Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590289 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18960 on: April 11, 2018, 08:39:56 pm »

Anyway, I edited my previous post but did they even confirm chemical weapons were used this time? I thought that was still under investigation.

They've got patients with cyanosis, mouth foaming and corneal burns, so it's extremely probable. That there was a bombardment is also known.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18961 on: April 11, 2018, 08:44:52 pm »

Anyway, I edited my previous post but did they even confirm chemical weapons were used this time? I thought that was still under investigation.

They've got patients with cyanosis, mouth foaming and corneal burns, so it's extremely probable. That there was a bombardment is also known.

Gotcha.

Didn't almost the entirety of the free world agree with his missile strike last time, and outright threaten serious military action if it happened again? He's a jackass for the tweeting, but the French almost beat him to the punch in threatening outright bombings if chemical attacks are proven.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18962 on: April 11, 2018, 08:52:18 pm »

Yes; it's mainly the lack of proof* that's holding back France and the UK, along with uncertainty about where exactly Assad's stockpiles are.

*meaning analysis of the specific agent employed

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18963 on: April 11, 2018, 09:09:01 pm »

I read it as a statement regarding the US's foreign policy, and by extension a reflection on the cultural perception of foreign affairs and, ultimately, domestic ones.

Ok, I can see how I might have misinterpreted if his "absolute conviction that you're the only intelligent person on the planet" as being directed at Trump.  If that's the case, I rescind everything.  But the "similar principle applies with moral certitude and the malice and corruption of others" still makes me think not.

Or if I've misinterpreted in some other way, I apologize.

And looking at the ninjas before I hit post, it looks like I was... halfway misinterpreting?  Regardless, I'm sorry if I overreacted.

You're literally saying that people can only disagree with politics so long as they don't take a moderate stance, and that a statement to the contrary amounts to a veiled, deliberate personal insult.

Yeah, that's how I felt when one time when I said something about how I disapproved of both major parties on something or other, someone replied "What's important is that you've found a way to feel like you're better than everyone on both sides."  Can't remember who it was.  It wasn't mainiac.  But you know what?  There's plenty of people out there who would match that assessment.  Political hipsters who gravitate towards something fringe where they can feel like they're part of an enlightened minority.  People who identify as alt-right conservatives without much informed conviction only because it's the convenient place from which to stroke their troll egos are a good current example of this.

I was taken aback, didn't know how to respond, let that comment and the whole coversation pass as I self-examined, and felt similarly restricted by the sentiment.  I've seen it repeated many times since, and grow increasingly motivated to push back because of the powerfully clever but substance-less shutdown it is.  I see it more and more as anti-establishment sentiment becomes more widespread, and where 15-20 years ago, arrogant political hipsters would have resided amongst the anti-establishment fringe, now they hide amongst the moderate minority.

And I don't think anything I said means that people can't take a moderate stance.  I even provided examples of how to go about validly approaching a discussion about these things.  But when somebody pulls the "Look at you feeling so superior to all the immoral and corrupt politicians and the idiots who elected them" act, I respond with "Look at you feeling so superior to everyone on the feeling-superior-through-proclaiming-disillusionment bandwagon.  I'd be more convinced of your superiority if you attempted to deconstruct the bandwagon, rather than just proclaiming it exists."

Quick Edit:
Salmon I'm sorry I'm not trying to attack you here I generally respect you and the things you say, but I think you've just misinterpreted what he said is all.

Good to know.  Hope the above clarifies my perspective a bit.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18964 on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:12 pm »

Also, Russia has apparently evacuated some port in Syria of their ships. :o

So they're concerned as well.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18965 on: April 12, 2018, 03:14:47 am »

Hey, y'know what would help right now? Kony 2012.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18966 on: April 12, 2018, 03:59:50 am »

I wonder if Putin is presently regretting his choice of puppet, as Trump's ability to respond impulsively to Syria is hampered by his present fixation on the Russia investigation. He's too preoccupied with the idea of firing Mueller to fire missiles instead, and his disinterest looks like restraint to the rest of the world.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18967 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:13 am »

I wonder if Putin is presently regretting his choice of puppet, as Trump's ability to respond impulsively to Syria is hampered by his present fixation on the Russia investigation. He's too preoccupied with the idea of firing Mueller to fire missiles instead, and his disinterest looks like restraint to the rest of the world.

I'm sure Trump's stance is a disappointment to Russia, but then there is no real sign he ever was an actual puppet.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18968 on: April 12, 2018, 04:31:34 am »

Honestly, I'm uncertain Russia has a stance or any logic going through the brain of it's leadership. It's actions continually alienate the western alliances, and at what gains? What is the point of any of this fucking brinkmanship?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18969 on: April 12, 2018, 04:39:08 am »

Honestly, I'm uncertain Russia has a stance or any logic going through the brain of it's leadership. It's actions continually alienate the western alliances, and at what gains? What is the point of any of this fucking brinkmanship?

They'll have a baller high score once everything is said and done.

And I feel like Trump is the kind of puppet where you forget to put the finger holes in and thus can't actually control it at all.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18970 on: April 12, 2018, 05:18:43 am »

The point is to keep in power in Russia.

Remember, everything Russia does on the global stage is for Russian consumption first and foremost.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18971 on: April 12, 2018, 06:05:19 am »

Ugh. You're right. It's like North Korea, only much bigger and significantly colder. 
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18972 on: April 12, 2018, 08:58:31 am »

How could Trump be a Russian puppet if he's already Tomahawked Russia's client state of Syria once and Putin need only pull a tape recorder out of his Boris Badenov trench coat, reveal whatever "deal" Trump made, shatter American foreign influence for a decade and turn America into Game of Thrones?

Russian Foreign Policy is easy to discern by watching Russia Today while standing on your head thinking, "How is this propaganda?"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18973 on: April 12, 2018, 09:23:19 am »

If he did that, he wouldn't have influence over the Oval Office.

If the puppeteer cuts the puppet's strings, the puppet crashes to the ground. But the puppeteer no longer controls the puppet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18974 on: April 12, 2018, 09:38:43 am »

Semi-related question: I'm writing a paper on Congressional legislative opposition to warfare, and I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a list of US military actions post-War-Powers Act on short notice. (ideally, a list of US military actions which Congress got involved in in some way, but a list of military actions would be good enough.) Can any of my fellow forumites point me to a source like that? Ideally an online source, but a book would be just as useful in the long-run. I'd accept a bigger list of US actions (like, for example, since WW2) as I can narrow it down myself if I want or need to: What's important is that it is relatively complete.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 3514