Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1126 1127 [1128] 1129 1130 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592426 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16905 on: February 06, 2018, 02:14:57 am »

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/trump-stock-market-fall-white-house-391976

The stock market bubble popped, now it's nothing to do with Trump.

The best way to respond to the story, aides decided, was to downplay it altogether: markets fluctuate, they said

Of course, we shouldn't forget that Obama inherited the Dow at 8000 in feb 2009, and left it as 21000 in feb 2017. Trump's seen it grow 3000 in 1 year, but that's almost the exact average yearly growth of the Dow in Obama's 8 years.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:25:24 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16906 on: February 06, 2018, 10:07:25 am »

The stock market bubble popped, now it's nothing to do with Trump:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Another minor news story, another map screw up: Trump's nuclear posture review paints Chinese flag on Taiwan, scant days after saying that South Korea is part of North Korea. Trump is looking more and more like a Manchurian Candidate.
http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/pentagons-geographical-errors-in-nuclear-report/news-story/bf3e836706affda5d7d7d4389fede899

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16907 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:31 am »

How the heck does one even make those map mistakes? lol....

I'd also say that the USA map has left out Hawaii and Alaska, which might be a pretty importaint distinction, heh.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16908 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:32 am »

I'd also say that the USA map has left out Hawaii and Alaska, which might be a pretty importaint distinction, heh.
(You ninjaed me. With fewer words.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16909 on: February 06, 2018, 10:39:57 am »

Casual reminder trump is old, and some idiots gave him enough power people have a good deal of trouble telling him he fucked up, or getting him to accept the "best" people around him did, or etc. Mistakes of that sort aren't the most unusual when your mind is deteriorating from age and poor health.

If things are going well there's folks around the elderly in question to help correct and whatnot and the older person is in good enough health/has good enough character to accept the aid, but particularly when there's a major power disparity involved between the person and those trying to help, or those trying to help need "help" in quotation marks, or the old blighter is in fact a massive fuckwit, well, you're no longer dealing with "going well".

Normally this means things like having to hide the car keys or rushing someone to the hospital because they overdosed on insulin or somethin', but normally doesn't involve executive power or access to launch commands :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16910 on: February 06, 2018, 10:44:12 am »

There's a saying in Polish concerning officials promoted in certain type of governments, which would translate to: 'incompetent, listless, but loyal'.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16911 on: February 06, 2018, 11:23:11 am »

Casual reminder trump is old, and some idiots gave him enough power people have a good deal of trouble telling him he fucked up, or getting him to accept the "best" people around him did, or etc. Mistakes of that sort aren't the most unusual when your mind is deteriorating from age and poor health.

If things are going well there's folks around the elderly in question to help correct and whatnot and the older person is in good enough health/has good enough character to accept the aid, but particularly when there's a major power disparity involved between the person and those trying to help, or those trying to help need "help" in quotation marks, or the old blighter is in fact a massive fuckwit, well, you're no longer dealing with "going well".

Normally this means things like having to hide the car keys or rushing someone to the hospital because they overdosed on insulin or somethin', but normally doesn't involve executive power or access to launch commands :-\

I mean its not like the donald makes those graphics himself
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16912 on: February 06, 2018, 11:27:20 am »

Sure, but long having claimed responsibility for the people doing so? Eeyup. See first sentence, starting at "getting him".
Ask not!
Ask!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #16913 on: February 06, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »

Do you want to live in the resulting dystopian chainocracy? I don't.

I for one welcome our marauding chain gang overlords.

Seriously though, I go to sleep and when I check BBC news this morning it's all "EVERYTHINGS ON FIRE!", "OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!" and "I BLAME THE ROBOTS" (with the odd "Keep calm, it's only the stock market." thrown in amongst them). I can't help but feel like I missed something whilst I was asleep xD
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:42:41 pm by MorleyDev »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16914 on: February 06, 2018, 04:46:23 pm »

Trump now saying he'd "love a government shutdown". If a company's CEO said "Hell yeah, I'd love to see us go out of business", wouldn't you fire that CEO?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16915 on: February 06, 2018, 04:49:20 pm »

But if you go out of buisness you don't have to pay taxes anymore.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16916 on: February 06, 2018, 04:51:32 pm »

Trump now saying he'd "love a government shutdown". If a company's CEO said "Hell yeah, I'd love to see us go out of business", wouldn't you fire that CEO?

didn't Trump build much of his wealth on bankrupting his own companies?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16917 on: February 06, 2018, 05:16:59 pm »

He inherited his wealth.  He did bankrupt at least two companies and considering that he ended up surprisingly wealthy.  Probably would have gone even better without bankruptcy however.

Edit: To be more specific, Trump's dad owned a lot of real estate in NYC (Manhattan, IIRC).  Some of that got passed on to his son, along with a huge fortune.  Manhattan property values have historically gone up a lot and show no sign of stopping.  So, pretty much a license to print money.  Trump's business ventures have largely *subtracted* from that fortune.  The one thing Trump is successful as is a celebrity.  He made money as the host of the Apprentice and merchandising that persona.  Also selling his name afterwards so people could put it on the side of their buildings.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:23:39 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16918 on: February 06, 2018, 06:49:31 pm »

Possibly out of a cannon, really. Depends on how serious the CEO is, how much attention the stockholders are paying, and how good the latter's connections with a local circus is. It's perhaps unsurprisingly difficult to find a cannon, never mind one built to fire people out of it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16919 on: February 06, 2018, 06:56:44 pm »

Also depends on how the stockbrokers make out.  If the voting stockholders get rich by plundering the company and abandoning its bankrupt husk, the cynic in me points out that there are a lot of stockholders who would be willing to take the money and run. 

EDIT: Ah, finally found the term for this that I was thinking of, since it's not an unknown phenomenon.  What folks are looking for in this analogy is a corporate raid: buy a large stake in a company and use your plurality or majority of the voting stocks to drive the company into the ground in the name of short-term profit.  If you do it right, you should buy off enough shareholders behind you to do it regardless of what the other shareholders think.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:11:44 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 1126 1127 [1128] 1129 1130 ... 3515