Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3583852 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15720 on: December 15, 2017, 04:57:32 pm »

Man, I don't know what I'm going to do with DPRK thread if we get caught up in a genocidal nuclear war against North Korea.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Senate passes tax 'reform', now attempting to cross streams with House
« Reply #15721 on: December 15, 2017, 05:04:36 pm »

'genocidal', really MSH? lol. I seriously doubt that nukes will actually get used, and if there are any, they'd be the more tactical type dropped from planes because a missile launched at NK looks an awful lot like it would be headed towards Russia or China.

In any case, I guess the DPRK thread would become the general thread for Korean War Mk2 while the AmeriPol thread would continue to be used for, well, AmeriPol.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: December 15, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »

I mean, if the United States armed forces kill everybody in North Korea, even if that's by mechanism of immense explosive devices, that's still pretty genocidal regardless of intent or whatever else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15723 on: December 15, 2017, 06:18:50 pm »

Congress has released their tax conference report (article has a link to the whole 1000+ page document, if anybody is interested) and are ready to vote on it and pass it next week.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: December 15, 2017, 06:35:12 pm »

I mean, if the United States armed forces kill everybody in North Korea, even if that's by mechanism of immense explosive devices, that's still pretty genocidal regardless of intent or whatever else.

Away from computer for some time, just checking back, and if I only get one response for the next few days it will be to agree with this statement.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: December 15, 2017, 08:02:10 pm »

I don't know if they are necessarily legally different, but mobile had the precedent of phone and text being limited in use per month, so people really didn't complain when data was limited per month as well.
True.
They are literally ISPs, so one would hope they are under the same regulation.

It's not so much the limiting the data that's the problem. It'd be hard to tell the ISP's they couldn't limit the data somehow over wires either. It's the fact they can choose what data to limit or not limit that's the problem. Once again, treat them like a utility. Power and water have the ability to limit how much you use if you're using excessive amounts(to the point it affects other customers). They have the ability to charge more for more usage compared to a neighbor who doesn't use as much. But power and water, for the most part (local restrictions on things like sprinkler usage in times of drought excepted) aren't allowed to tell you you can use this power for tv but not for the blender. Or that water for the toilet, but not for cooking soup.

Cell phones zero rating certain data is a fair recent phenomena and was one of the first instances of court cases coming against ISPs. So we are certainly not "Used to it" yet. What they're trying to do, cell phone or wire, isn't anything compared to "limiting your minutes and texts"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15726 on: December 15, 2017, 08:06:13 pm »

In addition to previous banning of words like 'climate change' at the EPA, the CDC has now been commanded to censor words:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-gets-list-of-forbidden-words-fetus-transgender-diversity/2017/12/15/f503837a-e1cf-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html
Included on the list: Fetus. Transgender. Evidence-based. Vulnerable.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15727 on: December 15, 2017, 08:21:16 pm »

I mean, if you want somewhere to actually start regarding making US ISPs not shit, you could always start with local-loop unbundling. The net neutrality regulations set in place in 2015 weren't fixing the issues with ISPs. If you want to fix the problem, actually start trying to fix the problem.

I'd personally go so far as to just enforce the de-privatisation of all communication networks. Moving local last mile authority to county level organizations, state level organizations to provide intrastate backbone and a federal organization to make sure states are connected together and with international connections. I'd personally do the same with power and water too where it isn't already the case.

But obviously that ain't happening for multiple reasons. I mean, roads are the perfect precedent already in place of a network built on taxpayer money for the greater good of all. But some places even want to privatize those as well.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: December 15, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »

But obviously that ain't happening for multiple reasons. I mean, roads are the perfect precedent already in place of a network built on taxpayer money for the greater good of all. But some places even want to privatize those as well.
Man, you should see how bad the roads are where I live.

But the internet's comparatively fantastic.

Huh.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: December 15, 2017, 09:06:31 pm »

Huh.

That's your own fault for living in a libertarian hellscape where nobody dare increases a tax even another half cent or else they get voted out of office, because who needs government services. Obviously not us nutjobs who live out in the woods/swamps and bury our guns/gold in the back yard to keep the gubment from knowing about it. I bet the internet IS fantastic because the 3 other people you share your DSL service with are only ever on usenet or reading trump's twitter via breitbart.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: December 15, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »

Huh.

That's your own fault for living in a libertarian hellscape where nobody dare increases a tax even another half cent or else they get voted out of office, because who needs government services. Obviously not us nutjobs who live out in the woods/swamps and bury our guns/gold in the back yard to keep the gubment from knowing about it. I bet the internet IS fantastic because the 3 other people you share your DSL service with are only ever on usenet or reading trump's twitter via breitbart.

Lets not do personal attacks here, even thinly veiled ones. Though it seems sorta self-depreciatory, but still, the general tone is one of personal attack.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15731 on: December 15, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »

Oh, they increase the taxes all right.

It's just that the public employee unions prefer to keep the money rather than let anyone spend it on silly things like "roads". Of course, they can't let the public employees have that money either, in case they spend it on something other than the unions. And of course there are any number of other little places for money to disappear to lest any of it be misdirected to the actual public somehow. But I guess it's okay because, this being New York, most of them have a little (D) after their names, right? Surely can't mean any harm.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15732 on: December 15, 2017, 09:36:44 pm »

In addition to previous banning of words like 'climate change' at the EPA, the CDC has now been commanded to censor words:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-gets-list-of-forbidden-words-fetus-transgender-diversity/2017/12/15/f503837a-e1cf-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html
Included on the list: Fetus. Transgender. Evidence-based. Vulnerable.

That is absolutely frightening.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: December 15, 2017, 09:37:02 pm »

Oh, they increase the taxes all right.

It's just that the public employee unions prefer to keep the money rather than let anyone spend it on silly things like "roads". Of course, they can't let the public employees have that money either, in case they spend it on something other than the unions. And of course there are any number of other little places for money to disappear to lest any of it be misdirected to the actual public somehow. But I guess it's okay because, this being New York, most of them have a little (D) after their names, right? Surely can't mean any harm.

Got any proof of this instead of the typical right-wing corporation-fellating slander? I'm guessing no.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15734 on: December 15, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »

Got any proof of this instead of the typical right-wing corporation-fellating slander? I'm guessing no.
Uh, yeah, man, I can actually confirm this to be true because I've worked in the local government and know people who work in the local government and have seen how it operates and documentation of where the money goes. I'm also not right-wing at all either... top-level insult tho? Throwing around "fellating" like that really adds just the right amount of homophobia to make it sting, 10/10.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 3513