Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591136 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19215 on: April 22, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »

I wonder why he was naked. Did he drive there? So many questions.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19216 on: April 22, 2018, 07:53:50 pm »

Violence and murder is perfectly normal. But public nudity, that's unconscionable! I demand apparel reform!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19217 on: April 22, 2018, 07:57:35 pm »

Violence and murder is perfectly normal. But public nudity, that's unconscionable! I demand apparel reform!
That *is* an American sentiment, for some reason.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19218 on: April 22, 2018, 08:19:25 pm »

It's not guns that kill people. Nudists do.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19219 on: April 22, 2018, 09:20:43 pm »

And why a Waffle House of all places? I cant recall because I'm not one to keep up on stereotypes but Isn't Waffle House some groups stereotypical hangout? Did the man not like black people eating waffles or something?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19220 on: April 22, 2018, 09:32:52 pm »

I was in a waffle house with the missus once during a rush and she asked the server "what do you suggest?" and I think I know what set this chain in motion.

Edit: honest to fuck I just found out it was in Nashville and we were in Nashville when she did that...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:45:28 pm by Max™ »

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19221 on: April 22, 2018, 09:57:26 pm »

And why a Waffle House of all places? I cant recall because I'm not one to keep up on stereotypes but Isn't Waffle House some groups stereotypical hangout? Did the man not like black people eating waffles or something?

The Blacks do not, in fact, hang out in Waffle House.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19222 on: April 22, 2018, 10:03:26 pm »

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/988096004523147265/photo/1?tfw_site=NPR&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Fsections%2Fthetwo-way%2F2018%2F04%2F22%2F604748009%2Fnaked-gunman-kills-4-in-waffle-house-shooting
This guy seems to have been there and been the hero of the day. Unarmed black man saves Waffle House from naked crazed white supremacist. Now that would be a headline.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19223 on: April 22, 2018, 10:11:36 pm »

Waffle House is very heavily associated with low-income and homeless people, due to the restaurants being open 24/7 hours and being very cheap. It is questionable if this played any significant part in this incident.

In this case, the control systems worked - the potentially dangerous person was identified well before any real violence occurred and steps were taken to prevent that person from causing harm. The only wrinkle is that an irresponsible family member re-provided the confiscated firearms while the confiscation was still legally valid.

You want actual "common sense" action? Charge the father with accessory (the situation should more than amply justify this in a legal sense), and update legislation to fix this flaw. The Illinois FOID law is not an unreasonable restriction (with the sole caveat that the applications are not always processed in a timely manner), and expanding the system nationwide would probably be politically workable. Amending the confiscatory provisions to require any weapons confiscated remain in police custody until the confiscation is made permanent (in most such cases the guns should be sold at market value and the money given to the confiscatee or paid toward fines/fees/ordered compensation , as loss of property without compensation is generally on the iffy side) or deemed no longer necessary (in which case they would then be returned) would also probably meet relatively little opposition.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19224 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:19 am »

Waffle House is very heavily associated with low-income and homeless people, due to the restaurants being open 24/7 hours and being very cheap. It is questionable if this played any significant part in this incident.

In this case, the control systems worked - the potentially dangerous person was identified well before any real violence occurred and steps were taken to prevent that person from causing harm. The only wrinkle is that an irresponsible family member re-provided the confiscated firearms while the confiscation was still legally valid.

You want actual "common sense" action? Charge the father with accessory (the situation should more than amply justify this in a legal sense), and update legislation to fix this flaw. The Illinois FOID law is not an unreasonable restriction (with the sole caveat that the applications are not always processed in a timely manner), and expanding the system nationwide would probably be politically workable. Amending the confiscatory provisions to require any weapons confiscated remain in police custody until the confiscation is made permanent (in most such cases the guns should be sold at market value and the money given to the confiscatee or paid toward fines/fees/ordered compensation , as loss of property without compensation is generally on the iffy side) or deemed no longer necessary (in which case they would then be returned) would also probably meet relatively little opposition.

So, basically confiscate the guns from the father for being irresponsible?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19225 on: April 23, 2018, 01:27:31 am »

^ Sounds pants on head.  Probably, yes.

Realistically, whatever the law says happens to people aiding mass shooters.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19226 on: April 23, 2018, 02:11:14 am »

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/988096004523147265/photo/1?tfw_site=NPR&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Fsections%2Fthetwo-way%2F2018%2F04%2F22%2F604748009%2Fnaked-gunman-kills-4-in-waffle-house-shooting
This guy seems to have been there and been the hero of the day. Unarmed black man saves Waffle House from naked crazed white supremacist. Now that would be a headline.

Listening to the guy being interviewed, he's a dude.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/22/waffle-house-shooting-hero-stopped-shooter/540061002/

Not only was he at a Waffle House: him and a friend left another more crowded Waffle House to go to the other Waffle House. So, black guys liking Waffle House seems to be the silver lining on this story.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19227 on: April 23, 2018, 03:42:58 am »

Goddamn ethnics, they're copyrighting all the best foods!

And yeah, a waffle crawl at 3 am sounds like a pretty dude thing to do.

He also said that the only combat training he has is wrestling his daughter to bed

Pfft. Well, it was clearly enough to get the job done, so more power to 'im. Secret dad powers and all that.

And yes, the gunman's father definitely needs to face some consequences here. I'd argue that a person willing to supply weapons to someone declared unsound of mind is a person who also shouldn't be allowed to possess weapons. But that can maybe be a bit tricky to measure beforehand.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19228 on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:46 am »

I can only imagine a comedy bit where they're at their fifth waffle house, finally it's not crowded and then a naked dude comes in guns blazing.
"Goddammit I just wanted some fucking waffles" says the dude as he stands up, walks to the shooter and punches him out before returning to his meal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19229 on: April 23, 2018, 04:31:13 am »

I've not heard anything about this but, given his relative undress, I can imagine the father having either given him the gun back or not secured it but tried to ground the kid (for whatever it was for which the guns were originally confiscated) by taking his clothes away.

Several things wrong with that (especially if the gun, and the coat, were left easier to grab than some trousers) but may have been the driver in the kid's weird and mentally-ill priorities. Charitably, both home and authority figures may not having realised (or thought they had the power to do much more about) the true extent of the way it was ultimately heading.

There's also scope for idiotic or even criminal neglect to handle the situation, but there's surely not enough info to go full on trial-by-media right now, if the father's voice hasn't even been heard nor those of the respective law agencies. That said, if it was "*knocks on bedroom door* Here son, clean your rifle while I'm out, just stay in the house. Do you have anything you want taking to the laundrette while I'm going?", the facepalm emoji would be an understatement...
Pages: 1 ... 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 ... 3514