Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "The fortress attracted no migrants this season"  (Read 20671 times)

Judge Dredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The fortress attracted no migrants this season"
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:24:15 pm »

So eh, I'm fairly confident my civilization isnt dead, I have no idea how legends viewer works and I didnt export the world when i created it.

I have no dwarven liaison but I had a dwarven caravan arrive on the first autumn, my fortress is worth roughly 800,000 "money" so i dont think exports is a problem. I purposefully give a heck ton of crafts away for free in a hopes to get more migrants.

Ive recieved 1 migrant wave, year is 253 now so 3 years old. Really don't want to have to give up this fortress. Is there a way to force a caravan from the mountain homes to arrive so they can report back and say "Hey they still exists, send the migrants".

Thanks guys.

Judge Dredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The fortress attracted no migrants this season"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:26:30 pm »

Probably worth adding this so you can see I dont have a pop cap of 20

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »

If you are outside of range of your civ or on another continent (without your civ having world construction:tunnels like goblins) you will not get any more than the pre-programmed 2 waves of migrants. You will not get regular caravans either, as units have to walk across long distances in world activation (though the effect of roads speeding things up is unknown) because every historical figure realistically moves around.

You may have to rely on trying to breed your 'starting dwarves' or attracting long-term residents with a successful tavern/library if you are nearby any other civs that are friendly. Your other option is to retire the site when you are happy with the state of your fortress (sufficiently built up and not too shabby) and then attract migrants from your old retired fortress to your new one within range.

Every time you create a fortress, the starting 7 & first 2 migrant waves are cheated in out of non-existing population.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:34:57 pm by FantasticDorf »

Judge Dredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:25:24 pm »

If you are outside of range of your civ or on another continent (without your civ having world construction:tunnels like goblins) you will not get any more than the pre-programmed 2 waves of migrants. You will not get regular caravans either, as units have to walk across long distances in world activation (though the effect of roads speeding things up is unknown) because every historical figure realistically moves around.

You may have to rely on trying to breed your 'starting dwarves' or attracting long-term residents with a successful tavern/library if you are nearby any other civs that are friendly. Your other option is to retire the site when you are happy with the state of your fortress (sufficiently built up and not too shabby) and then attract migrants from your old retired fortress to your new one within range.

Every time you create a fortress, the starting 7 & first 2 migrant waves are cheated in out of non-existing population.

Well....dammit.. Was really really hoping for a fix, even a cheat to force enable migrants just to test some ideas I had, thanks for the help though.

do you know if theres a way to check if you are in range? I did choose the closest civilization to me, they couldnt have been more than 25 ish tiles away. Just so I dont make this mistake again. Thanks.

Judge Dredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:38:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are you SUREEEE im too far away? you can see my civilization is right next to me, just up north. No way is that too far away.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:45:54 pm »

Enter the DFHack console and type "migrants-now". It's cheaty, but it will force a migrant wave, in most cases.

Judge Dredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:53:36 am »

So I think I might know what happened, but someone that knows more than me might have another opinion.

Here is a screenshot of the year 249 winter, one season before I arrive. If you click the spoiler in the above post you can see where I appear.

Here is another screenshot of the year 253, however this looks identical to 250. The goblins actually attacked and captured some land inbetween me and my civilization.

Would the taking of that settlement, inbetween me, another settlement and the rest of our civilization stop me from receiving migrants?

If so then how is it remotely fair and how was I to know what was transpiring, blisfully unaware building my fort. I had really high hopes for my current fort.

Had the taking of that settlement completely ruined my fortress from the first season I played?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 02:31:34 am »

This might be worth trying - see the report about getting migrants again after using dismissmerchants.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider a fort without migration ruined on the face of it, given visitors can match migration in numbers depending on world, and you can always breed as well. They're not as fast, but unless you regularly lose third the fort in tragic minecart accidents...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:02 am »

Your range looks good, if a little far that it might extend a caravan journey or migrant journey but not too far.

Wars can be exhausting on population, so there's a risk that a lot of dwarves to draw migrants off have been killed staging a defence against the goblins.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 10:58:05 am »

I had this exact same issue, right down to having goblins take over forts... but the problem for me was the stuck merchant issue mentioned in the thread that Fleeting Frames guided you to.  However, later in that thread Patrick came up with a simple 'dismissmerchants' script and that cleared the problem up for me.  You need to copy/paste that script into a text file in the DFHack 'script' directory, then run 'dismissmerchants' from the DFHack window.  I recommend going to the end of that thread because the first scripts in it were 'works in progress' and I think Pat's gets to the root of the problem, fixing a stuck flag on the merchant units.

The hallmark of this problem is that if you carefully check your stocks, you will find red merchant gear, and zooming to it will bring you to the map edge where it is "off map" along with several invisible merchants whom may be dead or alive.  These merchants have not officially left the map, and merchants that have not left cannot report on your fort, and no reports on your fort lead to no migrations.  Pat's script toggles a flag that indicates whether or not they have 'left' to fix the issue.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Judge Dredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:53 am »

Installed the command and used it, waited for next season and unfortunately it still happens. I suppose I should just make a new fortress and give up with this one, theres no way im breeding for my fortress, I dont have the time to sit around for 20 years while babies grow up.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:46 am »

When you say you used it, did you see a response ("Dismissing merchant") to your command, or no output?   If you saw "Dismissing merchants", try waiting another season.  If no output, then it must be a different issue I'm afraid.  If you saw "...not a recognized command" then it wasn't installed correctly.  I should mention that it should be saved as a .lua file in the hack/scripts directory (ie <df folder>\hack\scripts\dismissmerchants.lua).  Good luck.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:07:56 pm »

Dwarven migrants are attracted to sweet fermented liquids, like honey or fruit. Put out a feeder in a prominent location. It may look like they are walking, but they are actually fluttering their arms at over 50 times a second to achieve an even hover.

Dwarven migrants also move south for the winter, so building your fort well on one side of the equator will help you predict their arrival. Beware, as many migrating dwarves are territorial and may fight with each other over sources of food/philosophical debates.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:51 am »

Dwarven migrants are attracted to sweet fermented liquids, like honey or fruit. Put out a feeder in a prominent location. It may look like they are walking, but they are actually fluttering their arms at over 50 times a second to achieve an even hover.

Dwarven migrants also move south for the winter, so building your fort well on one side of the equator will help you predict their arrival. Beware, as many migrating dwarves are territorial and may fight with each other over sources of food/philosophical debates.

This article is rated d for Dorf.

Erithtotl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 11:55:33 am »

Resurrecting this thread.

I have the no migrants problem and no dwarf caravans.  Looking at the Civilization screen, it appears that my parent civilization has been locked in a war with the other dwarven civ for the entire duration of my fort.

I got the initial two waves then nothing.  I'm down to about 15 dwarves and a pile of children.  Can't get a mayor.  I have a ridiculous amount of food (over 2000 prepared meals!), weapons, wealth, supplies and a massive dug out fortress with rooms, libraries, temples, taverns, workshops, etc.

A couple of forgotten beasts showed up and killed a bunch of people.  I haven't had any raids or sieges.

There doesn't seem much point in continuing despite having the great foundation of a fort. The children won't even be useful for many more years.

Thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2