Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "The fortress attracted no migrants this season"  (Read 20667 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: "The fortress attracted no migrants this season"
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 03:46:22 pm »

What about visitors? Are there any visitors? If not, maybe the visitor cap is accidentally lowered. The tavern should bring tons of visitors (maybe not from the warring states, but from all other at peace, even if "no contact" is reported). Make some rooms and assign to the tavern, just in case someone shows up and would want to ask for residency.

Libraries should bring some scholars.

Also temples can bring visitors, but much smaller amount (for example monks), hence they are no solution.

Scholars and entertainers can be naturalised after about two years, so they could be used for making numbers faster than children. Mercenaries can be trained, and made into squads which will occupy sites (but you need 1 citizen officer for every 9 merc soldiers).

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:38:08 pm »

Did you dig out any squares? I know aboveground fortresses don't get migrants until they strike the earth.

(never mind, forgotten beasts = breached caverns)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:41:15 pm by Tarqeq »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 04:30:08 am »

Dedicated temples draw visitors, but none that petition. Thus, they serve only to bring rabble that thin out the crowd of visitors that may be useful, as well as to extend the time visitors stay (slowing turnover) through prayer benders.

Low pop worlds tend to bring few visitors. The pocket worlds I've made have gathered a total of 1 visitor before I gave up on pocket worlds (others have reported having better luck with visitors in pocket worlds, though).

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 05:44:43 pm »

I know aboveground fortresses don't get migrants until they strike the earth.

Having played multiple no-dig fortresses, I am confident that earth-striking is *not* required for immigration.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 10:28:53 pm »

So eh, I'm fairly confident my civilization isnt dead, I have no idea how legends viewer works and I didnt export the world when i created it.

I have no dwarven liaison but I had a dwarven caravan arrive on the first autumn, my fortress is worth roughly 800,000 "money" so i dont think exports is a problem. I purposefully give a heck ton of crafts away for free in a hopes to get more migrants.

Ive recieved 1 migrant wave, year is 253 now so 3 years old. Really don't want to have to give up this fortress. Is there a way to force a caravan from the mountain homes to arrive so they can report back and say "Hey they still exists, send the migrants".

Thanks guys.

In the latest versions, if the civilization is otherwise dead, another king will be selected from the dwarven population. In fact, this would happen in your fortress. You can check in the civilization list to see whether you have a king, outpost liason, and also all the other goblin and elf drunks you might have as barons and dukes.

Resurrecting this thread.

I have the no migrants problem and no dwarf caravans.  Looking at the Civilization screen, it appears that my parent civilization has been locked in a war with the other dwarven civ for the entire duration of my fort.

I got the initial two waves then nothing.  I'm down to about 15 dwarves and a pile of children.  Can't get a mayor.  I have a ridiculous amount of food (over 2000 prepared meals!), weapons, wealth, supplies and a massive dug out fortress with rooms, libraries, temples, taverns, workshops, etc.

A couple of forgotten beasts showed up and killed a bunch of people.  I haven't had any raids or sieges.

There doesn't seem much point in continuing despite having the great foundation of a fort. The children won't even be useful for many more years.

Thoughts?

One possibility might be that the fortress is on another island, or cut off. In previous versions, unless you were completely cut off from the map edges by ocean, you'd get a caravan. However, these days I believe the caravan may actually have to be able to find a path.

If no other civilizations can reach you, you probably won't get guests. Otherwise, you should UNLESS your started at year 2 or year 5.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 [2]