Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3607338 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20190 on: May 25, 2018, 04:27:28 pm »

School shooting on my home turf this time.  Just on the other side of the city from me, about 45 minutes away.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20191 on: May 25, 2018, 05:21:18 pm »

People keep talking about controlling guns, another guy suggested that if there weren't so many doors in schools it would be easier to screen out potential shooters, but I think everyone is missing the point here.

The real problem isn't guns or doors, if we want to stop school shootings we need to get rid of schools.

DeVos was right?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20192 on: May 25, 2018, 05:24:31 pm »

People keep talking about controlling guns, another guy suggested that if there weren't so many doors in schools it would be easier to screen out potential shooters, but I think everyone is missing the point here.

The real problem isn't guns or doors, if we want to stop school shootings we need to get rid of schools.

DeVos was right?
Genius /s

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20193 on: May 25, 2018, 06:00:03 pm »

Ran into this discussion on Facebook, and the enlightened among us got around to the point that in order to prevent these horrible massacres of kids in school shootings, we need to get rid of kids.

It's the only logical conclusion... We need to treat this problem at the source.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20194 on: May 25, 2018, 06:06:15 pm »

Future generations will thank us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20195 on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:37 pm »

Future generations will thank us.

Probably, in all honesty.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20196 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:11 pm »

Ran into this discussion on Facebook, and the enlightened among us got around to the point that in order to prevent these horrible massacres of kids in school shootings, we need to get rid of kids.

It's the only logical conclusion... We need to treat this problem at the source.
We need to define when a kid stops being a kid. I propose reverse-Logan's run criterion. If you're under 30, off with you to the vaporizer.
Or to the soylent factory (just have to change the name this time, to avoid branding copyright issues with the existing product). Who knows, waffles made from tender flesh of our youth could actually taste better than the bland originals.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20197 on: May 25, 2018, 10:29:02 pm »

Who knows, waffles made from tender flesh of our youth could actually taste better than the bland originals.

They're not organic, though, and the Tide Pods would give them a weird aftertaste.

Millennials killed cannibalism.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:34:53 pm by Trekkin »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20198 on: May 25, 2018, 10:42:37 pm »

They're not organic, though, and the Tide Pods would give them a weird aftertaste.

Millennials killed cannibalism.
Surely, there must be some free range teenagers somewhere in Tibet, or rural Alabama.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20199 on: May 25, 2018, 11:19:05 pm »

DeVos was right?
Genius /s

Goodness no! Corporate America will NEVER allow it!  THINK about it-- if you get rid of schools, then one of the parents will *HAVE* to stay home, and that means halving the available candidate pool!!  It also means that demanding nonstop overtime for no additional payout will be a thing of the past (as the breadwinner can only work so many hours realistically due to increased homelife requirements), and also means increased expenses for the remaining employees that stay in the workforce!

No no no.  The corporate neo-fascists will NEVER permit it! NEVER!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20200 on: May 25, 2018, 11:21:55 pm »

Worry not!  The state will subsidize you to send your kid to an *actual* school, one with proper funding!

There's still a fee, of course.  A mere fraction of what an elite would otherwise spend.  You can pay, right?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:26:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20201 on: May 26, 2018, 12:37:18 am »

A better solution is to bring in more corporate branding.

https://www.essentialaction.org/spotlight/CokeSchool.html
https://www.motherjones.com/food/2012/08/schools-limit-campus-junk-food-have-lower-obesity-rates/

e.g. 80% of the schools already have Pepsi or Coca Cola branding, with sales targets for teachers to reach to keep getting the funding:
Colorado Springs District 11 signed a $8.1 million 10-year contract with Coca-Cola in August 1997 with an additional $3 million guaranteed if the district sells 70,000 cases of Coke products during one of the first three years.
 “If 35,493 staff and students bought one Coke product every other day for a school year (176 days),” Bushey wrote, “we would double (130,141) the required quota needed. We only need to beat the 70,000 case once in the next two years.”

As a result some schools were even saying you can't drink anything in class, unless it's Coke or Pepsi (which one depends on the school) in order to boost sales. Note, this wasn't the company rule, it's the school rule, to try and meet the Soda-company sales quota to avoid losing funding.

We can extend this rule to other categories. e.g. how about Nintendo vs Sony branded schools? You can only play on a 3DS into one, a Playstation Vita into the other, and they sell the consoles on credit at the school store? however I guess these days we should add Amazon branding to that, and you can only play around on a Kindle Fire at those.

Or how about a Marlboro vs Camels school? They have a quota of cigarettes to sell to the over 18 seniors, and the seniors are required to promote their brand to the younger students so we can get enough started by the time they're 18, to keep the school open?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:40:21 am by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20202 on: May 26, 2018, 12:40:31 am »

Guys, I've just figured out the solution to our problems: If we annex Canada, it'll drag out scores up in all the human development thingies!

Fucking foolproof plan right there. I'll get Trump on the line, we could have a twitter announcement within the week!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20203 on: May 26, 2018, 01:12:23 am »

Guys, I've just figured out the solution to our problems: If we annex Canada, it'll drag out scores up in all the human development thingies!

Fucking foolproof plan right there. I'll get Trump on the line, we could have a twitter announcement within the week!
AND - US average temperatures will drop. Global warming solved.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20204 on: May 26, 2018, 01:27:43 am »

If they want to be a state we were (and might still be) legally required to let them become one.

I'm not saying that annexing Canada wouldn't be significantly easier than convincing them to join voluntarily, only that there is another alternative.
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 3515