Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588775 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18630 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:56 pm »

I'd been half wondering about that last bit. Seems kinda' questionable how much it'd help. During previous admins, or a less self-destructive one, sure, but tugging on bureaucratic levers kinda' requires the levers to be there and vaguely functional. Whereas unfilled posts and malfunction have been a consistent refrain for this administration.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18631 on: March 29, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »

I'm not sure, to be honest. From the description of the article, his skillset includes knowing when the take internal fights public and going around bureaucracy. While admittedly a lot of people are able to do that in this administration due to a general lack of harder rules, it doesn't mean his skillset isn't worthwhile/terrifying. After all, access to Trump = influence, and he might be better able to get that access.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18632 on: March 29, 2018, 02:29:29 pm »

Surprising to see such openness from an official like this. Usually, it takes weeks before they find their voice. I wonder if that means he was removed out of nowhere or if it was just the breaking point.

It wasn't random; there was at one point a plan to announce Shulkin's, McMasters', and Tillerson's departures simultaneously, which Trump ruined by tweet-firing Tillerson early. Shulkin knew he was going to be removed, but not when.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18633 on: March 29, 2018, 09:18:14 pm »

Not quite Ameripol, but tangential I s’pose: Cambridge Analytica stuff.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18634 on: March 30, 2018, 09:39:29 am »

Not quite Ameripol, but tangential I s’pose: Cambridge Analytica stuff.

The past few months have really confirmed that my decision to avoid Facebook was correct. I've been wavering on that lately because so much stuff goes through it, but nope, definitely not something I want in on.

ETA: On Bolton, I think unfortunately this is an administration that he could do real damage in.

He's being given a position with actual power were Bush gave him a diplomatic position without actual command. He knows how and when to fight dirty, which Trump will respond well to and which other members of this administration have been blindsided by. He's decent at personal politics, which means he'll probably be able to get Trump on his side.  He and Trump can find common ground in their violent outlook, which isn't something Trump gets from other members of the administration.

Even if Bolton can't stand Trump - he's a smart intellectual type and Trump is not - Bolton can use his position to start working towards his goals and influence people near Trump and possibly the security agencies. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Trump's associates find themselves rapidly outflanked when it comes to soft power in the executive branch. 

Of course, at this point I also wouldn't be surprised by much. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:53:24 am by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18635 on: March 30, 2018, 04:59:18 pm »

The Trump administration now wants people who apply for a US visum to diclose their social media usernames, and all e-mail adresses and telephone  numbers they have been using for the past five years.

The new rules apply only to the D-160 application form, so Western countries with white people, for now, are excluded from the new rule.

Heh, if this ever applies to Western countries as well, I guess I can never come visit the US. No one is going to believe that I DON'T HAVE A FUCKING FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. Nor Twatter, or Instakilo. Sorry, no mobile phone number either for the past 8 years.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18636 on: March 30, 2018, 05:23:24 pm »

Note that it's also still a proposal. I'm not sure if HomeSec has the latitude to just change it under executive powers (though I wouldn't be surprised), but if not it's gotta face Congress.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18637 on: March 30, 2018, 05:25:27 pm »

I DON'T HAVE A FUCKING FACEBUG ACCOUNT.

FTFY.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18638 on: March 31, 2018, 12:15:17 am »

My facebook is and remains inactive save for sporadic posts with sometimes years between them.

Of course, I'm an Amerifat, so I'm apparently the Ubermensch. Although I'm also a democrat, so maybe I'm just a race traitor.

What's insidious is that they'd probably deny entry to people not possessing facebook accounts, thus being able to put a blanket ban on those damn, dirty, educated but poor african immigrants... And Mexicans.

We may as well be putting up signs that say "YOU MUST SMELL WHITE TO PASS".
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18639 on: March 31, 2018, 01:19:41 am »

What's insidious is that they'd probably deny entry to people not possessing facebook accounts, thus being able to put a blanket ban on those damn, dirty, educated but poor african immigrants... And Mexicans.

Or the obvious security risk posed by people who encrypt their social media accounts using the infamous "Español" cipher, as yet unbroken by ICE.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18640 on: March 31, 2018, 06:29:46 am »

I think you are widely underestimating people's propensity to use social media.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18641 on: March 31, 2018, 10:24:38 am »

Both of those groups have facebook.

Also, I move to add kershuffle to the thread title since there has been yet more shuffling to date. This would make it "reshuffle shuffle kershuffle".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #18642 on: March 31, 2018, 07:32:37 pm »

Higgledy Diggledy Dump,
There once was a beast called The Trump,
With a face like a pumpkin,
And the brain of a Dumbkin,
His hands were just little stumps.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18643 on: March 31, 2018, 07:44:09 pm »

On a scale from 1 to Vogon, I rate that a 42
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18644 on: March 31, 2018, 08:34:35 pm »

Higgledy Diggledy Dump,
There once was a beast called The Trump,
With a face like a pumpkin,
And the brain of a Dumbkin,
His hands were just little stumps.
Amusingly I have third hand confirmation that he does in fact have tiny hands. Also that he is a moron.
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 3514