Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3577635 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18825 on: April 06, 2018, 03:35:54 pm »

The Mexican territories?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18826 on: April 06, 2018, 04:19:11 pm »

Guatemala and Belize, presumably, since we'd then need a border wall down there to keep the varied Central Americans out.  I guess we could keep on trucking until we've annexed everything and become the United Americas.  Then the oceans can serve as our border walls for free.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:13 pm »

Guatemala and Belize, presumably, since we'd then need a border wall down there to keep the varied Central Americans out.  I guess we could keep on trucking until we've annexed everything and become the United Americas.  Then the oceans can serve as our border walls for free.

Just make a slow march south until someone decides to build a wall to keep us out.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18828 on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:11 pm »

But does the Panama Canal count?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: April 06, 2018, 05:31:09 pm »

The choppy thing is vastly less expensive than the boiling thing, allowing one to kill many more people, creating overall more inhumanity.
I hate to go back to a derail, but this reminds me of Marat/Sade
But does the Panama Canal count?
No, but what about that swamp? There's some part of Central America which is impassable by road, and remains the only part of the great American Highway or whatever which is incomplete? That would be a marvelou border.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: April 06, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »

But Trump is committed to draining the swamp!

Can't use it as a permanent barrier once it's all drained out and dried up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: April 06, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »

Oceans wouldn't be a sustainable border obstacle. We'd need to construct perpetual Hurricane machines to patrol the oceans while we sleep. And of course, the rest of the world would fund them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18832 on: April 06, 2018, 05:55:53 pm »

How long before Trump simply decides that the rest of the entire universe is his enemy and seals himself permanently within Trump Tower, walling off the stairwells and elevator shafts and spending the rest of his life incoherently raving from the windows about the enemies besetting the rest of the world?

Or did he already do that inside his own mind?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18833 on: April 06, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »

Wait, what? Is that a thing? Are there bands of bandits waiting for women to sneak over on foot?

Yes. I believe they're commonly referred to as "coyotes".
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: April 06, 2018, 06:32:09 pm »

Wait, what? Is that a thing? Are there bands of bandits waiting for women to sneak over on foot?

Coyotes are the ones who get them across the border in the first place. Not sure if there's a specific name for people waiting to pick up and exploit illegals, other than "opportunist assholes"... But unless the term got redefined, a coyote is just someone who smuggles them across the border.

Oceans wouldn't be a sustainable border obstacle. We'd need to construct perpetual Hurricane machines to patrol the oceans while we sleep. And of course, the rest of the world would fund them.

Y'know, this is really an argument for having Trump take over the entire world... space programs would get massive boosts to funding and development as Earthgov races to find extraterrestrial life we can bill for our public projects.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18835 on: April 06, 2018, 06:34:31 pm »

Coyotes are the ones who get them across the border in the first place. Not sure if there's a specific name for people waiting to pick up and exploit illegals, other than "opportunist assholes"... But unless the term got redefined, a coyote is just someone who smuggles them across the border.

There may be some overlap, of course.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18836 on: April 06, 2018, 06:35:42 pm »

Yeah. The smugglers are also the ones who are raping them.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: April 06, 2018, 06:47:18 pm »

Seem to recall our border patrol folks getting in on that sort of thing, too. Might have just been less specific sorts of violence and whatnot, or simple murder or what have you. Been a bit since I last looked up stuff like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18838 on: April 06, 2018, 08:03:43 pm »

Yeah. The smugglers are also the ones who are raping them.

Seem to recall our border patrol folks getting in on that sort of thing, too. Might have just been less specific sorts of violence and whatnot, or simple murder or what have you. Been a bit since I last looked up stuff like that.

Yes they are called coyotes, you can find them waiting around at any border town. There are also various drag smugglers and the bandits who rob everyone. The normal migrants are the vast majority of people crossing the border however. coyotes, bandits and border patrol all rape and steal but that's on the individual level. Some are good some are bad. Bandits are basically always bad news. I have a great book on the subject its called " The land of open graves" its an anthropological study of southern border crossing. What people should really be concerned about in this whole "secure" border thing is that. One, it costs billions. Two, it is circumvented by people with determination and 26$ worth of stuff. Three, it feeds a whole industry both in America and in the south, both scummy. Four, about ~98% of people who attempt a crossing eventually get through. Five, It results in huge trauma for those that go through it. Six, people die constantly and horribly. Seven, the whole thing is basically one huge zone of exception where people are worthless and laws hardly matter.

I would like to highlight something, prevention through deterrence.
https://www.sapiens.org/culture/prevention-through-deterrence/

This is a policy of literally calculated evil. It is the deliberate funneling of people to their deaths and serious injury. We need to seriously reevaluate our whole approach to immigration. Its broken and awful at a fundamental level.

More information at:
http://undocumentedmigrationproject.com/
And seriously, read The land of open graves.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: April 07, 2018, 06:16:49 pm »

But if things were anywhere near that bad, why would anyone attempt it?

/sarcasm

:o
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 3512