Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few things for animal people specifically  (Read 2383 times)

oliverrook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few things for animal people specifically
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:42 pm »

So, I created an animal character, using the "intelligent wild creature" option, and I have a few suggestions:
1. If I'm supposedly just like my carnivorous animal counter-part, shouldn't it let me eat things raw? And in the giant predator's/snakes cases, whole?
2. I feel that I should be able to eat things like snails and beetles as a creature who would normally eat things like that (say, a fox, or a bird?)
3. Maybe a few more unique abilities for certain animal people, like a skunk's ability to spray, or a spider's ability to create web/stick to things?
4. I find it hilarious how the flying squirrel man lacks the ability to glide, or even slow their descent partially.
5. I also find it hilarious how mosquito men can be averse to drinking blood (or can actually eat quite a bit besides blood).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: A few things for animal people specifically
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:51:56 am »

well the last one is set only to the female side of the mosquito group
third one seems to be a given for spiders given how animal men raws work, since it copies all of the race your basing it on including the interactions, just that toady seem to pick the 2 who rarely spin webs or if they do it's not on giant cavespider levels.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:50 am »

So, I created an animal character, using the "intelligent wild creature" option, and I have a few suggestions:
1. If I'm supposedly just like my carnivorous animal counter-part, shouldn't it let me eat things raw? And in the giant predator's/snakes cases, whole?
2. I feel that I should be able to eat things like snails and beetles as a creature who would normally eat things like that (say, a fox, or a bird?)
4. I find it hilarious how the flying squirrel man lacks the ability to glide, or even slow their descent partially.

1. Technically you can eat things raw, however it would require butchering the creature first with a sharp tool in hand, actually biting into a carcass and eating it that way is firstly, terrible sentient manners & secondly a little impractical for the game system at the moment (eating a entire creature would need to account for creature size)

2. Sentients can eat pet vermin as delicacies, so may i ask have you tried eating any vermin? (it may be the barrier is that the animal is not tame, therefore you can't eat it as a foodstuff) otherwise gooses have vermin eating tags, so it may be worthwhile to try making goose-men or adopt the tag onto another creature.

4. There are no explicit flying motor controls for air/land base transition, so no gliding at the moment, though there are types of animalmen who can 'fly' (in a limited capacity able to hover off the ground, but not a jumping start to flying into the air or anything)

Moderate your expectations a teeny weeny bit, as most of these things are a little ahead of where we are at currently in development, and if you have any suggestions for how we could improve animalmen, feel free to share in the suggestions part of the forums along with how you'd think we could implement it.

> A good example is a recent example of oystermen, with the posters supplying a picture of a oyster with legs & arms with the shell on the outside. explicitly showing via drawing how you'd imagine the changes to look or how they'd work, for instance the 'wings' of a flying squirrel could be a new body part etc.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:58 pm »

Remember you're not playing a wild animal-man. Assume that the whole 'civilizing' process involves intense lessons in acceptable eating habits and such in dwarf/human/elf culture.

Just think Clockwork Orange.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »

Although I whole heartedly agree that it would be great if we had more distinctive traits that set animals and animal men apart from each other there are already some examples of this in the game.

Many of the insect men don't feel pain. Some animal men can fly. Spider animal men don't get stuck on webs. Rattlesnake men are venomous. Giant Tortoise men can withdraw into their shell etc. You could always mod in a bunch of unique flavor stuff that you deem fitting.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:05:32 am »

Although I whole heartedly agree that it would be great if we had more distinctive traits that set animals and animal men apart from each other there are already some examples of this in the game.

Many of the insect men don't feel pain. Some animal men can fly. Spider animal men don't get stuck on webs. Rattlesnake men are venomous. Giant Tortoise men can withdraw into their shell etc. You could always mod in a bunch of unique flavor stuff that you deem fitting.
arachnids are neutral to bogeymen due to lacking fear, but cant swim.
elephantmen straight up will die if you stick them in a non grassy area if you retire, due to starvation.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »

arachnids are neutral to bogeymen due to lacking fear, but cant swim.

Wait, does that mean if you encounter bogeymen as an arachnid person, you'll be able to strike up a friendly conversation with them just like you'd do with any sapient creature ?

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 06:47:32 pm »

While I agree that more abilities would be neat, as for dietary concerns I just look to the "man" part of the compound word. Although I do consider it a bit odd that you can't eat ANYthing sentient anymore - even a troglodyte. Like I don't know why I as a rhinoman or lizardperson or whatever would find it disturbing to eat a troglodyte who I wasn't convinced was capable of speech to begin with. But I remember a few updates back I used to butcher my companions and eat them when I got hungry - I wouldn't mind that as an option in general. Sometimes those tiny animals can be too hard to sneak up on... sometimes it's more dependable to earn people's trust.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »

If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body?

No adventurer being able to eat/use anything with the CAN_LEARN tag is a bug.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.