Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tavern questions  (Read 3763 times)

postfux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tavern questions
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:35:37 am »

So I have this very well going taverns (open to anyone) near the surface and have decided to move the fortress down to the magma sea.

Metal industry is already down there but stopped being productive because my smiths decided to spend their time in the tavern.

They have their own well stocked tavern (only citicens and long term residents) in the lower fortress but for some reason they always run the whole way up to the surface.

One of them buggers left his workplace to run up to his beloved watering hole, stopped at the well stocked first cavern barracks to grab a goblet and continued upwards?

This behaviour is crippling all relevant fortress operations.

Anyone with insight how to influence tavern behaviour without using a burrow?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tavern questions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:46 am »

I've seen dorfs continue to use the first tavern, even when it's moved and converted to a visitors only one (technically open to all, but placed out of the way to keep the dorfs at the new residents only one).
I've also tried reversing it, so the visitor's tavern is the second one, located remotely already from the start (with the first one restricted from the start). That seems to work a little better, but the stupid buggers still occasionally go to the remote one, even though it should almost never be the closest one even as the dwarf digs when they feel like doing some socializing.

Your best bet is probably to let the riffraff into the center of your fortress with appropriate were-and-vampire counter measures in place and move the visitor's tavern down. The other alternative is to close the visitor's one.

postfux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:49:24 pm »

Human bards in the heart of the mountain?! Never!!

I am also afraid that moving or closing the upper taverns will unhinge the upper fortress. In the current state *giant cave spider socks* seem to be more critical than +steel battle axes+.

But I suspect there are some secrets going on with job priorities since I moved the metal industry down. 7 to 8 out of 8 smiths are socializing some 80+ z levels above their work place any given moment and I guess the peasant dorfs picking up jobs in the basement dont behave any better. My bin situation is escalating and I suspect the gem stockpile in the cellar to be the root of all evil. Mechanism stockpile down under is also dysfunctional for unknown reason.

Guess I am in for some behavior analysis but dont even know where to start with so many unknown factors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:16:48 pm »

80 Z levels isn't that much, as it doesn't matter to a dorf if distance traveled is vertical or horizontal. If your smiths are socializing rather than working, however, you've got other issues. One reason is that they've been kept from socializing and have pent up needs that have to be satisfied, but if their socializing is interruptible they don't think they can take the jobs posted, and so idle because there are no jobs for them to do.
Burrows, lack of a path, workshop restrictions, not having the correct job assigned are all reasons that can cause posted jobs not to be taken up. Note that some of DT's screens don't list one of the smithing professions, while other screens do, so checking all visible skills on the incomplete screens won't actually cover all of them.

Some job facilitator DFHack plugin caused havoc on my fortress two years ago, as it somehow caused jobs to fall through the cracks and be posted but never taken up. I suspect it's been fixed since, but I steer clear of those. Automatic job assignment will override your assignments another of those plugins).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:43 pm »

I've read (somewhere in the wiki iirc) that dwarfs with a drink preference will always try to drink that. Dwarfs also get unhappy from "the same old booze". Checking thoughts and preferences might show something, including if they have a bunch of new non-dwarf friends.

If the job is on the jobs menu and is inactive, and you go to that workshop and set it to 'n'ow, they should drop socializing and go to do the work, but they will not drop eat/drink/sleep. This is a short-term way to prioritize the work until the real issue is found out. Maybe the upper tavern is just much nicer (higher value) and a few gold statues in the basement tavern will help.

All guessing on my part....
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

postfux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:26:46 am »

I am using dwarf therapist for job asignment and workshop profiles for industry managemment. Everything was running fine until I started to move the fortress downwards.

My smiths are specialized (2 for every relevant profession) and the workshop shows there is work to do (a lot). All conditions in the profiles are met, there are bars in abundance by now and there are no workshop links. I havent got a single piece of furniture for months, only a not needed war hammer gets or battle axe gets made every now and then. Improving my lower fortress with golden furniture and moving the other stuff down (which was the plan from the beginning) is stopped for good.

This is only the most visible example of my fortress spinning into chaos and so I suspected the tavern (or the distance to it) is causing all this mayhem since its where my smiths spend their valuable time. Unforuntaly its not only a z level problem but the 3rd cavern made a very annoying roundabout necessary.

The lack of bin distribution is by now also becoming a major problem. Giving how lively my upper taverns are, these guys are likely also drinking more than they should.

Analysing peasant behavior has the potential of disrupting my privat live in addition to my fortress.

Guess I have to make the right decision, look at the job list and start observing peasants as soon as possible and tell my wife I have important work to do.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:16:21 am »

I think you should prioritize real life: DF will wait for you, while your wife might not... Sure, it will take longer to do the needed analysis, but it probably pays off in the long run. You could, of course, use subtlety and introduce your wife to DF...

The third cavern detour can be handled by securing the cavern and then route the traffic through it, or just build a staircase (protected by enclosing walls) through it. That can be done while benign groups are present in the cavern. You can halt the job and withdraw the dorfs as they leave and resume when a new benign group shows up.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 03:56:04 pm »

Pro TiP:
Space bar pauses the game, not the wife.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 04:15:05 pm »

Pro TiP:
Space bar pauses the game, not the wife.

I recommend quality snacks as a wife-pausing method.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 03:05:56 pm »

I think you should prioritize real life: DF will wait for you, while your wife might not... Sure, it will take longer to do the needed analysis, but it probably pays off in the long run. You could, of course, use subtlety and introduce your wife to DF...

whats this, a gaming community handing out free life advise? Man, the community really IS half the game!
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:10:28 pm »

whats this, a gaming community handing out free life advice? Man, the community really IS half the game!

Yep, that's us. [grin]
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 06:29:34 am »

whats this, a gaming community handing out free life advice? Man, the community really IS half the game!

Yep, that's us. [grin]
Just don't confuse our in game advice with our life advice.
Especially on the topic of the proper way to raise children  :D

postfux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 09:06:51 am »

I got so frustrated by inexplicable behavior that in the end I had to admit my failure and did quit.

Nothing I tried seemed to work. I analyzed the situation, searched for solutions but by the grace of god could not make it right, no mather what I did.

Until now I do not even understand what I did wrong in the first place.

I am finished!

Sorry for this personal rant.

I will keep you informed as soon as I fix the tavern issue. Real live kept me from DF, but I got some spare time available now.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:31 pm »

Are you using burrowed workshops? Dial it back to one dwarf for a given task like weaponsmith and be sure the smithy in question has no level limits set in workshop profile.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:32 pm »

Some job facilitator DFHack plugin caused havoc on my fortress two years ago, as it somehow caused jobs to fall through the cracks and be posted but never taken up. I suspect it's been fixed since, but I steer clear of those. Automatic job assignment will override your assignments another of those plugins).
Workflow? Yeah, that's been fixed (DFHack 0.40.24-r5). Autochop had similar issues until recently as well.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: [1] 2