Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589825 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #16950 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:09 pm »

load the armor piercing fun-sized snickers
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16952 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:00 pm »

The US has done all kinds of shitty stuff diplomatically, what's new? Pretty sure every country in the world has done shitty stuff at some point in the past diplomatically speaking. It ain't pretty, but it's what it is.

The US has done plenty of shitty stuff, but Reelya's claim that the US gave Saddam permission to invade Kuwait is pretty much a conspiracy theory.
Don't want to cause a derail, but I have to disagree with your characterization. The argument has been put forth by Stephen Walt and John Mearshimer, two figures who are hardly Alex Jones types. And supported by diplomatic cables. Whether the intent was to "trick" Saddam into a casus belli or whether it was merely shitty communication is certainly up for debate. But the sending of mixed, ambiguous signals diplomatically is a matter of record.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16953 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:32 pm »

I don't think it's a terrible idea. The public doesn't really get to see much of what all the money our taxes going to the military gets us. I mean, we get Fleet Week (even if that isn't usually much to see) and the Air Force turns out to air shows and for other people's events sometimes, but that's pretty much it. Everyone loves seeing A-10s or F-16s doing their stadium flyover, or the Blue Angels' acrobatics, I reckon the army getting their own chance to show off shouldn't cause too much consternation.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16954 on: February 07, 2018, 10:54:27 pm »

If someone asks nicely (who of whom, I shall leave ambiguous), you could get a whole load of T-14s driving through Washington (DC or State or County Durham, I shall further leave ambiguous).

:P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:56:52 pm by Starver »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16955 on: February 07, 2018, 10:58:19 pm »

An airshow or fleet week is fine. The problem is that it's pretty obviously just meant to sate his ego, not honor the troops or anything.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16956 on: February 07, 2018, 11:02:30 pm »

I don't think it's a terrible idea. The public doesn't really get to see much of what all the money our taxes going to the military gets us. I mean, we get Fleet Week (even if that isn't usually much to see) and the Air Force turns out to air shows and for other people's events sometimes, but that's pretty much it. Everyone loves seeing A-10s or F-16s doing their stadium flyover, or the Blue Angels' acrobatics, I reckon the army getting their own chance to show off shouldn't cause too much consternation.

Just about every unit in the Army does family days and association days on a semi-regular basis
Even the avatars expire eventually.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16957 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:35 am »

I do think the whole parade is kind of fun on the whole. We don't have any Bastille Day sized marches like the French do, which is remarkably sad. That said, I would prefer if it was under any president but Trump. He deserves only rain on his parades.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16958 on: February 08, 2018, 11:49:45 am »

I mean... geoengineering parade, too? Could swear we've had (somewhat sketchy) tech for artificial/induced rain clouds for a while now. And if it happens to involve hazardous chemicals, well hell, let's make it a parade about our military's on the ground NBC response as well.

We can probably pull off military parades getting rained on with no one dying or suffering long term health effects, is what I'm saying, if we really want to. Dunno if it'd be the world's first militarized hazmat march, but it'd have to be one of the few. I could get behind a mad science survival parade going by the white house.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #16959 on: February 08, 2018, 01:00:23 pm »

If BBC News are going to put out a title like "Wall Street falls", I can't help but think it needs more Tanks and Glorious Communist Comrades.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16960 on: February 08, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/no-need-for-a-flu-shot-if-you-have-jesus-trump-s-evangelical-adviser-says

Amid one of the worst flu seasons on record in the US, one of US President Donald Trump's evangelical board advisers has claimed the flu can be avoided if you "inoculate yourself with the word of God".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16961 on: February 08, 2018, 01:23:57 pm »

We all know Trump has some awful advisors, when they aren't being outright malicious, but that's pretty scary.  I wonder if Pence supports electroshock for the flu.
If BBC News are going to put out a title like "Wall Street falls", I can't help but think it needs more Tanks and Glorious Communist Comrades.
Heh, that does sound pretty clickbaity.  But if Wall Street is down, surely it has fallen?  ;)

Unrelated:  Hey, know what Trump's image we need even more than military parades?  A fresh war on drugs!
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/02/07/584059938/trump-says-he-will-focus-on-opioid-law-enforcement-not-treatment
"People form blue ribbon committees. They do everything they can. And frankly, I have a different take on it. My take is you have to get really, really tough, really mean with the drug pushers and the drug dealers." - POTUS, bringing fresh insight on an old problem

Bonus at the end:  A bunch of cuts to things like the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.  Perhaps that money will be better spent on armed enforcement /s
(A lot of this was State of the Union stuff, sorry if it was discussed already)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16962 on: February 08, 2018, 01:54:47 pm »

... y'know. Just throwing it out there. But aren't the primary dealers behind the opioid problem actual doctors, pharma companies, etc.? Hell, the primary pushers are damn sure the pharmaceutical companies regularly running ads and pushing the drugs on docs and whatnot.

Strikes me as vaguely hilarious if that bit of bullshit is de facto saying "down with big pharma". I mean, shit, if it'd do the job of prescription medicine reform hell yes let's start stringing up the drug pushers and bringing the hammer down on the dealers. Kinda' figure racist mcseniletinpot (RSTP) doesn't quite realize who some of the major figures behind the opioid issue are, though.

E: Actually, it occurs to me that by way of investment RSTP probably has a decent amount of stock in some opioid producing companies, which means some extent of ownership and by extension responsibility. It's always a thing when the guy does what amounts to calling for himself to be locked up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:02:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16963 on: February 08, 2018, 02:10:29 pm »

There is a trafficking component. Illegally manufactured Fentanyl is one of the primary drivers of the increase in overdose deaths, and 80% of what they seize apparently links back to a single cartel. It's not just a prescription drug problem.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6643e1.htm

Preliminary estimates of U.S. drug overdose deaths exceeded 60,000 in 2016 and were partially driven by a fivefold increase in overdose deaths involving synthetic opioids (excluding methadone), from 3,105 in 2013 to approximately 20,000 in 2016 (1,2). Illicitly manufactured fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50–100 times more potent than morphine, is primarily responsible for this rapid increase
 Fentanyl was detected in at least half of opioid overdose deaths in seven of 10 states, and 57% of fentanyl-involved deaths also tested positive for other illicit drugs, such as heroin. Fentanyl analogs were present in >10% of opioid overdose deaths in four states, with carfentanil, furanylfentanyl, and acetylfentanyl identified most frequently. Expanded surveillance for opioid overdoses, including testing for fentanyl and fentanyl analogs, assists in tracking the rapidly changing illicit opioid market and informing innovative interventions designed to reduce opioid overdose deaths.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16964 on: February 08, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »

Didn't say it was just a prescription drug problem, heh. Just that they were (the) major components.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 ... 3514