Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3581934 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15510 on: December 11, 2017, 05:25:25 pm »

No Christian really wants to call out another Christian.
As the resident Catholic I'd like to chime in here and say that Luther was an antisemitic, bigoted, kill-the-poor thunderstorm-fearing yellowbelly, while Henry VIII. was a horny bastard who should've been given the Louis XVI. treatment. And don't even get me started on Mormons.
As the Orthodox Serb I'd like to gently remind you that the schism of your church was an inevitable result of its flaws, and if not Martin Luther it'd be someone else.

If you disagree I'm sure we can have a civilized discussion about it after a rousing round of accordion music.
But Mormons have magic underwear! No other sect has magic underwear!
...Alright I'll bite: Magic underwear?
And I get it. No Christian really wants to call out another Christian. But tbh Christians are the only one with a prayer (waggles eyebrows) of being listened to. Your garden variety CR Christian doesn't respect the opinions of agnostics or atheists. We're "not on their level." We can criticize all day and call out their blatant theological or ethical inconsistencies, but at the end of the day I feel like we will be ignored because we aren't saved. And therefore our opinion in their eyes are worth much, much less. The simple fact they can fall back on "faith" as a reason why what they do and say is right pretty much destroys any chance for debate, because how do you honestly argue with faith? "I don't know what's true but I know what I believe and that's as far as I need to go."
I think we've forgotten the sheer irrelevance of atheists, atheism, and consideration for the opinions of atheists that existed in western society up until, at the earliest, a few centuries ago. Atheism was, at most, impiety. And it sure wasn't like Christians avoided criticizing each other before that point. If anything, I'd say that the rise of Atheism as an oppositional force and potentially existential threat has done more to push radically different Christian sects together than anything else.

Also, something that would be interesting would be comparison and analysis of religious vs atheist bigotry against Jews and/or Muslims. The religious prejudice has an obvious genesis, but it's not immediately clear to me that, as an example, that atheists and agnostics, despite having no reason to care about conspiracies of "Christ-killers" even if they believed that to begin with, are necessarily much more tolerant of Jews. (The great Jew-haters, the Nazis, were far more interested in race than religion anyway). It sure seems to me as if at least some part of bigotry made the leap from religious to secular with remarkable gracefulness.

Really should shift that tangent to the religion thread guys....

So, for those of you still looking towards Alabama, here's a good exploration into why all the polls are so crazy.

Yeah, the polls have been all over the place, this morning there was a Fox poll saying that Jones is 10 points ahead of Moore at 50 to 40, with a margin of error of 3. We'll have to see how much of an effect write in and alternate candidates have.
I can already see the articles being drafted right now, saying how whatever the result will be was inevitable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15511 on: December 11, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »

Somehow I guess that being atheist or agnostic does not stop someone from shouting a religious slur when their buttons have been pushed. See: average people who say they aren't racist still shouting the N word when they decide to throw the vilest insult possible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: December 11, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »

Re: Magic Underwear

Behold, the Temple Garment.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15513 on: December 11, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »

Somehow I guess that being atheist or agnostic does not stop someone from shouting a religious slur when their buttons have been pushed. See: average people who say they aren't racist still shouting the N word when they decide to throw the vilest insult possible.

Nazi? (ducks)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: December 11, 2017, 05:43:59 pm »

So hey, was all of Trump's travel ban upheld? I was told that it was only certain parts of the original ban.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: December 11, 2017, 05:48:36 pm »

That is not what I am taking away from the actual order.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/120417zr_4gd5.pdf

It looks like the request for injunction against the travel ban was denied, pending appeals court processes, which the SCOTUS urges great expediency in the completion thereof.

The order does not impose any injunction or alteration on the ban.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15516 on: December 11, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »

Last I heard it was still dicking around somewhat reigned in waiting for the SC to get back to them on the question. Might have missed that happening, though. Kinda' depends on what you're calling original. The first two or three were somewhat dunked on, and what the SCOTUS folks are procrastinating on is a fair bit more restrained, iirc.
Or even when not. You'd kinda' expect 'em to be throwing out religious slurs as much or more than conflicting religious groups do. A* folks generally have at least as much reason for animus towards non-christian religious groups as christians do, since the incidence of groups not hostile towards atheists or agnostics isn't exactly staggeringly different.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »

Or even when not. You'd kinda' expect 'em to be throwing out religious slurs as much or more than conflicting religious groups do. A* folks generally have at least as much reason for animus towards non-christian religious groups as christians do, since the incidence of groups not hostile towards atheists or agnostics isn't exactly staggeringly different.
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand this line. That's not sarcasm or anything, I reread it intending to formulate a response before realizing I didn't actually understand it. Can you rephrase more clearly?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: December 11, 2017, 07:21:10 pm »

I think it is the misuse of the word "animus".  I think he meant "animosity", and an autocorrecting browser "fixed" it for him.

Indeed, the sentence makes no sense at all with the word animus used that way. (Unless of course, the agnostics and atheists have learned the secret of abiogenesis, and the religious types are actually nonliving, and are in DIRE NEED of being brought to life!)

*edit

On further investigation, apparently "animus" also can mean "hostility" ??  How odd.  I have always seen it used as the "male principle of the soul" (counterpart of the Anima, the female principle)

In that light, the transliteration would be:

A* folks have just as much reason to feel hostility toward non-christian groups as christians do, since there are just as many groups that hold them (both together) in contempt.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:28:36 pm by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15519 on: December 11, 2017, 07:49:18 pm »

"animus" can also mean "hostility", though.  Yeah I'd sooner use it to describe a golem's motivation, but that's an unrelated "animus".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05:34 pm »

I love that A* terminology, by the way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »

I never found the same sort of hostility from people who believe in a religious concept as I have from people who believe you are required to hold beliefs to operate, though I've had far more discussions with the religious than the... er... true believers, the former were less hostile in total than any single one of the latter have been.

I'm far enough away to feel less disgusted than just a sort of amused anticipation at people saying they'd rather a pervy old lech get in office and possibly hit on their jailbait daughter than a filthy democrat take the seat, as I hope this winds up getting smeared all over the rest of the party.

Sadly we're talking about a party with a pervy molester in charge so I don't see any outcome until demographics finally end up properly minimalizing the influence of old white fuckboys like them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15522 on: December 12, 2017, 02:35:22 am »

As the resident Catholic I'd like to chime in here and say that Luther was an antisemitic, bigoted, kill-the-poor thunderstorm-fearing yellowbelly, while Henry VIII. was a horny bastard who should've been given the Louis XVI. treatment. And don't even get me started on Mormons.

Throwing stones in glass houses, Helgoland...
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: December 12, 2017, 02:39:46 am »

Throwing stones in glass houses, Helgoland...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: December 12, 2017, 02:44:31 am »

I can't believe Helgo was a Secret Mormon all along. To think, he was just using the Postmodern Crypto-Catholicism as a cover to get past the Antikultisches Abweichungsgesetz, and we all believed him as he peddled his esoteric underwear for years.

At least now he'll be sent to the Weaver Prison beneath Rome, where he belongs. May the ten thousand years never be broken.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 3513