Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1279 1280 [1281] 1282 1283 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593161 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19200 on: April 21, 2018, 10:07:29 pm »

Well, yes, other people are going to develop drones, but having ours for development aid is also a concern, I would say. I don't think weapons research departments would be opposed to some reverse engineering.

For the record, I oppose the sale, but just because I don't like the US being an international arms dealer.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19201 on: April 22, 2018, 12:07:08 am »

Well, yes, other people are going to develop drones, but having ours for development aid is also a concern, I would say. I don't think weapons research departments would be opposed to some reverse engineering.

For the record, I oppose the sale, but just because I don't like the US being an international arms dealer.

To be totally fair, drones are still more commonly used as sensor platforms than weapons platforms. Drone strikes just get more attention. The Reaper is also neither unique in its ability to carry weapons nor particularly good at it; manned aircraft can still carry more munitions faster and through more extreme maneuvers. Drones can just fly longer by swapping pilots mid-flight, and there's some question over how useful that is to a hypothetical non-state actor.

Also, other countries have developed drones every bit as capable, albeit for different roles. Radio-controlled aircraft are not some super-secret technology, and the US no longer enjoys an insuperable technological advantage. There's not much worth reverse-engineering, really; we tend to believe too easily our own hype about how we're the best at killing people when we're really just the biggest.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:10:27 am by Trekkin »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19202 on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:19 am »

we tend to believe too easily our own hype about how we're the best at killing people when we're really just the biggest.
There's something to be said for economies of scales, though. And as they say, Quantity has a quality all its own.

Granted, selling will not change that, but I'm on record as opposing the sale too; mostly because it'll make us look bad when the Saudis use it to blow up a kindergarten or something, or some ISIS fuck uses it to launch a terror attack. It's not about the weapons themselves, it's that the US name will then be associated with whatever they're used for.

If we're going to kill our reputation, I'd like it to be for some useful purpose, and not just to line someone's pockets.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19203 on: April 22, 2018, 12:34:49 am »

If we're going to kill our reputation, I'd like it to be for some useful purpose, and not just to line someone's pockets.

What do you mean, "kill our reputation"? We have a reputation for doing exactly this sort of thing; we're the biggest international arms dealer in the world. If you're worried about the Saudis, why start now, when we've already sold them billions upon billions of dollars of weaponry?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19204 on: April 22, 2018, 01:37:17 am »

Inb4 Putin buys a Reaper, sneakily fires it at his own troops from a general US-supported direction in Syria and blames US for attacking Russian troops with Reaper.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19205 on: April 22, 2018, 03:05:07 am »

Inb4 domestic Neo-Nazis try to do the same thing; they'd get to indulge their sad obsession with all things quasi-military and keep claiming they're persecuted by a shadowy conspiracy. 

I say "try to" because reading the instruction manual would involve taking off their ubiquitous wraparound sunglasses and they're far too Manly(tm) for that.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19206 on: April 22, 2018, 06:50:32 am »

Inb4 Putin buys a Reaper, sneakily fires it at his own troops from a general US-supported direction in Syria and blames US for attacking Russian troops with Reaper.

He'd probably misspell the lettering on something making it obviously a fake propaganda video.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19207 on: April 22, 2018, 02:31:59 pm »

Naked gunman shot up a waffle house today. 3 dead, 1 injured. Gunman is currently on the run.

I'm hearing that the FBI revoked the shooter's gun licence last week, took his guns away, and gave them to his father, who immediately turned around and gave the guns back to his son. The system at work.

Now the mayor is calling for gun reform. Too soon.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:34:10 pm by Folly »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19208 on: April 22, 2018, 02:41:43 pm »

But all the criminals will just buy illegal guns!!!!!!111
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19209 on: April 22, 2018, 04:35:58 pm »

So the Trump administration is apparently considering using the President's wartime powers to prop up coal and nuclear plants that would otherwise shut down because they are obsolete and uneconomical.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/04/white-house-reportedly-exploring-yet-another-wartime-rule-to-help-coal-nuclear/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:38:07 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19210 on: April 22, 2018, 04:41:37 pm »

No law of man is going to keep the doors of those coal plants open. At best, they'll be functionally shut down while pocketing tax dollars (salaried executives only, of course).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19211 on: April 22, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »

Anyone seen weather jews guy btw?

To be totally fair, drones are still more commonly used as sensor platforms than weapons platforms. Drone strikes just get more attention. The Reaper is also neither unique in its ability to carry weapons nor particularly good at it; manned aircraft can still carry more munitions faster and through more extreme maneuvers. Drones can just fly longer by swapping pilots mid-flight, and there's some question over how useful that is to a hypothetical non-state actor.

Also, other countries have developed drones every bit as capable, albeit for different roles. Radio-controlled aircraft are not some super-secret technology, and the US no longer enjoys an insuperable technological advantage. There's not much worth reverse-engineering, really; we tend to believe too easily our own hype about how we're the best at killing people when we're really just the biggest.
5th gen fighters are still awesome, and nukes means we still get the title of most dangerous police force in the world, sorry minneapolis PD.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:34:44 pm by Max™ »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19212 on: April 22, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »

5th gen fighters are still awesome, and nukes means we still get the title of most dangerous police force in the world, sorry minneapolis PD.
5th generation fighters are overkill. F/A-18 Hornets were easily able to take down the alien's fighters once they lost their shields.

however on the nuke front, I think local PDs could totally get some tac-nukes to round out their arsenals and to boost the nuclear industry. Baltimore PD could get some Davey Crocketts for example.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:42:02 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19214 on: April 22, 2018, 05:53:41 pm »

Both actually, previous page in each case xD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"