Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591176 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16935 on: February 07, 2018, 04:11:06 pm »

The US has done all kinds of shitty stuff diplomatically, what's new? Pretty sure every country in the world has done shitty stuff at some point in the past diplomatically speaking. It ain't pretty, but it's what it is.

The US has done plenty of shitty stuff, but Reelya's claim that the US gave Saddam permission to invade Kuwait is pretty much a conspiracy theory.

Even so, the idea that it's 100% within the realm of feasibility says something about the US's diplomatic tendencies.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16936 on: February 07, 2018, 04:13:15 pm »

... in any case, pelosi is apparently in the sixth hour, now. Trying to get the house to get off its ass and do something about DACA, I think? Any case, she's been going for a good long while. Decently impressive, it is.

E: Uh, huh. Apparently the news things are saying pelosi has now broken the house record for longest continuous speech. Completely unofficial bonus points, she's done it while wearing four inch heels.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:14:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16937 on: February 07, 2018, 05:42:16 pm »

"Longest house floor speech in at least 109 years."

Ya know, even if we increase military spending, I'll be happy to see our legislators MAKE AN ACTUAL BUDGET.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16938 on: February 07, 2018, 05:44:19 pm »

Ya know, even if we increase military spending, I'll be happy to see our legislators MAKE AN ACTUAL BUDGET.

Some say that if you gather a dozen chimps and give each a typewriter, you'll get a US budget faster than congress eventually.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16939 on: February 07, 2018, 05:46:40 pm »

Some say that if you gather a dozen chimps and give each a typewriter, you'll get a US budget faster than congress eventually.

We used to have a chimp, but his term ran out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:49:49 pm by JoshuaFH »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16940 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:41 pm »

This is probable, I say.

Edit: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/fbi-footnote-carter-page-warrant-390795

Heh.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:57:23 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16941 on: February 07, 2018, 07:14:08 pm »

On the one hand, it is a spectacle that is woefully uncommon in the West, which is a shame. Pomp and circumstance is always lovely.

Cannot relate to the sentiment.  Not in the slightest.  There is not the smallest particle in me that understands what the appeal is.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16942 on: February 07, 2018, 07:20:43 pm »

Eh, it's basically the same appeal as any sort of en masse choreography, just different props, though. If you can appreciate can can dancing or the multi-person parts cirque du soleil or somethin', you have a base understanding of pomp and circumstance.

E: Albeit proooobably a dislike of the themes tending to be involved with said props, ha.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:24:33 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16943 on: February 07, 2018, 07:22:43 pm »

On the one hand, it is a spectacle that is woefully uncommon in the West, which is a shame. Pomp and circumstance is always lovely.

Cannot relate to the sentiment.  Not in the slightest.  There is not the smallest particle in me that understands what the appeal is.

The pretty machines of war and destruction. The faces of the people in charge, as they metaphorically slap their military dick in the faces of other nations.

Something like that, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16944 on: February 07, 2018, 07:30:31 pm »

I think of appreciating choreography or displays of athleticism and skill as something different from pomp and circumstance.

I imagine pomp and circumstance as being about the display of importance, power, associated decorum, excessive formality, etc.  I cannot relate to any sense of appeal for those things. 

I have a fairly strong aversion to formality for its own sake in almost all cases.  Can only tolerate if there's some significant meaning or purpose behind it beyond its own sake, and it's not routinely enforced or expected -- things like marriage ceremonies or meditative rituals.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:34:05 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16945 on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:45 pm »

I remember watching one of those rifle inspections for the honor guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and I can't help but think that the people that tomb is for wouldn't actually be honored by the kind of ceremony that surrounds it. Like, is there any actual person who's values would have them want to be represented by the strict procedures of an institution?

With things like that, and now Trump's North Korean parade, I get a far more cynical suspicion: That it is intended to be above all else a public spectacle with an unspoken threat of violence behind it. Rolling tanks are not for how great we are, or for honoring members of the military, or even to threaten enemy states. It's to threaten and compel our own public.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16946 on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:09 pm »

Like, is there any actual person who's values would have them want to be represented by the strict procedures of an institution?
Yes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16947 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:33 pm »

Are we really debating the merits of Bread and Circuses?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16948 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:42 pm »

Only if one of the parade vehicles are throwing out candy.

Do they even do that from tanks and whatnot? Flying sweets are basically the only reason I've ever enjoyed watching a parade, and I've never been to a military themed one to know if they chuck the good stuff or not.
Ask not!
Ask!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16949 on: February 07, 2018, 09:27:33 pm »

I heard they fire from the main gun into the crowds, supplying both adults and children alike with Smarties flying with all the force of tank shell.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:55:41 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 1128 1129 [1130] 1131 1132 ... 3514