Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592377 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19155 on: April 20, 2018, 01:42:23 pm »

I'm not expecting it to be worth much in the end, except to serve as fuel for Trump's witch hunt fire.  It will be nice if it gets someone in trouble for lying under oath though, so that's a small possible silver lining.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19156 on: April 20, 2018, 01:47:16 pm »

Wasn't there an official investigation that concluded that you would have to be some kind of, how did they put it, Tom Clancy-esque conspiracy theorist to look at all the evidence and conclude that Trump colluded with Russia?

I mean go after WikiLeaks and Russia for sure, that evidence is right there. They're hurting their own cred with going after Trump specifically.
 Also, apparently there's concern that this could interfere with Mueller's investigation? Are they unconcerned about that? Got tired of waiting? I also am unsure what they hope to actually gain here.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19157 on: April 20, 2018, 01:49:28 pm »

The impression I got was that they're targeting his campaign overall more than him specifically, and to me it seems much more plausible that some campaign members were conspiring with Russia or other foreign agents than just Trump himself.

I'm still doubtful it'll go anywhere.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19158 on: April 20, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »

Wasn't there an official investigation that concluded that you would have to be some kind of, how did they put it, Tom Clancy-esque conspiracy theorist to look at all the evidence and conclude that Trump colluded with Russia?

No. The only official investigation is still ongoing. There have been several obviously partisan "There was no interference whatsoever. Stop crying because you lost." type "investigations", but nothing like what you are describing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19159 on: April 20, 2018, 02:00:50 pm »

The impression I got was that they're targeting his campaign overall more than him specifically, and to me it seems much more plausible that some campaign members were conspiring with Russia or other foreign agents than just Trump himself.

They're literally not filing against trump himself, yes. Like, explicitly. He's not specifically part of the lawsuit, at the moment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19160 on: April 20, 2018, 02:08:34 pm »

Oh good, well that's better.

I also would be less than surprised if it came up that members of his staff colluded directly. But I mean, there's no additional investigation here, right?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19161 on: April 20, 2018, 02:10:15 pm »

... I'm not sure what question you're trying to ask with that one, honestly.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19162 on: April 20, 2018, 02:14:00 pm »

There's already an investigation. Filing a lawsuit changes nothing, it's not like they are going to uncover anything that the current investigation will not. They can literally just sit there in court and say that they colluded not at all (truthfully or no), and if they don't get nailed by the present investigation then the DNC will look like they are on a witch hunt.

The only thing I can think of is if they actually have uncovered new evidence regarding certain campaign members and want to bring it up in court.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19163 on: April 20, 2018, 02:18:30 pm »

They may have more of a case than we know; it's possible that as part of their efforts against Grizzly Steppe, Crowdstrike set up something in the DNC or DCCC servers that, having presumably shown up in the Guccifer 2.0 leaks, would more definitively establish a timeline and flow of information. They had weeks to do so.

EDIT: Or maybe the AIVD told them things directly?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:22:45 pm by Trekkin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19164 on: April 20, 2018, 02:28:57 pm »

Only thing I can figure where they don't come out with a net loss of face is if they know something and are planning on calling on specific members.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19165 on: April 20, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »

There's already an investigation. Filing a lawsuit changes nothing, it's not like they are going to uncover anything that the current investigation will not. They can literally just sit there in court and say that they colluded not at all (truthfully or no), and if they don't get nailed by the present investigation then the DNC will look like they are on a witch hunt.

The only thing I can think of is if they actually have uncovered new evidence regarding certain campaign members and want to bring it up in court.
Filing a lawsuit does, in fact, change things, considering the special investigation hasn't filed the charges in question, though? And beyond that, that investigation isn't on behalf of the DNC nor even remotely obligated to seek damages for the organization in question. If they don't get nailed by the present investigation it's still entirely possible there's legal grounds for what the DNC is after. There's almost certainly overlap, but the DNC filing and whatever meuller's doing are going to be looking for somewhat different things as well as interpreting what's found through different lenses.

Though again, the folks charged can spew word vomit about collusion until the sun goes out and it'd mean jack all. They're not going to be considering charges of collusion because charges of collusion don't friggin' exist.

... beyond all that, it's possible they're filing the charges as what amounts to contingency, from what I've been noticing. Turtlebitch just recently nixed explicit protection for meuller's investigation and we're all aware of how stable trump isn't at this point. It's possible actors in the DNC are pulling this card out of worry the staggeringly corrupt fucks running this administration finally lose their already loosely held marbles and deep six the special investigation.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19166 on: April 20, 2018, 02:33:45 pm »

That would be quite the extreme situation. He'd come across as an outright tyrant instead of a tin-pot blowhard with an aversion to other people's rights like he is now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19167 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:51 pm »

God damn I wish there was a functional progressive party in American politics.

Go agitate against first-past-the-post voting, then. So long as the system tends toward a two-party equilibrium, the drive to centrism is too strong for progressivism to be tenable.

That's not what's happening, though. This move doesn't support centrism at all. It's only going to radicalize conservatives and make moderates think the Democrats are partisan. My problem with the action isn't that it's not progressive, it's that it's incompetent. Unless they have access to some truly abysmal news I don't -- something that suggests that the Mueller investigation is going to get shut down, for instance -- then it's falling into the same trap of not focusing on the issues.

Republicans are incredibly weak on issues. They aren't fiscally conservative; they aren't socially responsible; they aren't moral or ethical; and they oppose gay marriage, pot, single-payer healthcare, national parks, and diplomacy, which are some of the most popular concepts across the population. How the hell are the democrats not having a field day with this?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19168 on: April 20, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »

How the hell are the democrats not having a field day with this?

Because different segments of their base want very different kinds of field day, and somehow the vector sum of the forces acting upon them has accelerated them this way. EDIT: It even looks kind of like a workable compromise between marching in the streets for impeachment and doing nothing, if you don't look too hard at it.

Remember, politicians are point masses: they are small, dense, and do nothing without being forced.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:57:05 pm by Trekkin »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #19169 on: April 20, 2018, 05:05:24 pm »

At least... 4?  I haven't been counting, but I know at least 4, Trump associates have either been found guilty of, or signed a confession to, some kind of crime by Mueller.  Mueller has also been continuously seeking more and more info from Trump, for example looking into various aspects of his finances.  Mueller has already indicated that if he finds something outside his scope he will tip off another agency (for example the tip he gave on Michael Cohen, Trump's laywer that resulted in all of his files being seized in a morning raid by FBI); so the fact that he's gathering info on Trump means that he thinks that info is within the scope of his investigation.  Which is about, among other things, collusion.

This is ignoring all of the huge red flags have not yet resulted in overt legal action.  Donald Trump Jr's ridiculous emails where he said he was "enthusiastic" about colluding with Russia.  Trump during the election openly stating on live TV that if the Russians had "the emails", they should release them.  Trump claiming he doesn't know who Papadapolous (one of the middlemen between Russia and the Trump campaign, who got caught with pretty damning evidence and agreed to cooperate) despite him being a high up position in the campaign.  Then a picture comes out with, oops, Papadapolous in the same meeting with Trump.  Also that meeting between Donald Trump Jr and a Russian lawyer that's basically a legal kiss of death thanks to his emails?  That he claimed only he was there for?  The majority of Trump's higher ups in his campaign were there and "forgot" to mention it.  Also, there's that campaign staffer that got subpeoned for emails by Mueller and had a 6 hour long mental breakdown on live TV.  When he was asked by a (I think, CNN) anchor if he "thinks Trump actually did anything", his response was "...all I'm going to say is, I think Trump mayyyy have done something really bad.  And I think Mueller might get him for it."  Obviously not legally significant but, you know.  Doesn't look good from the outside.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 3515