Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589383 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19815 on: May 14, 2018, 06:43:43 pm »

A reservist with a day job as a mechatronic engineer's death impacts Israel significantly more than the five thousand dollars a formerly-unemployed Palestinian martyr earns his family.

That could be a problematic viewpoint however. e.g. I'm in Australia and I could say a white Australian (Group A) with a good job is worth more than an unemployed black aboriginal person (Group B).

The parallel here is that group A occupied the territory of Group B and is a key reason why Group B continues to be impoverished. In Australia, if we have a black uprising we'd only have ourselves to blame, basically, and the fact that the black people have nothing to lose isn't their fault, it's ours.

Where Israel fundamentally went wrong is that they tried to construct an ethno-state. That never ends well no matter who you are.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:49:08 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19816 on: May 14, 2018, 06:47:40 pm »

A reservist with a day job as a mechatronic engineer's death impacts Israel significantly more than the five thousand dollars a formerly-unemployed Palestinian martyr earns his family.

That could be a problematic viewpoint however. e.g. I'm in Australia and I could say a white Australian (Group A) with a good job is worth more than an unemployed black aboriginal person (Group B).

The parallel here is that group A occupied the territory of Group B and is a key reason why Group B continues to be impoverished. In Australia, if we have a black uprising we'd only have ourselves to blame, basically, and the fact that the black people have nothing to lose isn't their fault, it's ours.

Naaaah, everyone knows that the Australian people take good care of the Abo's and their families!  ...whenever someone's watching...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19817 on: May 14, 2018, 06:58:17 pm »

The interesting thing is how much the Right Wing of Israel resemble the worst traits of the Republicans here. e.g. in Israel, the right wing of parliament has long wanted to cement Hebrew as the only official language, effectively banning the use of Arabic for most purposes.

e.g. Israeli-backers point out that Israel isn't as bad as South Africa was to blacks. But literally the only reason that it isn't is because Israel has some liberal / left-wingers in parliament who keep preventing the right-wing from passing the screwed-up racist laws that they keep proposing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19818 on: May 14, 2018, 07:04:42 pm »

I've seen some people suggesting Israel is even worse to the Palestinians than South Africa was to blacks, because even apartheid SA made a show of trying to create bantustans and reforms like the tricameral parliament in order to reach an outcome that included sovereignty, false though it was.

While Israel just continues to chip away at Palestine and grows in genocidal potential as time passes, moving further from any form of peace, even a token one.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19819 on: May 14, 2018, 07:32:24 pm »

Israel also shows itself with the marriage laws. e.g. an Israeli Arab citizen cannot legally co-habit with a Palestinian Arab spouse. This thus creates a barrier to Arab citizens bringing in a spouse. And in a law ratified as recently as 2016, Jews can be jailed for 2 years for not getting married by a state-certified rabbi. The clear intent of that is to ban Jewish/Arab weddings, e.g. there are laws to prevent Israel's Arab "citizens" from marrying Arabs from the Palestinian territories, or Jews from their own country. The goal here is to isolate and minimize the Israeli Arab population by preventing it from marrying people from outside its community.

Couple that with proposals to sponsor Arabs to emigrate, and longstanding policies sponsoring Jews to immigrate or bring a Jewish spouse in (something actively discouraged for Arabs). While also proposing laws to remove their language from official documents and contract tenders (thus making it harder for Arabs to get employment, and area where they already face rampant discrimination).

It's a type of ethnic cleansing, but the type you have when you know the cameras are rolling: implement a kafka-esque series of bureaucratic barriers to the sub-population from existing and getting along with their lives, all of which is exacerbated by the day to day prejudices they already face.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:58:53 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19820 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:17 pm »

Israel also shows itself with the marriage laws. e.g. an Israeli Arab citizen cannot legally co-habit with a Palestinian Arab spouse. This thus creates a barrier to Arab citizens bringing in a spouse. And in a law ratified as recently as 2016, Jews can be jailed for 2 years for not getting married by a state-certified rabbi. The clear intent of that is to ban Jewish/Arab weddings, e.g. there are laws to prevent Israel's Arab "citizens" from marrying Arabs from the Palestinian territories, or Jews from their own country. The goal here is to isolate and minimize the Israeli Arab population by preventing it from marrying people from outside its community.

Couple that with proposals to sponsor Arabs to emigrate, and longstanding policies sponsoring Jews to immigrate or bring a Jewish spouse in (something actively discouraged for Arabs). While also proposing laws to remove their language from official documents and contract tenders (thus making it harder for Arabs to get employment, and area where they already face rampant discrimination).

It's a type of ethnic cleansing, but the type you have when you know the cameras are rolling: implement a kafka-esque series of bureaucratic barriers to the sub-population from existing and getting along with their lives, all of which is exacerbated by the day to day prejudices they already face.
This kind of shit always ends badly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19821 on: May 14, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »

It's disenfranchisement, just to a degree we're not familiar with here in America. We've seen the same sort of thing attempted here when some states start intentionally fucking with voter registration in an attempt to stymie the black vote. A more subtle way of stripping away people's rights but the same general principle.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19822 on: May 15, 2018, 12:53:49 am »

They are throwing molotov cocktails at soldiers, lighting kites on fire and releasing them over the fence to try and start brush fires, and generally demonstrating which is the civilized side of the border.

Sure, the civilized side is the one with most gun, right? Israel pretty much live by:
"Whatever happens, we have got The Maxim gun, and they have not. "

I mean, it's pretty hilarious that you manage to convince yourself that the side that killed close to 100 since those protests began is the nice, civilized one and the side that killed zero and injured 1 are the only baddies.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19823 on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:46 am »

Israel is in fact the civilized side of the border. That much is true. How it came to be the 'civilized side of the border' is the problem.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19824 on: May 15, 2018, 01:00:38 am »

I mean, if you have a pet dog and every day you kick the dog, then one day the dog bites you, then you go "look, the dirty dog bit me, i was right to kick it all along". That's basically the story with many forms of oppression.

The British was saying the exact same things about the Irish for example, the Irish are nothing but filthy animals etc, look at how they bite back against their civilized British overlords. And the British would have kept repeating the story to this day that the "Irish are naturally violent" and that this justifies the continued British occupation, for their own good, to "civilize" them. Except in this case, we have a counter-example: the part of Ireland that broke away from Britain, the Republic of Ireland are a perfectly peaceful and quite prosperous nation.

And similarly, in the case of Palestine, we have plenty of other Arab nations which aren't heavy on violent crime, e.g. if you go to Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Qatar you're not going to see violence. But they're also not under the thumb of a hostile occupier. Hamas came about because of Israeli occupation of Palestine, Hezbollah came about because of when Israel invaded Lebanon. Note, that Hezbollah's base is in southern Lebanon, and surprise, surprise Israel captured southern Lebanon, and that was the trigger for Hezbollah to form.

~~~

EDIT: And before I forget, what about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising?
Marek Edelman, who was the only surviving uprising commander from the left-wing ŻOB, stated that the ŻOB had 220 fighters and each was armed with a handgun, grenades, and Molotov cocktails. ... Some weapons were handmade by the resistance; sometimes such weapons worked, other times they jammed repeatedly.
e.g. it's BS to say that just because the occupiers are the organized ones and the occupied people are violent and using molotov cocktails and makeshift weapons then they're the bad, uncivilized ones. It's just "might makes right": people in the occupier nation have the power and freedom to act civilized. e.g. you can bet the average German during WWII went about a fairly mundane "civilized" life completely divorced from the reality of what was going on in places like Warsaw. When you have all the power it's easy to act civilized. Both Warsaw and Gaza involve a power walling-in people because they're the wrong race.

e.g. the same argument could be made for rounding up and walling-in the poor people, then labeling them as "uncivilized", thus deserving of that treatment, when they inevitably revolt against being walled-in.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:07:57 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19825 on: May 15, 2018, 04:46:53 am »

"Whatever happens, we have got The Maxim gun, and they have not. "

Man, do Israelis still use the Maxim? That's some old tech, heh... I guess if it works, why get rid of it?

Marek Edelman, who was the only surviving uprising commander from the left-wing ŻOB, stated that the ŻOB had 220 fighters and each was armed with a handgun, grenades, and Molotov cocktails. ... Some weapons were handmade by the resistance; sometimes such weapons worked, other times they jammed repeatedly.

My head just tried to picture a Molotov... jamming.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19826 on: May 15, 2018, 04:48:59 am »

Maybe the alcohol is too dilluted and it results in just a warm booze bath and glass shards for the target.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19827 on: May 15, 2018, 04:59:06 am »

Now that I think about it, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising is eerily similar to the Gaza situation.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19828 on: May 15, 2018, 05:01:09 am »

Maybe the alcohol is too dilluted and it results in just a warm booze bath and glass shards for the target.
Exfoliating! Polish spa treatment.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19829 on: May 15, 2018, 05:03:11 am »

The uprising is just as much of a reaction on the walling in, as the walling in was a reaction to constant suicide attacks and threats towards Israel.
Before the walls and checkpoints, busses getting blown up and people getting their throats slit were an everyday fear for Israeli. Maybe you are too young to remember that, but I grew up with suicide attacks on Israel being a recurring item in the news.

The current clusterfuck is as much Israeli rightwing politic's fault as it is Hamas'.
Don't forget that it's Hamas who forcibly removed their fellow Palestinians from Gaza and took control, with their only agenda being 'drive all jews into the ocean'.
Don't forget it was Hamas that called for another intifada at a time when peace talks were finally seeming to lead somewhere (a 2 state solution, even).
Also let's not forget that the Grand Mufti allied with Hitler because Hitler promised to help deal with the Jews in Palestine.
Just saying that the hatred and attempt at driving out the jews goes way further back than the wall.It's not like Hamas, or molotov throwing Palestines are such poor innocent people.
And while the people in Gaza indeed live in a terrrible situation, their Hamas leaders are leading the good life in their Gaza villas.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:06:26 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 3514