Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3587650 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15631 on: December 14, 2017, 01:27:21 pm »

My response to the FCC vote.
fuck the FCC, not just with the no net neutrality bill, just in general, fuck 'em
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15634 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:02 pm »

My response to the FCC vote.

What’s the most recent news?

The FCC has decided that the internet is an information service, meaning that ISPs can charge you differently based on the services you use. They can also control connection speeds for different companies. As an "information service", they'll be regulated by the FTC, which only has the ability to make sure that ISPs tell you exactly how they're dicking you over.

Double-ninja'd. Neat.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: December 14, 2017, 02:23:59 pm »

And now we wait for very little to actually change as a result.
Apparently it kicks in around 60 days or so after today. At which point I expect to see pricing schemes change.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: December 14, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

Yeah, it's probably not going to make any difference at all. Very few ISPs anywhere have the sorts of special deals that they're talking about, even though Net Neutrality laws basically don't exist anywhere. It's a conceptual dystopia, but while they "could" do it, most of the scenarios don't actually make much good business sense. Walled gardens like Compuserve and AOL disappeared for a reason.

Selective throttling for a start would not be a good business model for most ISPs. e.g. for any sort of capped plan then if they throttle down e.g. "non-netflix" data then they're going to lose out on profits. And I'd seriously doubt that Netflix's business model would extend to paying for data for their customers: they want you to subscribe monthly, they don't necessarily want you to have unlimited data to hog their service. This doesn't in fact make a whole lot of sense for either the ISP or Netflix to want to do. If Netflix had adverts in their content, it might make some sense, but not for a subscription service: you ideally want people to all subscribe because it's the cool thing to have, but never actually use the service.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:47:16 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: December 14, 2017, 02:37:34 pm »

Of the people, by the people, for the people
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15640 on: December 14, 2017, 02:42:55 pm »

I'd advise against putting things past capitalist greed. There's endless quibbling and "technically"'s that can be employed to propagandize the public, like zero rating or legal definitions. If one ISP can do it they all can, and given the cartel nature of the business that's a severe risk.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15641 on: December 14, 2017, 02:47:30 pm »

Yeah, it's probably not going to make any difference at all. Very few ISPs anywhere have the sorts of special deals that they're talking about, even though Net Neutrality laws basically don't exist anywhere. It's a conceptual dystopia, but while they "could" do it, most of the scenarios don't actually make much good business sense. Walled gardens like Compuserve and AOL disappeared for a reason.

That assumes that you have a choice. Where I live, the internet market is essentially a duopoly, and one half of said duopoly is so terrible in most areas that it might as well not exist. This means that the remaining ISP (which is also a cable company, giving extra incentive to smacking streaming services) could very easily do whatever they want and nobody will switch. I don't expect them to, given how much effort they put into a good community relationship (it helps that it is a regional company rather than a national one), but they very easily could.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15642 on: December 14, 2017, 02:49:48 pm »

A reminder that net neutrality was put in place specifically because ISPs started engaging in those practices. And that today they are in an even better position to do so.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: December 14, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »

Yep. What isn't dangerous in a wild west environment full of small companies can be much more so when basically everything is controlled by a handful of telecomm giants conspiring in ways that ought to be spinning Teddy Roosevelt in his grave. Those rules existed solely because the ISPs had begun to engage in that sort of behavior.

Even Ronald fuckin' Reagan wasn't willing to let the telecomm companies work to turn that market into a monolithic coalition.

In local news, Dan Johnson offed himself after the story re: him sexually assaulting a 17 year old broke.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: December 14, 2017, 02:54:12 pm »

I think the main argument is like I added in an edit there.

If you're being charged for some amount of data per month, with overuse fees, they have no incentive to throttle anything because that loses money.

If Netflix paid for it's users to get "free data" from the ISP then consumers would start to exploit that to avoid going over data caps. So Netflix would have to cover the costs of their own data to you, plus extra, to make it worthwhile to the ISP. And Netflix in fact has little incentive for you to consume more shows. They get paid per month: you watching more shows costs them money. Basically, Netflix would have to pay the ISPs every time you watched any episode of a  show with "extra bandwidth" to make it worth the ISPs time to make a deal.

Alternatively, a service with advertising could benefit from getting more usage. However, the data usage in terms of how much the ISP charges you is far more than the value of advertising contained in that same data stream. Advertising revenue just isn't going to cover the extra data that this sort of plan would require.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:08:34 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 3514