Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3634176 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18810 on: April 06, 2018, 05:00:34 am »

Reelya s been using misleading data to make a point that the British were somehow extra super evil compared to the poor misunderstood mass murdering revolutionaries though, which isn’t really helping

His point was that the poor mass murdering revolutionaries weren't that mass murdering by the standard of the time, especially re: the guillotine and what one normally associate with the terror (Many more people were murdered in the Vendee and the province, but by and large those were peasants so people don't care).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18811 on: April 06, 2018, 05:10:15 am »

His claim was that the revolutionaries “only” killed half as many people as the British issued death sentences, but apparently he took a fifty year interval for the British and compared it to one year of the Reign of Terror then presented it as if that wasn’t a ludicrous comparison.

It’s like saying that because there have been about 25,000 murders in London since 1950, that it is 100 times more murderous than NYC since NYC had about 250 last year

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18813 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:05 pm »

There's a remarkable lack of condemnation for this, but maybe it's still on the way.

I mean, what are they going to do guarding the border with the military, shoot people when they step over the line?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18814 on: April 06, 2018, 02:26:24 pm »

Apparently, Donald Trump said that lots of Mexican Woman trying to illegally cross were being raped, as if it was a good thing.
Considering he once called Mexicans rapists, perhaps he thinks of it as a taste of their own medicine?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18815 on: April 06, 2018, 02:28:21 pm »

There's a remarkable lack of condemnation for this, but maybe it's still on the way.

I mean, what are they going to do guarding the border with the military, shoot people when they step over the line?
Has the National Guard really done much except help out in disaster area (California wildfires, Haiti) for years now?  I don't expect them to be much more violent than existing border security, if that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18816 on: April 06, 2018, 02:35:14 pm »

Wait, what? Is that a thing? Are there bands of bandits waiting for women to sneak over on foot? Do we have statistics on that? Is Donald Trump trying to deploy military to the Mexican border to stop immigrants from getting in because they are rapists and justify it by saying he's saving them from being raped?

I can't wrap my brain around this.

Has the National Guard really done much except help out in disaster area (California wildfires, Haiti) for years now?  I don't expect them to be much more violent than existing border security, if that.

That's a good reassuring point.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18817 on: April 06, 2018, 02:42:53 pm »

National guard units get sent to the border sometimes to support the regular patrol. Now it's to deal with large groups of people trying to use numbers to force their way through (although according to that article they seem to be losing their nerve for the most part,) or a few years ago when Obama sent them down to deal with the surge of unaccompanied minors that turned up around 2014. They also get sent overseas a lot to serve as reserve or rear-line troops in support of regular army elements, or lent to alphabet agencies.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18818 on: April 06, 2018, 02:45:06 pm »

It should be noted that they don't as far as I know actually apprehend border crossers. More of a scouting and surveillance deal.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18819 on: April 06, 2018, 02:45:29 pm »

So this is fairly routine then for illegal immigration control.

That's probably why noone but me is having a fit of the vapors.

Carry on.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18820 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:40 pm »

What's even more fun is that Mexico is stepping back on their border control until Trump backs down with his zealously xenophobic control.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18821 on: April 06, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »

You know what we aught to be doing? A full-on military invasion of Mexico.

Hear me out.

The civil government, according to Trump's trusted advisors (fox news,) has been completely surpassed by criminal gangs. That constitutes an act of war against an ally (Mexico, attacking Mexico). We should therefore follow our obligations as an ally and provide support and nation building.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18822 on: April 06, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »

Hey, if we annexed Mexico, we wouldn't have problems with illegal immigrants from Mexico since Mexico would now be part of the US.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18823 on: April 06, 2018, 03:31:38 pm »

I mean, Trump's main strategy for rivals involves just unilaterally declaring them criminals anyway.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18824 on: April 06, 2018, 03:32:30 pm »

Hey, if we annexed Mexico, we wouldn't have problems with illegal immigrants from Mexico since Mexico would now be part of the US.

But then who would pay for the wall?
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 3515