Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590353 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Semate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15105 on: December 02, 2017, 09:23:20 pm »

i don't think he'd jump ship even if the majority of the nation was against him.
Uh, status quo?

Which is pretty much my point, Nixons popularity had really dropped and impeachment was coming, so, he knew when he had to fold. Does Trump look like someone who knows when to fold? Nope, he'd just dig in and double-triple-quadruple-multiuple (not a misspelling btw) down. His base would have to abandon him (or Trump gets threatened with physical harm via angry mob, let's hope it doesn't come to that) for Trump to really know when to exit.

Tl;dr, I don't see Trump stepping down semi-quietly or without a fight in the case of impeachment.

Edit @culise: Isn't Minnesota mainly a Democrat state? Though yeah, politics is messed up as it is :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:29:47 pm by smjjames »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Semate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15106 on: December 02, 2017, 09:34:29 pm »

Edit @culise: Isn't Minnesota mainly a Democrat state? Though yeah, politics is messed up as it is :P
With the usual local-versus-federal caveats, yes; it even has a Democrat for Governor right now, though both the House and Senate are Republican.  Even if Franken resigned tonight, his replacement would likely be a Democrat as well.  The issue is apparently that if Franken resigns, even if he's replaced by John/Jane Q. Donkey, that it sets a precedent for the next accused Democrat to also resign.  If that happens in, say, Wisconsin or Illinois, both of which have Republican governors, it means that the Democrats lose a vote.  And thus, it appears that morality takes second-place to politics once more for fear of a hypothetical that has not yet come. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15107 on: December 02, 2017, 09:54:51 pm »

That makes sense politically for the Senate (except for states where the Governor does not appoint a successor, but even then, there would be uncertainty), but it's different for Representatives since they'd just have a special election instead. However, even Conyers, who is in a safe Dem seat, is resisting calls to resign.

I guess a politically safe option for Senators would to just not run for office next time. Or they might just choose to face voters next time, which may actually be worse.

Dangit, it's times like this that I wish our politics were more like a parliamentary system with an abundance of parties.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15108 on: December 03, 2017, 02:09:21 am »

That makes sense politically for the Senate (except for states where the Governor does not appoint a successor, but even then, there would be uncertainty), but it's different for Representatives since they'd just have a special election instead. However, even Conyers, who is in a safe Dem seat, is resisting calls to resign.

I guess a politically safe option for Senators would to just not run for office next time. Or they might just choose to face voters next time, which may actually be worse.

Dangit, it's times like this that I wish our politics were more like a parliamentary system with an abundance of parties.

Well, then you'd need a constitutional amendment to change away from first-past-the-post voting; any such system trends towards a two-party system.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15109 on: December 03, 2017, 10:14:14 am »

ABC suspends Brian Ross for erroneous Flynn report.

Quite the own goal there, Brian. Fake news, indeed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: December 03, 2017, 12:32:48 pm »

-snip- Panzer III -snip-

Classless cheapskates.

Everyone knows that it's not Nazi enough until it's a Tiger II in full SS division insignia.

EDIT: Slight issue of quote shenanigans
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: December 03, 2017, 01:50:39 pm »

If it can drive on a highway, its not small enough to be a real nazi tank.  WW2 German tanks weren't big enough to be real nazi tanks!  real nazis were not practically minded people
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: December 03, 2017, 02:04:33 pm »

Well, Hitler was not a practically minded person; he approved the Ratte and Monster, but Speer canceled both several months later.

Then again, the 800mm main armament for the Monster was actually built and used (as the Schwerer Gustav), so...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: December 03, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »

ABC suspends Brian Ross for erroneous Flynn report.

Quite the own goal there, Brian. Fake news, indeed.

Nah, I'm sure ABC is truly a paragon of journalistic integrity. I mean, we all know only good people hashtag resist naz Trump.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: December 03, 2017, 02:26:36 pm »

Are you suggesting ABC news isn't legit?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: December 03, 2017, 02:57:43 pm »

I'm suggesting that modern media in general is caught up with twitter-cycle based "news analysis" which minimizes news in favor of analysis calculated to speak to the political leanings of their customer base.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: December 03, 2017, 07:56:21 pm »

[Fox News sits in the corner, whistling innocently.]

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »

It’s not really a modern phenomena either, to be fair.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: December 03, 2017, 09:15:35 pm »

I'm suggesting that modern media in general is caught up with twitter-cycle based "news analysis" which minimizes news in favor of analysis calculated to speak to the political leanings of their customer base.
That's at least partially a function of people closing down and dropping the level of political conversation to schoolyard insults and diliberately standing by the wrong positions. At some point, it became more dishonorable to abandon a obviously wrong position than it was to stick with it in American Politics.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: December 03, 2017, 09:24:02 pm »

That's at least partially a function of people closing down and dropping the level of political conversation to schoolyard insults and diliberately standing by the wrong positions. At some point, it became more dishonorable to abandon a obviously wrong position than it was to stick with it in American Politics.

What with that point being roughly coincident with the development of symbolic language in protohumans, I'm not sure "in American Politics" is entirely apt.
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 3514