Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582287 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15195 on: December 04, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »

I just assumed it was intentional...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Semate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15196 on: December 04, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »

So basically: we need to stop putting so many people in prison, we need to stop committing human rights violations, we need to improve our police departments, and we need to end the war on drugs.  The only one that's seriously being worked on right now is the last one; pretty much everyone in the legal system agrees on that point except Jeff Sessions.

Fundamental to the problem of prison reform is the question of what we want prisons to do. You could, for example, argue that prisons need to be unpleasant enough to an outside observer to discourage people from committing crimes for fear of incarceration. There are also a small fraction of people who should not be free by virtue of being a danger to themselves and others and a fraction of them are beyond our ability to help, and there needs to be a place to contain them for everyone's safety -- and those places are prisons, whatever else they may be. Then there are the people who need and can benefit from rehabilitative efforts within our ability to render, and that requires an institution capable of doing so.

The great tragedy is that we demand one set of facilities serve all three roles, often in mutually exclusive ways, so our jails and prisons are ineffective deterrents, terrible insane asylums, and hugely imperfect centers for reeducation and rehabilitation. Since a lot of the problems with prisons are a consequence of the inmate pool as well as the conditions, properly triaging incoming people would help a lot, especially since it would allow for more precise encouragement of the outcomes we want to incentivize.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Semate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15197 on: December 04, 2017, 05:24:56 pm »

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Basically:  You cant just dump your armed forces off on the citizenry, you have to provision them properly. In peacetime, that means you have to own up to keeping an active military yourself, stupid aristocrats.  In war time, the only support you can demand of this type is what actually has laws on the books to govern such support. Anything not explicitly mentioned in that law is not required, and should not be expected.

It was a serious problem for the ruling elite to raise up big standing armies to go "raw raw, our penis is the biggest!" to each other with (see for instance, some of the bullshit from NK) while failing to adequately feed, clothe, house, or otherwise see to the needs of that army. Instead, the citizenry was EXPECTED to make up for that shortcoming, because they were subjects of the crown, and thus essentially the king's property (and if he wills that you quarter half a battalion in your basement, then by jingo make it so!) All too often, this led to serious misconduct from said standing armies, because they could demand anything, and the people had no grounds to refuse. (this included such nasty things as rape.)

This little thing is kinda a big deal.  Imagine if Uncy Sam decided "Hey, you know that multi-trillion dollar war machine we shovel money into each year? Yeah-- let's force ordinary Americans to warehouse, feed, clothe, and otherwise pay for everything straight up, or they can go to jail. In fact, let's couple that with that fancy civil forfeiture stuff we like so much. Yeah, that's awesome-- GO US for saving the government money!"

Because as absurd as that sounds, there would be SOMEBODY who thinks that would be a swell idea.

Swedish History Trivia of the Day: In Sweden this practice was outlawed in 1280 by King Magnus "Barn-Lock".
Love, scriver~

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15199 on: December 04, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »

Is there an ongoing list of Trumpscuses yet?

It was just locker room banter. Also, that wasn't even really my voice.
Hilary did it first.
My lawyer made me say that.
It doesn't matter that the videos were fake, because they were based on real threats.
I am above the law!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15200 on: December 04, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »

You forgot all the variants of 'Obama did it.'

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15201 on: December 04, 2017, 06:41:16 pm »

Respect your President's authority.

Trump's a smart guy, he's doing it on purpose.

You just don't get it because you're [inherent value].

Don't you get that he just does that because people like you get so angry about it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15202 on: December 04, 2017, 06:46:08 pm »

Don't forget
I didn't say that
I always say that

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15203 on: December 04, 2017, 07:11:40 pm »

Don't forget
I didn't say that
I always say that

Best answer
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15205 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »

Well, there's the new (and probably enduring) Trumpscuse:

"When the President does it, it's not illegal."

That one will stick around in various forms for a while, I think. It's clear from Lewandowski's book that Trump is deeply insecure about literally everything about himself; he likes surrounding himself with Harvard graduates so he can boss around people smarter than him, for example, and "prove" he's better "at life" than they are. The same compulsion drives him to surround himself with generals.

Dowd's latest piece of legal nuttery plays right into that drive to brag about how special he is. After all, other people may be richer or smarter or better-looking than him (and that last one matters to a disgusting degree with him), but no one is Presidenter than him -- and I have no doubt he will eventually degrade into putting it that way, because he's unraveling fast.

"Hillary did it too" may fade, "locker room talk" may ring even more hollow than it does now, and even the great "witch hunt" may one day fall out of favor, but "I am the President and can therefore do nothing wrong" will be on his Twitter feed for the rest of this administration and beyond.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15206 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:50 pm »

That one will stick around in various forms for a while, I think. It's clear from Lewandowski's book that Trump is deeply insecure about literally everything about himself; he likes surrounding himself with Harvard graduates so he can boss around people smarter than him, for example, and "prove" he's better "at life" than they are. The same compulsion drives him to surround himself with generals.

Dowd's latest piece of legal nuttery plays right into that drive to brag about how special he is. After all, other people may be richer or smarter or better-looking than him (and that last one matters to a disgusting degree with him), but no one is Presidenter than him -- and I have no doubt he will eventually degrade into putting it that way, because he's unraveling fast.

"Hillary did it too" may fade, "locker room talk" may ring even more hollow than it does now, and even the great "witch hunt" may one day fall out of favor, but "I am the President and can therefore do nothing wrong" will be on his Twitter feed for the rest of this administration and beyond.
I wonder how this will go down in the history books. Probably not well knowing how much historians love ripping into people. Also there's the possibility of a Stalin like denunciation after he's gone.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15207 on: December 04, 2017, 09:55:22 pm »

I wonder how this will go down in the history books. Probably not well knowing how much historians love ripping into people. Also there's the possibility of a Stalin like denunciation after he's gone.

Wasn't that used by Nixon?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15208 on: December 04, 2017, 11:27:37 pm »

Not during his Administration. The Frost/Nixon tapes. "When the President does it, that means, that it is not illegal."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15209 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:18 pm »

Well, look how well that turned out.

Then again, the RNC has resumed funding Roy Moore's campaign, so perhaps it will; the Republicans have apparently decided that they've crossed the political Rubicon.

Oh, and apparently a normal dinner for Trump is two Big Macs, two Filet-O-Fish sandwiches, and a chocolate milkshake, so saith Lewandowski.
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 3513