating mimicry of a fish, opening his mouth to say something and immediately closing it as the others ask so many questions. Finally, he just stops and waits until the others are done before quickly tacking on his comment to the end of the "I bet I could summon something to fight a minotaur. Or at least buy us a few seconds to run. Although if Mr. Phantus could give us a general idea about what to expect in the nearest dimensions he has been to, I could try to tailor my summons to better deal with them."
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth (8/8) Turn 2
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 06:06:50 pm »

Rolls die: 1
Chatters teeth
Changes tune on Boombox
Scribbles on whiteboard
Draws quizzical eyebrows on skull
Points at man's smokable

Are those lemon-lime flavored?
Summon a can of Extradimensional Lemon-lime soda.

As Mr. Bones holds his white board towards Phantus, he raises a quizzical eyebrow of his own when a can of soda appears in the skeleton's hand.
"Well, they're supposed to be, but all I'm tasting is lime and no lemon. Damn Merchant." Frowning slightly, he turns to respond to Y4R-M8.

"Be there any treasure to be [status=true]? Othern' that, is there any way to find out jus' precisely turns up odd in these places, how to path between 'em, [designation=Phantus]?
Y4R-M8 gives his questions, and waits for the others to do the same.

"Treasure? Well, there's lots of things you can pick up and take with you. Lots of shiny things in some dimensions, but if it ain't magical, deadly, or edible it's not of much use here. That is, unless the Merchant shows up." Phantus pauses as if something is wrong. OH! Forgot to mention that part. There's this weird guy that just kinda pops up sometimes, at the same intersection you guys appeared at. He only calls himself 'the merchant', and he appears sporadically. Usually when someone brings back a lot of magical artifacts. He'll offer you things to trade him for if he's interested. I'm not sure how he gets in here and leaves so suddenly, and frankly it's really fucking creepy. He's who I get my smokes from, for free oddly enough. Something about them being 'damaged goods'. Probably should kick the habit... ah, fuck it." Phantus puffs his cigarette before answering Y4R-M8's next question. And as far as your second question goes, the one about me maybe having a map or something. That's another thing about this place that gives me the heebie jeebies: The portals don't always lead to the same place as they have before. So I can't be sure where anything is, actually. It's probably changed several times since I last left.".

Arcodo took note of the name of the author of the numerology tome, and took a few steps away from the curious skeleton. Later, he'd have to figure out the rhyme and reason behind his dice rolls.
Firstly, have previous..occupants..no, prisoners, of this multidimensional maze told you anything about the places outside the gates? I'd prefer to make an informed decision on which gate to go through first. Are there any sets of traits that these minotaurs have in common? Particularly, how does one distinguish a Minotaur from another monster or prisoner?
Have other prisoners left anything behind in this Hub? Where have other prisoners lived in the Hub? Where could we live in the Hub? Are there any particular locations of interest in the Hub? For example, a library? A hospital? A place where we could find nourishment-there must be, if you've lived here 20 years? Is there any particular reason you chose to live in this room, as opposed to the many others in this same building? You said that the Hub was the LEAST dangerous place in the maze, as if there was still SOME form of danger here. Is there danger in the Hub, and if so, what is it? When was the last time you know that new people were imprisoned here? Did people usually come one or two at a time, or, instead, in big groups? Do you have any particular talents, other than survivial? When was the first time you know of people entering the maze? Lastly, does everyone here come from the same world, or different worlds?

Phantus gets wide-eyed momentarily. "Man, you asked a lot of questions, so I'll answer them short, sweet, and to the point." Phantus places his index fingers on his temples and begins to rub gently, as if trying to soothe a headache. "Like I told the robot, they have said things. The information is likely obsolete, however. Minotaurs are so varied, it's safe to assume everything you come across is a minotaur- Everything that doesn't seem to be is likely one of the sneakier ones. Many visitors have left things behind, not all of them are exactly savory. Matter of fact, I have on right here..." Phantus produces a featureless white mask with three openings, one on the forehead and two where eyes are usually located. "This is an artifact a man who called himself 'Whisper' left. As for it's effects.." He presses the mask onto his face, situating it so that it won't fall off. Suddenly, Phantus is no longer there. After a moment of confusion among the group, he flickers back into sight with the mask in his hand. "Invisiblity. Next question, not many stick around the hub. Most are way too anxious to find an exit, understandably so. You could live in the rooms in this building, but it's the only one I'd trust. I've never had anything that manages to make it here step in this building, even when it knew I was here. That also answers your question of why this is the least dangerous, because although there are no native minotaurs, a few still slip in somehow every now and then. I chose this room because I like the number 909, so no real reason. A group of newbies like your own popped up about a week ago, haven't heard from 'em since they left through the 2nd Gate. Probably dead. Usually groups of 8 appear, but I've seen up to 20 or so appear at once before. As for talents... um, that's a bit complicated." Phantus looks uncomfortable at that question, and scratches his head with his free hand. First time I know of was when my group appeared 20 years ago- all from worlds far different than my own. That about covers yourquestions, eh?" Phantus turns to Larry.

"So wha' can ya tell us 'bout the surroundin' universes?"

"As I've said, not much to say specifically except this; Nothing is impossible. Guy named Jarvis stumbled in through one of the Gates covered in small lacerations, head to toe. He just kept babbling about 'glass everywhere'. Obviously, I'm not too anxious to leave after that incident..." After a moment of awkward silence, Phantus coughs a bit and answers Trier's question.

These minotaurs, do they also guard loot?

"So they say. Like I stated earlier, you can oftentimes find weird and valuable artifacts." Phantus taps Whisper's mask repeatedly as he speaks.

'What is the furthest anyone has gotten through the labyrinth and still made it back to tell you about it? How do you know they are being killed and not, in fact, finding a way out? And why do you think it is that the hub is a safe-haven?'

Menuridae is not worried over loot. For one she is hardly a warrior, and for two there is going to be no opportunity to spend it unless they make it out.

"A couple have made it pretty far, like the group that Whisper came with. Come to think of it, Whisper could still be alive. He disappeared when a particularly nasty Minotaur wondered in through the gates one night, but I never found any blood or anything. Just the mask he carried around. He came here before me, even. I don't know for sure whether people are dying, but the occasional incident where someone crawls back to the hub missing their legs or covered in weeping sores has me convinced they are. I have no idea about why the Hub in particular is a relatively safe place, but I think it has to do with whatever created this maze. Whoever made it likely wants to see if someone can make it out, that's my theory anyway. If that were the case, they'd know people would require rest between expeditions to have a remote chance. That's my belief, though."

"..."

Crimson lets the others speak out first as he contemplates on what to say. Although he is not worried about any hostilities breaking out, there's too many suspicious things about the grizzled man.

"Ok. Mr. Phantus, sorry if I sound distrustful but my line of work sometimes requires that kind of thinking. Anyway, I just want a bit more explanation about something. You are telling us that despite your power, you haven't decided to venture out that much to find a way to escape since it's too dangerous?

And just a note for the others, Mr. Phantus here is clearly more powerful than any of us individually and maybe even as a group, if the immense magic power I'm sensing from him is not some sort of illusion."

Phantus chuckles a bit, perhaps nervously. "Wow. I didn't account for that, most mages can't trace my mana signature from under my shroud. I'll be a bit more candid now, but take me seriously when I say this and don't have me repeat it." Phantus is speaking with a hint of anger in his voice. He raises his right hand, and as he does so, an empty chair in the corner of the room vibrates violently before cracking into pieces as if it were fine china rather than a chair made of wood. A chill runs over the group as he does so, the violent release of magic clearly potent enough for even those unattuned to feel that something was amiss. "If you think magic will keep you safe in all of those dimensions, you're damn wrong. In some of them, magic doesn't even exist. The most powerful sorcerers I encountered were Visitors here, and they never made it back in one piece. As soon as you lose whatever space-time coin toss dictates where a gate places you and you discover your magic doesn't work anymore, you're just a frail little boy that calls himself a wizard. This place has it's way of destroying gifted spellcasters and mighty warriors alike."

Phantus takes the deepest drag thus far, before dropping his cigarette and stomping it out.

Tobias goes through a repeating mimicry of a fish, opening his mouth to say something and immediately closing it as the others ask so many questions. Finally, he just stops and waits until the others are done before quickly tacking on his comment to the end of the "I bet I could summon something to fight a minotaur. Or at least buy us a few seconds to run. Although if Mr. Phantus could give us a general idea about what to expect in the nearest dimensions he has been to, I could try to tailor my summons to better deal with them."

"No idea, kid. I'd be more confident in my ability to survive here if I had a way of knowing what the fuck I was getting myself into." The rough-looking mage sighs, obviously frustrated.

"You guys should probably just jump through one of the Gates and hope for the best, really. But first, it'd be a good idea for those of you alive to eat something." Phantus gestures to a previously unnoticed cabinet near the back of the room. "You'll find some nourishment in there. Water, survival rations and the like. It ain't tasty, but you'll learn to love it if you want to live." He gets up and opens the cabinet door, pulls out several large brown paper packets and sets them down in a pile on the empty chair he stands over. "Rip 'em open and you'll find some goodies inside." Tossing bottles of water and brown packets to everyone aside from Mr Bones and Trier. Tearing open a packet of his own, he pulled out what appeared to be rounded hunks of a bread-like substance. "Go whenever you please, I'm used to seeing it happen by now anyway." He walks off coolly through the open door, leaving a slight citrus-y scent behind.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth (8/8) Turn 2
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »

"If thar be [concept=Loot], its good enough fer me! [designation.placeholder=Skeleton], ye seem to be the trustworthy type, so I'll go along with ye."
Y4R-M8 decides to keep close to Mr. Bones, and goes along with it.

Avanti!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22