Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590218 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19170 on: April 20, 2018, 05:15:24 pm »

Ooh, I remember drunk panic guy!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: April 20, 2018, 06:44:17 pm »

The impression I got was that they're targeting his campaign overall more than him specifically, and to me it seems much more plausible that some campaign members were conspiring with Russia or other foreign agents than just Trump himself.

I'm still doubtful it'll go anywhere.
At least... 4?  I haven't been counting, but I know at least 4, Trump associates have either been found guilty of, or signed a confession to, some kind of crime by Mueller.  Mueller has also been continuously seeking more and more info from Trump, for example looking into various aspects of his finances.  Mueller has already indicated that if he finds something outside his scope he will tip off another agency (for example the tip he gave on Michael Cohen, Trump's laywer that resulted in all of his files being seized in a morning raid by FBI); so the fact that he's gathering info on Trump means that he thinks that info is within the scope of his investigation.  Which is about, among other things, collusion.

This is ignoring all of the huge red flags have not yet resulted in overt legal action.  Donald Trump Jr's ridiculous emails where he said he was "enthusiastic" about colluding with Russia.  Trump during the election openly stating on live TV that if the Russians had "the emails", they should release them.  Trump claiming he doesn't know who Papadapolous (one of the middlemen between Russia and the Trump campaign, who got caught with pretty damning evidence and agreed to cooperate) despite him being a high up position in the campaign.  Then a picture comes out with, oops, Papadapolous in the same meeting with Trump.  Also that meeting between Donald Trump Jr and a Russian lawyer that's basically a legal kiss of death thanks to his emails?  That he claimed only he was there for?  The majority of Trump's higher ups in his campaign were there and "forgot" to mention it.

I think part of the reason why those huge red flags haven't resulted in overt legal action yet (other than what the DNC is doing) is because they're all under the umbrella of the Mueller investigation and anybody else (well, it'd be the Federal Government most likely that does the charges) that independently does legal action is going to rub against Muellers investigation.

Also, there's that campaign staffer that got subpeoned for emails by Mueller and had a 6 hour long mental breakdown on live TV.  When he was asked by a (I think, CNN) anchor if he "thinks Trump actually did anything", his response was "...all I'm going to say is, I think Trump mayyyy have done something really bad.  And I think Mueller might get him for it."  Obviously not legally significant but, you know.  Doesn't look good from the outside.

He hadn't actually talked to Mueller yet at that time I don't think, the only legal issue he would have had at that time is being in trouble with not going to the grand jury, which he wised up to and went.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:48:28 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19172 on: April 20, 2018, 09:44:48 pm »

So the democrat party has filed charges against the Trump campaign, Wikileaks, Russia, and members of the Trump family, for conspiracy.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/democratische-partij-klaagt-trump-campagne-wikileaks-en-rusland-aan-wegens-samenzwering~a4594711/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19173 on: April 20, 2018, 09:45:47 pm »

God damn I wish there was a functional progressive party in American politics.

Go agitate against first-past-the-post voting, then. So long as the system tends toward a two-party equilibrium, the drive to centrism is too strong for progressivism to be tenable.

That's not what's happening, though. This move doesn't support centrism at all. It's only going to radicalize conservatives and make moderates think the Democrats are partisan. My problem with the action isn't that it's not progressive, it's that it's incompetent. Unless they have access to some truly abysmal news I don't -- something that suggests that the Mueller investigation is going to get shut down, for instance -- then it's falling into the same trap of not focusing on the issues.

Republicans are incredibly weak on issues. They aren't fiscally conservative; they aren't socially responsible; they aren't moral or ethical; and they oppose gay marriage, pot, single-payer healthcare, national parks, and diplomacy, which are some of the most popular concepts across the population. How the hell are the democrats not having a field day with this?
I think it's because Democrats are doing that whole thing where "we lost something huge, therefore we need to spend time in the wilderness, mournfully staring at the moonlight wondering where it all went wrong, nipping at the heels of our betters, and fighting blood-duels with our former colleagues over the future of the party." But Republicans are doing the same damn thing, and they won!

I feel like its a testament to how much Trump's election was against the political winds. Republicans were set to take a long look in the mirror, Democrats were set to learn how to actually do shit again. (Note: all this is national: on the local level things are very different. If there is any good news from all of this, it'll be that Democrats took back a large number of states or at least contest them, forcing redistricting in 2020 to be more equal.)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19174 on: April 20, 2018, 09:59:52 pm »

Trump has scrapped the strict rules from the Obama administration about drones, and has put the US' most lethal remote guided weapon, the Reaper drone, up for sale on the international market. Anyone who is on friendly terms with the US can now buy Reaper drones, including those countries that don't mind human rights too much, which were excluded from buying US weaponry by an international agreement signed by 35 countries.

International human rights organisations have expressed great concern, as has the CIA.

I guess the good news is that if you don't like Trump, you can now buy drones to take him out :p
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19175 on: April 20, 2018, 10:05:53 pm »

Republicans are STILL set to take a long look in the mirror, it just got delayed.

Trump has scrapped the strict rules from the Obama administration about drones, and has put the US' most lethal remote guided weapon, the Reaper drone, up for sale on the international market. Anyone who is on friendly terms with the US can now buy Reaper drones, including those countries that don't mind human rights too much, which were excluded from buying US weaponry by an international agreement signed by 35 countries.

International human rights organisations have expressed great concern, as has the CIA.

It was, dare I say it.... Inevitable.

I'd agree though, it doesn't seem wise to sell one of our most powerful tools to anybody other than our explicit allies, not just 'anybody who is on friendly terms with us'. Older drones that we'd consider less efficient or advanced, sure, but not our top-of-the-line stuff.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19176 on: April 20, 2018, 10:58:05 pm »

I'd agree though, it doesn't seem wise to sell one of our most powerful tools to anybody other than our explicit allies, not just 'anybody who is on friendly terms with us'. Older drones that we'd consider less efficient or advanced, sure, but not our top-of-the-line stuff.

This tiny part of it is not as bad as it may appear, as the Reaper's successor, the Avenger, has already flown operationally. It's still a terrible idea in a hundred other ways though.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19177 on: April 21, 2018, 05:15:23 am »

Yeah. You can't just have one kind of Avenger. You need an armoured one, a strong one, an accurate one, one with a shield, one with a hammer, a female one...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:08:16 am by Starver »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19178 on: April 21, 2018, 05:27:11 am »

Yeah. You can't just have one kind of Avenger. You need an armoured one, a strong one, an accurate one, one with a shield, one with a hammer, a female one...

But you still only need one to fly to Mars and take the fight to the ethereals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: April 21, 2018, 05:33:20 am »

Interesting juxtaposition there.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: April 21, 2018, 05:36:35 am »

I guess the good news is that if you don't like Trump, you can now buy drones to take him out :p

Considering that these are semi-autonomous robots with onboard computers that get fed instructions from a ground based detatchment--- This also opens the doors to security researchers buying one for penetration testing.

If I had a few million sitting around, I sure as hell would buy one for that purpose.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19181 on: April 21, 2018, 09:54:53 am »

But you still only need one to fly to Mars and take the fight to the ethereals.

You. I like your thinking.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19182 on: April 21, 2018, 10:15:41 am »

Uh... you mean shield one, armor one, hammer one, green one, tiny one, I assume.
Interesting juxtaposition there.
Are you suggesting the CIA doesn't support the rights of people to uh... be treated inhumanely?

It's like flammable and inflammable, right?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19183 on: April 21, 2018, 10:16:41 am »

The CIA is concerned that people will use them against us.

The human rights groups are concerned people will use them.

Also, Obama sold em' too, and regularly. Who exactly is Trump selling them to? I guess the concern is that he's selling them to folks who aren't our allies?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:21:11 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19184 on: April 21, 2018, 10:35:48 am »

America has flying murder bots for sale, an arsenal of nuclear weapons, a whole slew of weapons that are too terrifyingly efficient to use (clusterbombs, chemical weapons, etc.) A tragically loud mouthed narcissist in charge, and an hegemonic collection of military bases all across the planet, enforcing "Peace" and "Freedom"tm on other countries against their will...

Oh my god, are we the bad guys? Shit.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 3514