Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596417 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15615 on: December 13, 2017, 04:37:30 pm »

No, it definitely matters. Right now Luther Strange is holding Sessions' seat, and will continue to do so with voting rights until Jones is sworn in. Strange, while not a pedophilic rapist slavery apologist, is still a Republican. As such, the Senate is currently 52-48 in favor of the Republicans. This leaves room for three dissenters, as Mike Pence will tiebreak in favor of the Republicans at 50-50 unless he gets all backstabby all of a sudden, and I don't think a man who surrenders his fraternity's kegs to the police is all that into intrigue.

Once Jones is in place that will become 51-49, leaving room for only two dissenters. 

Presently, the likely Republican dissent is composed of two centrists (Collins and Murkowski), the far-right under Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, and the "Last Chance Caucus" (Corker, Flake, and McCain).

The tax bill specifically is more opposed by the centrists than anything else, though Rand Paul continues to whine about not literally disestablishing the IRS and repealing the Seventeenth Amendment and the current Senate bill contains the skinny repeal that McCain rejected. The senate including dissenters already passed this version of the bill, though that is not necessarily indicative of the dissent pattern since the main reason for passing it is to have a proposal for the House to negotiate with.

In my mind the tax bill's main opponent is currently time, not Jones getting seated. They are rushing through a piece of major and mostly unwritten legislation with the end of the session upcoming. Much like from your shitty cousins you never see, we might get a very terrible Christmas gift indeed, even worse than a well-written right-wing gift to the rich by way of being badly written.

God only knows what the doner class thinks of these proceedings. Obamacare repeal failure, Democratic sweep back in November, Jones winning, and now the tax bill is a shitshow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15616 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:15 pm »

Republican senators seem to dissent only at the last possible minute.

Still, the tax bill almost immediately got further than the repeal bill, and it contains the soft repeal.  That's got me personally a bit nervous.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15617 on: December 13, 2017, 04:55:03 pm »

I'd remind you that both the House and the Senate passed versions of the AHCA before the actual events regarding that got heated. It's important not to misidentify a "signal bill" as genuine legislation. The Tuesday Group ended up voting for a version of the AHCA they bitterly opposed...because that bill wasn't going to become law in any case.

Very few senators or representatives are going to be so utterly opposed to these proceedings that they'll vote down signal bills. That would be them saying they don't want healthcare changes or tax cuts at all, which pretty much all of them do. It's just that a lot of them want very different and incompatible things.

I'm not saying that the tax bill won't pass or that moderate Republicans aren't spineless cocksuckers for conservative Republicans on most days, but the fact is this effort has yet to display a path to victory, and Republicans are known for their fondness towards shooting themselves in the foot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15618 on: December 13, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »

I could make more jokes if Luther Strange had a phd in something.
Every time I see "Luther Strange" I think about The Strange Talents of Luther Strode, and I would totally vote for Strode.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: December 13, 2017, 06:35:06 pm »

I could make more jokes if Luther Strange had a phd in something.
Every time I see "Luther Strange" I think about The Strange Talents of Luther Strode, and I would totally vote for Strode.

I think of the Batman villain.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: December 13, 2017, 07:14:58 pm »

And lord knows the republicans path to 51 votes is smaller than ever.

Imagine that though: someone on this earth can go around right now and call themselves "The Democratic Senator from Alabama." Amazing.

QUICK-EDIT: Actually, it just occurred to me that the fears Republicans had that Steve Bannon would elect Democrats is, as of now, officially a reality. Bannon could get Roy Moore nominated, but he damn sure couldn't elect him.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:19:58 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: December 13, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »

Almost like they aren't genetically predisposed to atrocious villainy by logic of their state of residence, or something.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15622 on: December 13, 2017, 07:38:11 pm »

Almost like they aren't genetically predisposed to atrocious villainy by logic of their state of residence, or something.
That sounds like a reasonable statement, but it would require that I lay aside my prejudices against the state of the New Jersey, and I just can't accept that.

Anyway, demography sure can get overspoken of, and genetics/locations/race/color/creed doesn't dictate what you do in life; but we live in a democracy. And in any democracy where the democracy is more than purely for show, demography is the statistics of power. There's just no way around that fact, and if that means people get reduced to their "category" - Black Alabaman, affluent moderate white Republican - well that may just be something we have to live with.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: December 13, 2017, 07:47:06 pm »

Fun bit about the tax scam, actually, if it hadn't already been mentioned. Apparently parts of it are so terribly written it actually slaps some of the higher income folks with a 100 plus percent marginal rate on certain activities. Someone in the GOP managed to fuck up fucking everyone except their donors so badly they managed to write in one of the highest proposed tax rates in a good long while.
Wasn't that a book about a kid and a talking dragon romping about and having adventures? And there was some kind of evil possessed super wizard chasing them about in the first book? Because all of those things are verifiably awesome.
Militarized talking dragons (more overgrown lizardmen than dragon, mostly, but whatever, don't argue with the multi-ton 10ft+ tall lizards that are able to cheerfully gut you with a sword bigger than you are) that didn't do the fire breathing or flying so much as stabbing things with giant swords. Also their buddies, though the main human was at least late teens in the beginning, iirc... young adult or adult ish more than kid. Forget basically all of the details except the evil soda and the human MC screwing some kinda' monkeyperson chick in one of the later books, though. The one that had dragon vs. velociraptors as a major story arc. Been a long damn time since I read 'em, but I do indeed recall them being pretty awesome, or at least solid and rather not a tolkien riff.

Basil Broketail, heh. Though it seems they were spruced up for ebook formatting under a different name sometime more recently, after a quick check.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:51:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15624 on: December 13, 2017, 08:03:52 pm »

That sounds like a reasonable statement, but it would require that I lay aside my prejudices against the state of the New Jersey, and I just can't accept that.

HEY. We are genetically predisposed to deep-frying every single object on earth, edible or no, and that's IT.

For reals tho I laughed at this.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15625 on: December 13, 2017, 08:39:38 pm »

That's fair. As a Californian, I know that I am, genetically speaking, on fire.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15626 on: December 13, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »

So, uh, anybody miss the drama in the WH? Because there was apparently some (though unclear just how much drama) over Omarosa being fired.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/13/16773148/omarosa-trump-white-house-drama

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/364827-omarosa-tripped-white-house-alarms-report

And apparently Rep. Farenthold is a major asshole to guys as well. While the comment he made about the guys fiance was sexist, it's just pure assholery.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:37:11 am by smjjames »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15627 on: December 13, 2017, 11:19:46 pm »

^ Last link is broken. Think you meant this.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:22:23 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15628 on: December 14, 2017, 12:41:40 am »

Strange. I had copied it from my own post from another forum and something in the formatting must have screwed up in the proccess. The fixed one you gave is correct though.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:50:57 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15629 on: December 14, 2017, 06:20:21 am »

Strange. I had copied it from my own post from another forum and something in the formatting must have screwed up in the proccess. The fixed one you gave is correct though.
Looks to me that you pasted the first paste in as the 'url' to the later edit which the forum software then did the best to undebalance and "http-ise"
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 3515