Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1190 1191 [1192] 1193 1194 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588897 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #17865 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19:50 am »

The official standard is 16 in Minnesota. In Mississippi, while the standard legal age for marriage is 21, girls age 15 and boys age 17 can marry with parental consent alone, no judge needed.
In Missouri, both boys and girls can marry age 15 with parental consent alone. Under age 15 requires a judge's consent.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_marriage_in_the_United_States
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:40:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17866 on: March 07, 2018, 09:25:16 am »

Topically relevant, if not relevant to the thread topic, you'll have seen that France is to set their legal age of sexual consent at 15.

(Though you need to read the article to see where they are coming from (removing nuances) and then when one checks places like wikipedia (NPI!) one finds one probably doesn't comprehend something.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17867 on: March 07, 2018, 09:27:33 am »

The official standard is 16 in Minnesota.
No, the *absolute minimum possible* is 16 in Minnesota. The standard age is 18. You may be reading the chart wrong.
In Minnesota, both boys and girls can marry age 15 with parental consent alone. Under age 15 requires a judge's consent.
I also think you meant "Missouri" here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17868 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:02 am »

I also think you meant "Missouri" here.

oops, yes I did let me fix that

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:20:25 am by MorleyDev »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17870 on: March 07, 2018, 02:13:39 pm »

I really don't see a reason why marriage should ever be a thing for younger ages. It makes no sense. They are unable to properly understand the implications and there are no good social or societal benefits to such a marriage and its likely to end badly. It seems to be like a marry them off before they can get up to stuff kind of justification to me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17871 on: March 07, 2018, 02:17:19 pm »

I have known folks who got married with a large age gap and as a minor.

I know a couple where she was 17 and he was mid/late twenties. The parents signed off and ten years later they have like 4 kids and are ridiculously happy now. I don't really know what the motivating factor was (it was weird to me too, frankly), but they are now as standard/healthy a couple as you could imagine.

They are neither of them religious.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17872 on: March 07, 2018, 02:21:39 pm »

I really don't see a reason why marriage should ever be a thing for younger ages. It makes no sense. They are unable to properly understand the implications and there are no good social or societal benefits to such a marriage and its likely to end badly. It seems to be like a marry them off before they can get up to stuff kind of justification to me.

It can also be due to political reasons, as has been done among the nobility in the past. Though they're more like pre-arranged marriages and weren't always child marriages.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17873 on: March 07, 2018, 02:21:46 pm »

I know a couple where she was 17 and he was mid/late twenties. The parents signed off and ten years later they have like 4 kids and are ridiculously happy now. I don't really know what the motivating factor was (it was weird to me too, frankly), but they are now as standard/healthy a couple as you could imagine.

The problem is not with consensual, 17 year-old marriages. Those are mostly fine. The problem is with families sometimes pressuring their twelve or thirteen year old children into marriages they may not want, often with much older people.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17874 on: March 07, 2018, 05:25:15 pm »

I know a couple who married at 19 and 26, with their nearly-3yo child in attendance. The child was an accident, and may have set the initially more tenuous relationship in stone, but they're still together decades later.  I think sometimes things like this go on a lot, with varying details1, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The latter instances, and worse, are more noted and should definitely not be allowed to be too common. But I suppose you can't legislate uniformly, fairly and compassionately, without an element of precognition.

Religion played no part in any of this, but we're comparatively secular about many things around here.

1 My own parents had more than a decade of difference between them, but neither were so young at the time of their wedding, and there was just over a year of gap between their marriage and my arrival, so 'twasn't because of/despite me at least, back in days where it might have mattered more - even amongst the unreligious.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:27:59 pm by Starver »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17875 on: March 08, 2018, 03:16:23 am »

I know a couple who married at 19 and 26, with their nearly-3yo child in attendance. The child was an accident, and may have set the initially more tenuous relationship in stone, but they're still together decades later.  I think sometimes things like this go on a lot, with varying details1, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The latter instances, and worse, are more noted and should definitely not be allowed to be too common. But I suppose you can't legislate uniformly, fairly and compassionately, without an element of precognition.

Religion played no part in any of this, but we're comparatively secular about many things around here.

1 My own parents had more than a decade of difference between them, but neither were so young at the time of their wedding, and there was just over a year of gap between their marriage and my arrival, so 'twasn't because of/despite me at least, back in days where it might have mattered more - even amongst the unreligious.

I must say, the thought of a 23-years-old making a 16-years-old pregnant makes me feel uneasy. The difference of maturity is bound to create weird power dynamic within the couple.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17876 on: March 08, 2018, 03:25:03 am »

Florida raised it's minimum age for purchasing weapons to 21, and added a 3 day waiting period.

So you can't just walk into a store in FLorida anymore to buy a gun. You order it, and then you can come back again 3 days later to pick up your purchase.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17877 on: March 08, 2018, 04:20:54 am »

I still think three days is a little relaxed, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17878 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:27 am »

I must say, the thought of a 23-years-old making a 16-years-old pregnant makes me feel uneasy. The difference of maturity is bound to create weird power dynamic within the couple.
I didn't necessarily say that this happened this way round, I think, though I suppose I may have encouraged you to think that.

Also, knowing a little bit of the history of them both, and of other relqtions both had had along the way, I'll admit there were power dynamics (always are) but niaivity was a second fiddle to carelessness in both cases. If there was damage to be done, it was done already. And that's as far into the details as I care to go.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17879 on: March 08, 2018, 10:37:00 am »

Yeah, of course. I was expressing more general unease than targeted at their particular case since I don't know them anywya)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1190 1191 [1192] 1193 1194 ... 3514