Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591232 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18750 on: April 04, 2018, 03:42:07 pm »

That's really fascinating... I mean, it'll be interesting to see if the tariffs last long enough to actually help out domestic industries, but the political effects are already very curious. I'm no fan of Trump, or the GOP in general, but if he manages to do some good in all his flailing... Hell, I'll take it.

But while I can agree with tariffs from a philosophical standpoint, the potential ramifications for this particular partnership are still somewhat troubling. Having China extracted from USA's very China-centric economy could have some far-reaching consequences.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18751 on: April 04, 2018, 06:50:19 pm »

AND IN MORE NEWS a town in Illinois has implemented a gun ban.

How do they plan to enforce this, anyway? My understanding is that there is no list or the like to know who already has one.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/deerfield/news/ct-dfr-deerfield-assault-weapon-ban-tl-0412-story.html
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18752 on: April 04, 2018, 08:36:00 pm »

Who cares? There's a reason all those novels have bumfuck USA towns as the settings for massive cults and whatever else: if it happened anywhere important, people would notice!
That's really fascinating... I mean, it'll be interesting to see if the tariffs last long enough to actually help out domestic industries,
Right now it's not even clear if they're going to happen. Wouldn't it be funny to find out that all this fretting was over nothing? And by "fretting", I of course refer to the recent market downturns.

Trump may be the first President to ever start a recession single-handedly. No more will President be blamed for things they don't control: Trump will actually be the first to with his own hands tank the economy, despite strong fundamentals. It'll be impressive, for sure.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18753 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:32 pm »

Yeah, who cares about the possibility of a definitive legal precedent on what constitutes an assault weapon coupled with a clear attempt to enforce a ban on said weapons within the bounds of an area that has access to a registry on gun ownership.

It's not important.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18754 on: April 04, 2018, 09:26:39 pm »

The statewide bans in several states are a more important factor there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18755 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:32 pm »

Who cares? There's a reason all those novels have bumfuck USA towns as the settings for massive cults and whatever else: if it happened anywhere important, people would notice!
That's really fascinating... I mean, it'll be interesting to see if the tariffs last long enough to actually help out domestic industries,
Right now it's not even clear if they're going to happen. Wouldn't it be funny to find out that all this fretting was over nothing? And by "fretting", I of course refer to the recent market downturns.

Trump may be the first President to ever start a recession single-handedly. No more will President be blamed for things they don't control: Trump will actually be the first to with his own hands tank the economy, despite strong fundamentals. It'll be impressive, for sure.

Arguably, Herbert Hoover comes pretty close to that distinction. While the direct cause of the stock market crash of 1929 would have predated Hoover, he didn't manage it very well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18756 on: April 04, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »

I know little of the current leadership in China beyond the rather alarming admiration Trump had for the dude over there declaring himself president for life...

Removal of term limits. Even if it's a one-party system, there is a difference. They still have presidential terms. e.g. if the USA removed term limits on the president would you say Trump declared himself "president for life"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/world/asia/china-xi-jinping-term-limit-explainer.html

Although if you read here, the presidency in China has almost no power - almost all of the power lies with the party secretary and head of the military - neither of which ever had term limits, and both of which Xi also holds. The removal of presidential term limits is therefore mostly ceremonial - it allows the person who already held all the power - Xi - to meet with foreign leaders as head of state.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:05:30 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18757 on: April 04, 2018, 10:02:43 pm »

I know little of the current leadership in China beyond the rather alarming admiration Trump had for the dude over there declaring himself president for life...

Removal of term limits. Even if it's a one-party system, there is a difference. They still have presidential terms.

Which is as much of a facade as a hollywood b-movie western set, same for Russia.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18758 on: April 04, 2018, 10:59:43 pm »

You'd have to actually find articles that really do cut the middle of the road and at the same time don't come off as biased towards one side or the other.

I'm not sure any truly middle of the road center not biased one way or the other articles or whatnot actually exist.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18759 on: April 04, 2018, 11:02:52 pm »

The problem with that, is that "Forced centrism" is not the same thing as "Objectively factual."

See for instance, the "debate" about climate change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18760 on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:13 pm »

How exactly would you have the algorithm figure out whether an article is 'middle of the road'? if it isn't going to do probability of liking it, then it has to use something.

The problem though is that there is barely any center anymore, it's there, so it's a sharp probabilistic peak than a bell curve, or a very, very, very, thin bell curve.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18761 on: April 04, 2018, 11:20:38 pm »

??

Examination of similarity to markov chain outputs trained on biased sources, concerning frequency of word choice and structure?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18762 on: April 04, 2018, 11:27:08 pm »

It is using probability of liking it. Just not maximizing at 100%
??

Examination of similarity to markov chain outputs trained on biased sources, concerning frequency of word choice and structure?

How would the algorithm tell what's biased and what isn't? Other than the coder of the algorithm, but the coder is going to apply their own biases whether they intend to or not.

Okay, I think I may have been a bit confusing. What I'm saying is that instead of Facebook only spitting articles at you that are, out of a selection of articles it could spit at you, maximally high in regards to the odds of you liking said article, it aims for, say, the closest to 75% or thereabouts. It also adds in a term regarding the odds of a random sample of Facebook's users liking that article.

And I suppose you can refresh that random sample to see where the percentage goes?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18763 on: April 04, 2018, 11:37:18 pm »

For "Biased sources", i mean taking a rather conservative and pragmatic approach to it.

For "Conservative bias", you could train it on Breitbart articles.
for "Liberal bias" you could train it on Salon articles.

There are patterns in thinking associated with these biases, which can be recognized in patterns of word use and structure, that would be captured by well-trained markov generators.

Frequency analysis of the article text against the frequency distributions of the training samples would give you a confidence interval for how "similar" the article is, stylistically, which would give you the proxy measure of potential bias.

The algo would then select articles that have below 75% confidence of being a match for both sets, suggesting the writer has avoided both types of rhetorical styles.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18764 on: April 04, 2018, 11:37:53 pm »

The statewide bans in several states are a more important factor there.
More importantly again, adjacent ones. Iirc some of the stricter continental states still have plenty of trouble due significantly to neighboring states that aren't as guns-go gung-ho.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 3514